News Forum - Student association at Mahidol University decides to end “sexist” beauty pageant

Thaiger

The Mahidol University Student Association has decided to put an end to an in-house beauty pageant that judges contestants solely on their looks. According to a Bangkok Post report, the human rights activist Wasan Paileeklee supports the decision, saying students can now focus on organising competitions that reward intellectual ability, provided these meet with public approval. “The beauty contests may not be abusive if they are operated with fair criteria and do not bully or de-humanise contestants. But the criteria should also involve their knowledge, skills, personalities, manners, and wit. Students are scholars and they are expected to show more […]

The story Student association at Mahidol University decides to end “sexist” beauty pageant as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What about the dummies that have only their looks to trade on? They need to have every available opportunity to get ahead in life. Besides. there is a limit to how many single mothers I can support. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I recall some 15-20 years ago having conversations with young Thai people and explaining some of the laws and social changes happening in my country. At the time it was things like the laws for the wearing of seat belts. The need to have children in a safety seat. Equality for gay and transgenders. Sexual harassment and discrimination in the workplace etc etc. Everyone of them all said that these things would never happen in Thailand. I told them that if they wanted to see some of the social changes and what their world would be like in 20 years time, then look no further than western countries. Most, if not all of the things I told them back then are happening or already happened. 

Of course much of this is driven by the fully connected, always on, social media world. This presents particular challenges for a conservative nation like Thailand. As a result, the social and political tensions this creates are getting stronger by the day. Like a great earthquake, at some point it will get triggered. 

Student association at Mahidol University decides to end “sexist” beauty pageant

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

an in-house beauty pageant that judges contestants solely on their looks.

..... Please... Don't suck Thailand into this bs. Where can people go now to avoid the crying about how unequal everything is? Let's keep that bs in the west. 

I read the other day about the defamation law and that new rule about protecting people's data. Imagine mixing this crap with those rules. Living here, I'm really worried, but abroad they might be grabbing their popcorn already.