News Forum - Bangkok’s governor says officials will discuss easing outdoor mask requirement

Thaiger

After the confusing mask policy flip-flop in Phuket, Bangkok’s governor Chadchart Sittipunt has announced plans to discuss easing mask requirements in Thailand’s capital. Chadchart stated late this week that Bangok Metropolitan Administration will meet with public health and medical departments to discuss the outdoor mask-wearing regulation. Chadchart did not, however, specify when the meeting will happen. The governor also plans on looking into legally extending closing times for night venues past midnight, the current closing time. He said that having an early closing time seemed to only make things more crowded, and disappointed foreign tourists. Thailand’s party-pooper-in-chief, Public Health Minister […]

The story Bangkok’s governor says officials will discuss easing outdoor mask requirement as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Day after day for months now, everytime I read one these articles with headlines "will discuss", "easing requirements", bla bla bla... I have had this funny music playing in my head but I could not figure out which one. I know now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well at least someone has a brain and wants to change the rules based on logic and disease control rather than just controlling the population on superstition. 

• Like 3

As long as the Junta doesn't browbeat him into submission. How dare someone even consider opposing the generals!

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

This guy needs to be very very careful. Having a logical thought is tantamount to treason in Thailand. 

I love the rumblings how the government might consider a new law to prevent public office holders from later criminal charges brought by a new government. Geee I wonder why they’d have to do that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

I love the rumblings how the government might consider a new law to prevent public office holders from later criminal charges brought by a new government. Geee I wonder why they’d have to do that.  

As you will have seen, I can be as critical of the Thai power machine as anyone else. I often get frustrated that sometimes it can feel no one is doing anything about it. However, sometimes, in my more measured moments, I try to imagine how I would feel had I been born Thai. I really feel Thailand missed a few opportunities to get the elite and corrupt out of power and establish a full and proper functioning democracy.  First in 1932 with the Siam revolution and a change to a constitutional and again in 1973. Since then, those in power have further strengthened the legislature to ensure nothing on the scale of those two uprisings could ever happen again. They have developed a country where few people starve and have never lost thousands to war. People have just enough to keep the majority calm and quiet. They have deliberately kept education standards low and foreign influence to a minimum. At the same time they have developed a clever strategy of a neutral stance on outside political issues and appearing to be friends with everyone. 

It seems there is very little hope that the latest generation will revolt on a scale which brings about rapid change. It feels like this will be a slow burn over the next century. Perhaps some amazing leader will emerge who genuinely wants to serve the nation and the people for no reward. Highly unlikely, as I see most Thais simply looking to get their turn at the trough. Corruption is no longer a shameful act and everything comes with a price attached. Even in day to day exchanges within the local villages, help by those paid to help, is now offered at a price. 

Fortunately for me and many on this forum, we weren’t born in to such a system. Hence we have the luxury of seeing the problems with clarity and an level of education to question the failures of the system.

The one thing that genuinely moves me to tears, is seeing the younger generation who’s talent knows no bounds, being held back simply because they don’t have the opportunity to succeed without the money to pay the right people. To then see those same kids being beaten and tear gassed for simply wanting change is disturbing. I’m ashamed of my own country for doing nothing to try and put pressure on Thailand to change its ways. I often ask why the Thais don’t stand up and sort it out and yet perhaps I could do my part by asking my own government to do more. From time to time the EU and other leading G7 nations step in and question them on issues such as human trafficking and intellectual property theft, but it’s nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Powerful and influential Thais can still own businesses and even Premier League football teams in my country. The West is just as capable of speaking with two faces as the Thais are.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

Well at least someone has a brain and wants to change the rules based on logic

But ….. the biggest point they said here was the favourite politicians word ………. Discussed !

I am sure this discussion can last for years, whilst waiting for the Thai government to save there face with a political decision ….. after the general election of course. 😂😂😂.    😉😉😉 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

As you will have seen, I can be as critical of the Thai power machine as anyone else.

Ok soidog, let’s see how critical you can be of your next Thai hotel stay, on Expedia? The hotel owners seem to have more clout in the justice system in shutting Thai people, and non-Thai up. Scary when the government wakes up to this …. And takes all those peeps to court that say they are as bad as the hotel rooms you stayed in.

1 minute ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Ok soidog, let’s see how critical you can be of your next Thai hotel stay, on Expedia? The hotel owners seem to have more clout in the justice system in shutting Thai people, and non-Thai up. Scary when the government wakes up to this …. And takes all those peeps to court that say they are as bad as the hotel rooms you stayed in.

Im critical but not suicidal. Criticising the government is one thing. Upsetting a hotel is a whole new level. For the record. I think all hotels in Thailand are simply wonderful 😉

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Im critical but not suicidal.

I thought so 🤣🤣🤣🤣.     No one flames hotel owners. ….. but you also did not say, upsetting a Thai girlfriend is a whole nuclear war level !

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

I thought so 🤣🤣🤣🤣.     No one flames hotel owners. ….. but you also did not say, upsetting a Thai girlfriend is a whole nuclear war level !

Armageddon is a word that comes to mind when it comes to doing things like that 😱

D8F24351-916E-49AD-B77D-97FA236EA818.gif

• Haha 1

Just now, Soidog said:

Armageddon is a word that comes to mind when it comes to doing things like that

Didn’t realise your girls name was Amber Heard !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Didn’t realise your girls name was Amber Heard !

She would be a pussy cat compared to some of the Thai women 😂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

But ….. the biggest point they said here was the favourite politicians word ………. Discussed !

I am sure this discussion can last for years, whilst waiting for the Thai government to save there face with a political decision ….. after the general election of course. 😂😂😂.    😉😉😉 

Typically I’d agree with you — but the implication from the statement is not whether it should be done but how to do it. 
Even though the mask is a provincial order it’s a requirement from the CCSA. I suspect he wants to discuss how to do it. 

I hope he's successful, but I suspect the chances of anywhere in the country being allowed to drop mask wearing outdoors, even at beaches and parks (I know, who would wear a muzzle at the beach, but it remains an official requirement) will not be entertained before July 1.

I think that on July 1st, there is a chance the CCSA will allow outdoor mask wearing to be eased, this time nationwide all at once OR in those provinces which at the time are considered to be green and blue zones. I think that will be 45-55 provinces by next month when the rezoning takes place, up from the present 31 provinces.

If I were to take a guess, the earliest we might see an end to indoor masking will be around September or October, but it might not be until 2023.

I can definitely see the emergency decree extended again next month.

Edited by Highlandman

19 hours ago, Soidog said:

As you will have seen, I can be as critical of the Thai power machine as anyone else. I often get frustrated that sometimes it can feel no one is doing anything about it. However, sometimes, in my more measured moments, I try to imagine how I would feel had I been born Thai. I really feel Thailand missed a few opportunities to get the elite and corrupt out of power and establish a full and proper functioning democracy.  First in 1932 with the Siam revolution and a change to a constitutional and again in 1973. Since then, those in power have further strengthened the legislature to ensure nothing on the scale of those two uprisings could ever happen again. They have developed a country where few people starve and have never lost thousands to war. People have just enough to keep the majority calm and quiet. They have deliberately kept education standards low and foreign influence to a minimum. At the same time they have developed a clever strategy of a neutral stance on outside political issues and appearing to be friends with everyone. 

It seems there is very little hope that the latest generation will revolt on a scale which brings about rapid change. It feels like this will be a slow burn over the next century. Perhaps some amazing leader will emerge who genuinely wants to serve the nation and the people for no reward. Highly unlikely, as I see most Thais simply looking to get their turn at the trough. Corruption is no longer a shameful act and everything comes with a price attached. Even in day to day exchanges within the local villages, help by those paid to help, is now offered at a price. 

Fortunately for me and many on this forum, we weren’t born in to such a system. Hence we have the luxury of seeing the problems with clarity and an level of education to question the failures of the system.

The one thing that genuinely moves me to tears, is seeing the younger generation who’s talent knows no bounds, being held back simply because they don’t have the opportunity to succeed without the money to pay the right people. To then see those same kids being beaten and tear gassed for simply wanting change is disturbing. I’m ashamed of my own country for doing nothing to try and put pressure on Thailand to change its ways. I often ask why the Thais don’t stand up and sort it out and yet perhaps I could do my part by asking my own government to do more. From time to time the EU and other leading G7 nations step in and question them on issues such as human trafficking and intellectual property theft, but it’s nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Powerful and influential Thais can still own businesses and even Premier League football teams in my country. The West is just as capable of speaking with two faces as the Thais are.   

There's actually a lot of western influence in Thailand, but the Thais pick and choose what they like (or what works for them).

Despite having once been a British colony, I feel there is far less western influence in Myanmar (formerly known as Burma). The military regime there have spent decades dismantling western [British] influences to the point the only ones that remain are an ability to speak English among the educated upper classes and some crumbling colonial architecture in cities like Yangon, Mandalay, Pyin Oo Lwin, Mawlamyine (Moulmein) and a few others.

• Like 1