News Forum - Muslim students in southern Thailand protest against decriminalisation of cannabis

Thaiger

What a time to be alive, out of touch pro-authoritarian boomers suddenly siding with Muslims, just when I thought I'd seen it all. Perhaps its time to cash in your 3 ton Chang bottle collection, pack up your stool and head back to whatever drab and cold western country you've arrived from? That is if you're most affected by the latest cannabis amendment in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Links already debunked earlier...🤗🤗🤗

In what way were the earlier references debunked? You simply chose to ignore them. Try this one:

https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/health-effects/mental-health.html

Fact is that marijuana has well documented risks of mental illness. Some people become psychotic and violent when using it. 

Edited by dbrenn

27 minutes ago, Bill_Koomers said:

What a time to be alive, out of touch pro-authoritarian boomers suddenly siding with Muslims, just when I thought I'd seen it all. Perhaps its time to cash in your 3 ton Chang bottle collection, pack up your stool and head back to whatever drab and cold western country you've arrived from? That is if you're most affected by the latest cannabis amendment in Thailand. 

Britain is full of pot smoking Muslims too.

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

In what way were the earlier references debunked? You simply chose to ignore them. Try this one:

Fact is that marijuana has well documented risks of mental illness. Some people become psychotic and violent when using it. 

Debunked because:

1: mentally ill from the age of 3....

2: smoking crack and drinking alcohol on the day of the attack, couldn't get any weed in that day etc etc

But apparently it's the weed fault!

And so on .. 

Is you on crack?

9 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Debunked because:

1: mentally ill from the age of 3....

2: smoking crack and drinking alcohol on the day of the attack, couldn't get any weed in that day etc etc

But apparently it's the weed fault!

And so on .. 

Is you on crack?

Frustrated craving for the unavailable weed on the day had nothing to do with it then? Weed hangovers and scrambled thinking don't stop the moment a joint gets stubbed out.

I used to smoke the stuff myself, but gave up because it was getting in the way of living a successful life.

18 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Frustrated craving for the unavailable weed on the day had nothing to do with it then? Weed hangovers and scrambled thinking don't stop the moment a joint gets stubbed out.

I used to smoke the stuff myself, but gave up because it was getting in the way of living a successful life.

I think the crack and alcohol on the day more likely. 

Speaking from experience, no one cares about not having any weed when they're smoking crack! 😂😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I think the crack and alcohol on the day more likely. 

Speaking from experience, no one cares about not having any weed when they're smoking crack! 😂😂

Now you're guessing. Read that CDC advice again. Weed is known to trigger psychosis and long-term mental illness like schizophrenia in a cohort of its users. Whether or not you're simultaneously off your face on crack won't change that.

All the arguments you've put forward so far in defence of pot have more holes in them than Swiss cheese 🙂

Sure, smoking pot is fun, but to say that it has no risks is disingenuous, reckless and misleading.

7 hours ago, Skip said:

Yes... you didn't comprehend the written text... the .2% only applies to extracts used in edibles et al... there is no limit on the THC of the plant itself.

Well thanks, now I understand why muslims and elderly politicians are upset.

11 hours ago, Janneman said:

Dashboards of high-end German cars are made out of hemp fibre. Muslim countries are full of those cars. Will they start burning those cars?

Why would they, their kids aren't going to smoke the dashboards to get high. 🤣

I've smoked pot all my life.....and will continue to do so until I croak.

Neither me or any of the hundreds of people I know who do the same,  are violent or psychotic, quite the opposite in fact.

Now the friends I know that like to drink alcohol.....that's nearer the violent and psychotic end of the spectrum. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, astro said:

Why would they, their kids aren't going to smoke the dashboards to get high. 🤣

No of course not. It is just an example of how stupid certain laws might work. I just read that the Thai PM will ban 'all use of cannabis and hemp' on military premises. The dashboards of BMW's are made out of hemp. So if 'a concerned citizen' (of which there are plenty in Thailand) files a complaint because he spotted a BMW on a military premise what happens? Technically that BMW is a breach of the law.....

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Now you're guessing. Read that CDC advice again. Weed is known to trigger psychosis and long-term mental illness like schizophrenia in a cohort of its users. Whether or not you're simultaneously off your face on crack won't change that.

All the arguments you've put forward so far in defence of pot have more holes in them than Swiss cheese 🙂

Sure, smoking pot is fun, but to say that it has no risks is disingenuous, reckless and misleading.

And you're guessing too about that particular instance. 

You talk as if it's a guarantee that people who smoke weed will have mental problems, when that's simply not true. 

There is a very small chance that people with a PREDISPOSITION towards mental illness 'may' have some issues. 

And even that CDC link you cite mentions heavy daily users etc. 

I said previously everything in moderation remember. If you use any substance heavily it can't be good for you. 

I'd like to some talk world studies on percentage of pot smokers who've had schizophrenic episodes, and then comparisons with users of other substances. 

And seeing how it's now legal in so many US states, where is the related rise in violence etc, and the stats on that. 

Don't read about too many mass shootings in the Netherlands! 😆😆😆

Perhaps the gun laws in the US might be more of a problem. 

Is you worried about increased violence in Thailand due to marijuana?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dbrenn said:

You are right but then everything we consume have some health risks and if one is already a high risk person, then the chance that this product will affect his condition is logically higher. I speak from experience as my own brother, who already had obvious mental issues as a teenager, smoked daily all his life. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia sometime in his mid 20s and he has been a heavy case since... beating up people, shooting at people, he stabbed 2 people and spent some years in prison (where he did not belong to, and of course it made him worse), plenty of trips to the mad house, etc... Did smoking create that? No. Did it make him worse? I have 0 doubt about that.

I smoke my first joint at 14 and quickly became a daily user - we all did where I grew up. By the age of 22, smoking all day, it was making me slighty paranoid and certainly lazy and not motivated to do anything. I then left France for good and did not smoke a joint for 17 years. Nowadays I do smoke one or two on some occasions, usually after a night out back home listening to music. That suits me perfectly. It is all about finding the right balance, your limit and wether something you do is good or bad for you in your current health condition. Basically like everything we consume, wether we smoke it, eat it or drink it. I would say that anyone smoking without having previous mental conditions have pratically 0 risk of becoming psychotic or else.... unless they smoke 20+ joints daily for a long time. It is chemical after all, no chemical has 0 effect on human beings, good and bad.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

And you're guessing too about that particular instance. 

You talk as if it's a guarantee that people who smoke weed will have mental problems, when that's simply not true. 

There is a very small chance that people with a PREDISPOSITION towards mental illness 'may' have some issues. 

And even that CDC link you cite mentions heavy daily users etc. 

I said previously everything in moderation remember. If you use any substance heavily it can't be good for you. 

I'd like to some talk world studies on percentage of pot smokers who've had schizophrenic episodes, and then comparisons with users of other substances. 

And seeing how it's now legal in so many US states, where is the related rise in violence etc, and the stats on that. 

Don't read about too many mass shootings in the Netherlands! 😆😆😆

Perhaps the gun laws in the US might be more of a problem. 

Is you worried about increased violence in Thailand due to marijuana?

I wish I saw your post before writing mine, seems now like I just repeated your points .

On 6/21/2022 at 5:07 PM, jerm138 said:

Of course not. Their reference is probably some false-information meme they saw on Facebook. Or they watched “Reefer Madness” and believed it. 
I’m not going to proclaim that it’s 100% harmless, but the idea that it makes people violent is laughable. 
It’s less harmful to the human body than coffee. 

Although I don't agree with Oldschooler he is right about links between cannibis users and mental conditions and people that choose to partake should be aware. There are also links between cannabis use and cardiac events that need to be acknowledged as well... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7442038/#:~:text=Frequent use of cannabis%2C especially,high potency THC [18].

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/marijuana-and-heart-health-what-you-need-to-know

7 hours ago, Manu said:

You are right but then everything we consume have some health risks and if one is already a high risk person, then the chance that this product will affect his condition is logically higher. I speak from experience as my own brother, who already had obvious mental issues as a teenager, smoked daily all his life. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia sometime in his mid 20s and he has been a heavy case since... beating up people, shooting at people, he stabbed 2 people and spent some years in prison (where he did not belong to, and of course it made him worse), plenty of trips to the mad house, etc... Did smoking create that? No. Did it make him worse? I have 0 doubt about that.

I smoke my first joint at 14 and quickly became a daily user - we all did where I grew up. By the age of 22, smoking all day, it was making me slighty paranoid and certainly lazy and not motivated to do anything. I then left France for good and did not smoke a joint for 17 years. Nowadays I do smoke one or two on some occasions, usually after a night out back home listening to music. That suits me perfectly. It is all about finding the right balance, your limit and wether something you do is good or bad for you in your current health condition. Basically like everything we consume, wether we smoke it, eat it or drink it. I would say that anyone smoking without having previous mental conditions have pratically 0 risk of becoming psychotic or else.... unless they smoke 20+ joints daily for a long time. It is chemical after all, no chemical has 0 effect on human beings, good and bad.

Always good to get first hand information, and I'm sorry to hear about your brother. 

As you yourself experienced, even without serious problems like schizophrenia, weed did make you feel paranoid and lazy. Potheads are like that - it turns brains to mush, and like me, you wanted to make a success of your life so you gave it up.

14 hours ago, Janneman said:

Well thanks, now I understand why muslims and elderly politicians are upset.

Yes... they are upset... it cuts into their profit line on hashish and opium