News Forum - Cop gets 50 years for taking bribes from Thai massage parlour

Thaiger

The Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases yesterday sentenced a cop to 50 years in prison for taking bribes, totalling 641,000 baht, from a Bangkok massage parlour. The unnamed police officer was indicted on 65 counts of bribe-taking after turning a blind eye to illegal activities at the massage parlour on Ratchadaphisek Road. The ruling was published in a Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission news bulletin last month which revealed the policeman, attached to the Metropolitan Police Bureau’s Investigation Division, was found guilty of bribe-taking. The court found the defendant guilty of violating the anti-graft law and was initially […]

The story Cop gets 50 years for taking bribes from Thai massage parlour as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

If put all the police that take the envelope in jail then there will not many left specialy the high up that own miljons and have 40.000 bath salary 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Prosaap said:

If put all the police that take the envelope in jail then there will not many left specialy the high up that own miljons and have 40.000 bath salary 

You took the words right out of my mouth. I had a friend who owned a bar in Bkk and she closed her bar and went into hiding because she couldn’t pay the bribes. It’s common knowledge you pay to keep open or for protection. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

80,000 baht.Books seized revealed bribes were being paid to officers from a number of prominent city police departments. One of the books showed that over 300,000 baht in bribes were paid to a number of state officials, some picking up 5,000 baht a month while others were claiming about 800,00 baht.

Bet he was the bunny thrown under the bus.

We can only hope they'll get real serious and name the state officials and jail them too.

Wishful thinking.

I bet it wasn’t the bribes but the collusion in human trafficking that is the real story here. Cops accepting bribes sound more palatable to the public than cops helping sell underage girls. It helps explain the original sentence of 325 years as opposed to transfer to an inactive post. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, palooka said:

We can only hope they'll get real serious and name the state officials and jail them too.

Who would be left, to jail culprits?

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases yesterday sentenced a cop to 50 years in prison for taking bribes, totalling 641,000 baht, from a Bangkok massage parlour. The unnamed police officer was indicted on 65 counts of bribe-taking after turning a blind eye to illegal activities at the massage parlour on Ratchadaphisek Road. The ruling was published in a Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission news bulletin last month which revealed the policeman, attached to the Metropolitan Police Bureau’s Investigation Division, was found guilty of bribe-taking. The court found the defendant guilty of violating the anti-graft law and was initially […]

The story Cop gets 50 years for taking bribes from Thai massage parlour as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

He fell out with his bosses is likely the real story here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Giltee said:

You took the words right out of my mouth. I had a friend who owned a bar in Bkk and she closed her bar and went into hiding because she couldn’t pay the bribes. It’s common knowledge you pay to keep open or for protection. 

Surely putting cops in jail for corruption is a good thing so it should be applauded.

2 hours ago, Prosaap said:

Many countries in the west had corrupt police until they decided to enforce the law. Small steps forward are a good thing and should be supported

Edited by Stevejm

4 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Who would be left, to jail culprits?

I'm sure there are plenty of volunteers who would be happy to oblige, particularly the ones being skinned for years.

• Like 1

the first known instance of this type of corruption in 20 years.  proof of the honesty and dedication of the thai police forces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, Giltee said:

Why go into hiding ? If you can't pay the police you close down and walk away and let someone else have a go.

Gambling debts are usually what makes Thais go 'into hiding'.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Many countries in the west had corrupt police until they decided to enforce the law. Small steps forward are a good thing and should be supported

'had' ? Western police forces are riddled with it. It's just not so in your face there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Benroon said:

'had' ? Western police forces are riddled with it. It's just not so in your face there.

You are right. I stand corrected. Same with Western politicians

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 11:42 PM, Grumpish said:

Maybe he wasn't passing as much of the take up the chain of command as he should have been.

Another will take his place soon

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 12:27 PM, palooka said:

80,000 baht.Books seized revealed bribes were being paid to officers from a number of prominent city police departments. One of the books showed that over 300,000 baht in bribes were paid to a number of state officials, some picking up 5,000 baht a month while others were claiming about 800,00 baht.

Bet he was the bunny thrown under the bus.

Wishful thinking.

Very wishful... don't hold your breath 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 5:24 PM, Stevejm said:

You are right. I stand corrected. Same with Western politicians

Politicians? All western politicians are fine, honest, hard-working members who are only doing the job for their constituents and their country... sorry, haven't had my medication yet...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 10:18 AM, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

And this is news why? One cop who obviously didn't pay off those up the ladder...