News Forum - UN to take high ground on Thailand’s decision to delist cannabis

Thaiger

The United Nations is likely to take the high ground following Thailand’s controversial decision to delist cannabis, says an adviser to the UN’s International Narcotics Control Board. Thai-born Viroj Sumyai, who served as president of the UN’s INCB from 2017 to 2018, says Thailand will have to answer to the UN, and added that if it decides the bill violates the 1961 Convention on narcotic drugs, the government will be required to take corrective steps. “If those steps aren’t implemented, the INCB will ask for a resolution from the general assembly. If it is found the country’s growing areas will […]

The story UN to take high ground on Thailand’s decision to delist cannabis as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

What a joke... USA is leading the way in opening up recreational marijuana for the masses. What's the UN have to say about that? 

• Like 11

56 minutes ago, Cabra said:

What a joke... USA is leading the way in opening up recreational marijuana for the masses. What's the UN have to say about that? 

Doesn't that depend on which State you are in within the US of A?

I think the UN and WHO should get their collective heads together and come up with some bizarre suggestion.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Havana said:

Doesn't that depend on which State you are in within the US of A?

I think the UN and WHO should get their collective heads together and come up with some bizarre suggestion.

That's true. On both points 😂 As the US goes there are currently 19 states that have legalized rec weed. And more will likely follow. 

• Like 3

Lost interest in any thing UN after the supposed UN peacekeepers stood by as thousands were rounded up by ethnic cleansing factions in Serbia etc. some years ago.

Fat beauracrats living high while people starve and procrastinating while people die.

Useless and need to be disbanded.

• Like 6

The duality effects of legalizing marijuana. Here in America it is legal to purchase in some states and other states it is only legal for medical purposes. The majority of states say no to legalizing for many reasons, one in particular because people commit crimes to get it. Once addicted to marijuana that becomes a whole different issue. Kids don’t know any better and eventually after prolonged use step up there addiction smoking “weed” to a stronger substance. I’m glad I didn’t care for it when I was growing up, it made me tired, lazy and hungry. I had friends say it gave them energy 🤔 weird because they couldn’t hold a job 🤣. Thailand will just have to find out for themselves. 
Thank You

Marvin

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

More crimes and violence has been committed while under the influence of alcohol than any other drug.

More people are alcoholics that addicted to drugs

Alcohol is "cheap" in relation to  drugs yet alcohol can be bought anywhere from a hardware store in my village to the hairdresser.

Why is alcohol not banned ,and this is similar  right through the world, because there is a fortune being made in alcohol sales 

I have seen the devastation of the use of alcohol during my career

Ganja is  a drug but you will never stop the  use, once you make it legal the income of the traffickers is taken away.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Cabra said:

What about Canada where they have legalized it completely?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Marvin said:

The duality effects of legalizing marijuana. Here in America it is legal to purchase in some states and other states it is only legal for medical purposes. The majority of states say no to legalizing for many reasons, one in particular because people commit crimes to get it. Once addicted to marijuana that becomes a whole different issue. Kids don’t know any better and eventually after prolonged use step up there addiction smoking “weed” to a stronger substance. I’m glad I didn’t care for it when I was growing up, it made me tired, lazy and hungry. I had friends say it gave them energy 🤔 weird because they couldn’t hold a job 🤣. Thailand will just have to find out for themselves. 
Thank You

Marvin

If the drug is illegal then people are made into criminals by possessing it. Weed isn’t physically addictive like heroin. Prohibition only encourages criminal behavior often by gangs/ cartels. How did alcohol prohibition work out for USA?

• Like 3

Unbelievable, they cannot get to grips with controlling the use of Yabba. So how do they think they will be able to prevent the recreational use of cannabis.

Cannabis for Medical use should be grown in a controlled environment. People growing it in six pots (which we all know) will not be just six pots, are certainly not growing it for medical purposes and it will find its way both to severe road traffic accidents and as a supply source for smugglers. 

Perhaps the WHO and the UN should put their heads together and when smuggled product is found. Analyse it’s DNA to establish where it was grown (must be possible these days) and impose severe and deterring fines on those governments responsible for the careless attitude shown to its production and prevention of illicit use. 

IMO many live will be lost 

12 hours ago, Giltee said:

Thailand, the lands of smiles and giggles and the gateway to cannabis exporting around the world. 

They could make a huge export business out of it especially as countries around the world legalize it. Canada has already legalized recreational use countrywide and in the last election one major party in UK had legalization in their manifesto so it’s just a matter of time. Medical use of CBD etc could be a huge market with early access.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BBY said:

Unbelievable, they cannot get to grips with controlling the use of Yabba. So how do they think they will be able to prevent the recreational use of cannabis.

How has the USA war on drugs worked out? $Tns spent since the 70s and demand never even dipped. Prohibition doesn’t work and if there is demand criminal groups will always find a way to supply it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cabra said:

As you know, the USA is exceptional. In every respect that is. Where were the sanctions after it's unprovoked attacks on sovereign nations ? So, whether it is about growing cannabis, attacking nations, torturing prisoners and locking them up without due process the US is never held to the same standards as they impose on others.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Donald said:

As you know, the USA is exceptional. In every respect that is. Where were the sanctions after it's unprovoked attacks on sovereign nations ? So, whether it is about growing cannabis, attacking nations, torturing prisoners and locking them up without due process the US is never held to the same standards as they impose on others.

That’s right. Although they choose to impose their standards selectively ( Saudi Arabia gets a free pass!) Also as permanent member of the security council they can veto anything that they don’t like 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Donald said:

I don't want to get too far off topic... Their exceptionalism is in their minds only. Except for weed. They do have an exceptional marijuana  products and practices 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2022 at 8:52 AM, Stevejm said:

How has the USA war on drugs worked out? $Tns spent since the 70s and demand never even dipped. Prohibition doesn’t work and if there is demand criminal groups will always find a way to supply it.

So do you really think increasing its availability does work.

3 hours ago, BBY said:

So do you really think increasing its availability does work.

It’s not about increasing availability. It’s about taking the supply away from criminal gangs and not filling jails up with people caught in possession of a plant that even grows in the wild in some places. The $Tns spent by USA achieved nothing other than lining the pockets of defence contractors and criminal gangs. The educational campaigns did nothing to stifle demand either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevejm said:

It’s not about increasing availability.

But that is exactly what Thailand will have done is it not. Now whole villages that never before dreamed of growing cannabis are all now planting it thinking it’s the next big thing to make money with. I do appreciate that it will never be prevented, but I do think encouraging the population to grow it legally is a mistake. Give it time, we will all start to see the effects before long. 

I find it somewhat funny that the very same people who make a fuss about needing to eat organic foods  and avoiding toxic foods and chemicals have no problem inhaling the smoke of a substance that is as poisonous and carcinogenic as tobacco, or eating the extracts thereof. The same people who imagine  all sorts of ill effects from vaccines, yet claim  all sorts of benefits from THC despite there being no clinical evidence to support such claims.  We all know tobacco is dangerous, and yet there is a welcome embrace of cannabis as if it is a harmless substance, as safe or safer than tobacco. Remember when amphetamines  were the  wonder drug  that were harmless but gave us pep,  and there were synthetic opioids the harmless painkillers, and now cannabis the wonder cureall.  Opium has been around as long as cannabis and so has the coca leaf. They are all natural and yet are banned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BBY said:

But that is exactly what Thailand will have done is it not. Now whole villages that never before dreamed of growing cannabis are all now planting it thinking it’s the next big thing to make money with. I do appreciate that it will never be prevented, but I do think encouraging the population to grow it legally is a mistake. Give it time, we will all start to see the effects before long. 

Classic example of a selective quote 😂

1 hour ago, BBY said:

I can see it becoming very big business especially for export. The part of my post that you didn’t quote was about criminal gangs who currently supply demand in countries where it isn’t legal.

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

I find it somewhat funny that the very same people who make a fuss about needing to eat organic foods  and avoiding toxic foods and chemicals have no problem inhaling the smoke of a substance that is as poisonous and carcinogenic as tobacco, or eating the extracts thereof

Who are these organic eating people that you refer to? Surely you are not trying to apply the old hippy stereotype to the current time. I don’t think weed is carcinogenic when its eaten is it?