Why is "Pattaya the Sex Capital of Thailand"?

Thaidup

2 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

It seems that some people feel quaffed to comment on Pattaya without ever having been there - you can tell by the unfounded assumptions they make that their opinions have little validity and are misleading.

1 hour ago, Khunwilko said:

QED

Why generalize?  Point to the specific comment that leads you to believe this.  We even have a handy quote button to help you out.

I think the main issue is you refuse to acknowledge that the center of tourism and touristic commerce in Pattaya is built around the sex tourism industry.  Sure expats choose to live there, probably for a multitude of reasons; the low cost of living, the quality of life, the reasonable access to quality medical, etc, but to deny that the main draw of Pattaya is, and has been its links to the sex industry is completely absurd to anyone that's actually walked the streets there.

Is there a move to make Pattaya more family friendly?  Of course there is, because as Thailand develops Pattaya will naturally price itself out attracting the type of tourist it currently does.  The process is fluid, and in motion.  Young women tend to decline selling themselves to old fat dudes if they have options.  The "monger" scene there will move on to someplace else.  All of that said, it's completely delusional to suggest that the main draw of Pattaya isn't the bars and gogos; you can admit that and also acknowledge that there is a big chunk of people that go for other reasons (like Russians that take the family to Jomtien to buy their kids knockoff designer clothing for the school year). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgsanta said:

Why generalize?  Point to the specific comment that leads you to believe this.  We even have a handy quote button to help you out.

I think the main issue is you refuse to acknowledge that the center of tourism and touristic commerce in Pattaya is built around the sex tourism industry.  Sure expats choose to live there, probably for a multitude of reasons; the low cost of living, the quality of life, the reasonable access to quality medical, etc, but to deny that the main draw of Pattaya is, and has been its links to the sex industry is completely absurd to anyone that's actually walked the streets there.

Is there a move to make Pattaya more family friendly?  Of course there is, because as Thailand develops Pattaya will naturally price itself out attracting the type of tourist it currently does.  The process is fluid, and in motion.  Young women tend to decline selling themselves to old fat dudes if they have options.  The "monger" scene there will move on to someplace else.  All of that said, it's completely delusional to suggest that the main draw of Pattaya isn't the bars and gogos; you can admit that and also acknowledge that there is a big chunk of people that go for other reasons (like Russians that take the family to Jomtien to buy their kids knockoff designer clothing for the school year). 

100%

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 2:24 PM, Wanderer said:

Still no real answer, I figure its just a rumor, like I said BKK has more available and I have never been to Phuket.

On 7/3/2022 at 5:23 PM, Khunwilko said:

If you've ever been to Pattaya, you'll know this is wildly inaccurate

You quoted me as saying "the heart of the city", it was pgsanta, somehow you attached my name to his post. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thaidup said:

I figure its just a rumor

You guys, just dont get it, This goes back to the 1960's and the Vietnam War, Pattaya was the R&R for the infantry and it built from then on. Or tell me I am wrong?👍 Lets get some history on why it has the reputation.🙂

And then we can discuss if that reputation is still worthy today.👍

17 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

You guys, just dont get it, This goes back to the 1960's and the Vietnam War, Pattaya was the R&R for the infantry and it built from then on. Or tell me I am wrong?👍 Lets get some history on why it has the reputation.🙂

And then we can discuss if that reputation is still worthy today.👍

We all know the history, but we are able to understand  and analyse it - Pattaya has evolved since then. UK was built on tobacco and slavery but although they have ramifications today they are not predominant characteristics of the country today.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 1:19 PM, Khunwilko said:

Good grief! Is that what you understood from my post????

You posted this,

We all know the history, but we are able to understand  and analyse it - Pattaya has evolved since then. UK was built on tobacco and slavery but although they have ramifications today they are not predominant characteristics of the country today.

Thailand was built on kingdoms, war and, conflict for the area currently designated as "Thailand" and I will slip this one in "Siam never Colonized" But we don't think of the Thais as warriors, in the Land of Smiles?

Thailand had slaves too as did most countries of the time.

On 7/29/2022 at 6:28 PM, Thaidup said:

You posted this,

Thailand was built on kingdoms, war and, conflict for the area currently designated as "Thailand" and I will slip this one in "Siam never Colonized" But we don't think of the Thais as warriors, in the Land of Smiles?

Thailand had slaves too as did most countries of the time.

Yes - want do you want ? Everyone knows this but you don't seem to be following the OP.

I get the feeling you've just read a Thai history book and want to tell everyone. but don't seem to realise we have all read that. The difference being we know how to analyse what we read and relate it to today.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2022 at 1:50 AM, Khunwilko said:

Yes - want do you want ? Everyone knows this but you don't seem to be following the OP.

I get the feeling you've just read a Thai history book and want to tell everyone. but don't seem to realise we have all read that. The difference being we know how to analyse what we read and relate it to today.

Nope. Never read a history book after high school.👍

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Nope. Never read a history book after high school.👍

which is why you know nothing about how to interpret history. You seriously don't know how to identify a reliable or quality source of information.....except "I read it on the Net" - or "the Sun".

It's called the Dunning Kruger effect

Edited by Khunwilko
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

which is why you know nothing about how to interpret history.

It's only a discussion Khunwilko, It is my OP, asking why Pattaya is considered this way when BKK has much wider population,of this activity, Kind of a conversation starter was my intention, OK. but if you want to get into slavery and tobacco, maybe start a new thread👍 i promise to be your first comment.(within the hour)

The slavery thread would be interesting, As I cant think of any advanced society/democracy that did not have it in their past? 

1 minute ago, Thaidup said:

It's only a discussion Khunwilko, It is my OP, asking why Pattaya is considered this way when BKK has much wider population,of this activity,

I think that's a pretty simple answer

80-90% of Bangkok would have no visible p4p scene

Whereas the tourist area of Pattaya, you would be hard pressed to walk 2 sois without seeing some sort of p4p scene

Some family on holiday could be almost anywhere in Bangkok, with the exception of lower Suk and never see any p4p at all

• Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 8:37 PM, Chaimai said:

As I said, my experience is not as broad as some......... but the topic is "sex capital of Thailand" so the above comments are redundant.

In addition, I would like to say that girls in Dominican Republic are very different from Thais.

I would not like to speak ill of Latinas but I strongly prefer Thai ladies 😉 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Dmitrii said:

I would like to say that girls in Dominican Republic are very different from Thais.

Are there no women in the Dom Rep? 🤪

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, astro said:

Are there no women in the Dom Rep? 🤪

Can you define a what a Woman is?🤣

LOL, I used to tease a bloke on a different forum about his support of LGBT jargon, All I had to do was post a video, and I think he went off to the bathroom alone,🤣