Jump to content

Why is "Pattaya the Sex Capital of Thailand"?


Thaidup
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I mean this has got to be a joke, no?

The whole place has bars and gogo's all over it

To say otherwise is just laughable

Another expert who has been there once and never went out of the farang ghetto. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is not the "whole place". 

Go from 3rd Road to Sukhumvit.? 

The dark side.? Naklua.? Jomtien.? 

Plenty of bars and go-go's, but all over it? No, sorry. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2022 at 1:05 AM, Pinetree said:

I can think of several, all of Haiti, Dominican Republic,  Cities in Columbia, Panama, I could go on.  Prime among such locations is Angeles City in the PI, plus Subic Bay itself. Pattaya is a baby in comparison. 

Sorry I would strongly disagree............to the point I am shocked the comparison was made with these Latin America locations

 

None of them come close to any comparison to the size of Pattaya p4p, IMO

 

Dominican Republic

The most popular area for that is Sosua and it is really one small block

Colombia

Been to Cartegena and Medellin....Cartegena had one small area where freelancers hung out and I know of(not been) to one big club

Medellin had one small strip away from any tourist area

 

Panama............

2 places in all of Panama I knew had p4p, one big Casino and then one small bar

 

All of those places aren't even 1/16th of the amount that Pattaya

 

The biggest place in Latin America for p4p is Costa Rica and 2 places were pretty prevelant, San Jose and Jaco Beach.........both had a lot and still don't compare to how big it is in Pattaya

 

I've never been to Phillipines so can't add to that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Another expert who has been there once and never went out of the farang ghetto. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is not the "whole place". 

Go from 3rd Road to Sukhumvit.? 

The dark side.? Naklua.? Jomtien.? 

Plenty of bars and go-go's, but all over it? No, sorry. 

That is not the debate, whether Pattaya has anything else to offer

It is undeniably, and absolutely in the converstion, as the RLD capital of the world

 

Again to say otherwise is downright laughable and delusional

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

That is not the debate, whether Pattaya has anything else to offer

It is undeniably, and absolutely in the converstion, as the RLD capital of the world

Again to say otherwise is downright laughable and delusional

You said "the whole place has bars and go-go's all over it". Palpably untrue. 

Pattaya is what it is, which is why I first went in 1997, why I have spent much of my time there since, including 33 of the last 36 months and why I will be back next week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Broadly inaccurate. If you have ever actually been to Pattaya you saw exactly what you wanted to see and no more. 

To answer both the OP and pgsanta Pattaya is a lot cheaper than Bangkok. 

I guess it depends on what you call the heart of the city, but I'll bite, because either way the only two areas you could realistically argue as being the "heart of the city" are both completely built around the bar/gogo + associated side services to go with supporting the people that frequent them.

If you feel differently... please enlighten us. 

I'm not pointing to any of these facts with a pejorative tone.  If you're into bars and gogos, cool.  I just happen to get tired of that scene pretty quickly, and much prefer the complete experience Bangkok offers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Another expert who has been there once and never went out of the farang ghetto. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is not the "whole place". 

Go from 3rd Road to Sukhumvit.? 

The dark side.? Naklua.? Jomtien.? 

Plenty of bars and go-go's, but all over it? No, sorry. 

You're such an expert, yet you can't recognize that even locals don't include Jomtien as being part of Pattaya, because it isn't?  Pattaya City is Pattaya, and it's what is most commonly referred to when people speak about Pattaya.  Obviously the north side in particular is going to have a different vibe than close to central, but it's nothing but chugging down the smell of your own fart to suggest that somehow the high end condo/large resort area is representative of why people go to Pattaya, or what they associate with Pattaya, or even what is actually in the most frequented parts of Pattaya.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never used the expression the heart of the city. If you've been there recently you'll know that the centre has changed drastically from pre covid times, I've been away now just over a month and when I return next week I will notice many changes again. More places reopening and more people arriving. I have never been a go go fan and I was happier when it was quiet. But what will be will be, I am sure it will be OK, anyone who doesn't like the rowdy bits can easily find calmer spots. But it will always be Pattaya. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wanderer said:

I never used the expression the heart of the city. If you've been there recently you'll know that the centre has changed drastically from pre covid times, I've been away now just over a month and when I return next week I will notice many changes again. More places reopening and more people arriving. I have never been a go go fan and I was happier when it was quiet. But what will be will be, I am sure it will be OK, anyone who doesn't like the rowdy bits can easily find calmer spots. But it will always be Pattaya. 

Alright, this I can get behind.  I just think it's silly to suggest the southern section, or northern section are representative of what the bulk of people go to Pattaya on holiday for.  

I know a lot of people choose to live in those areas, because they are great areas, but the vast majority of tourists aren't headed to Jomtien or Naklua to take advantage of the nice condos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Wanderer said:

You said "the whole place has bars and go-go's all over it". Palpably untrue. 

Pattaya is what it is, which is why I first went in 1997, why I have spent much of my time there since, including 33 of the last 36 months and why I will be back next week. 

When you have huge bar complexes of prostitutes that stretch 3 or 4 streets back and 20 or so blocks wide, it is "all over it"

Dusit Thai to Walking Street is 4.4kms and there is bars and gogos all in between

4.4 kms of prostitution....................

 

Again, to suggest otherwise is downright delusional

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2022 at 8:24 AM, Wanderer said:

If you've ever been to Pattaya you know the heart of the city is basically a giant strip of gogos, bars, massage places etc.

If you've ever been to Pattaya, you'll know this is wildly inaccurate

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

Looks like many of the critics of Pattaya on this thread either haven't been there or are victims of confirmation bias.

If you have an obsession with all things salacious, you could spend you time in a few sois leering at the prostitutes. They are after all aimed at middle-aged white men.

However the rest of the town isn't.

Nowadays it's largely in 2 halves divided by the Sukhumvit road. The east side (locally referred to as "The Dark Side") is largely residential. probably the biggest conglomeration of expats in Thailand. The West side is the tourist centre.

Good value hotels, shopping centres and restaurants that reflect the international character of the visitors.

The resort now caters for general tourists and families - the old "sex" tourist are increasingly finding themselves marginalised. Many of the old streets are getting developed for hotels as the real estate values become to much for "girlie-bars".

Families far outnumber the seedy tourists these days and the city is surrounded by attractions that appeal to families - theme parks, water parks zoos etc.

Pattaya is a very "urban" holiday destination - it's not like the Southern "Paradise" islands, but most of the customers don't really want that. It can be quite frenetic at times, but there are beaches nearby that are quite reasonable.

it is also a great "hub" for those who want to tour around locally or even the whole country.

It's accessible by bus taxi and rail from Bangkok. ... and has a local international airport.

I think the title of "sex capital" reflects more on those using that expression than the town itself.

 

Edited by Khunwilko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2022 at 5:24 PM, Marc26 said:

When you have huge bar complexes of prostitutes that stretch 3 or 4 streets back and 20 or so blocks wide, it is "all over it"

Dusit Thai to Walking Street is 4.4kms and there is bars and gogos all in between

4.4 kms of prostitution....................

Again, to suggest otherwise is downright delusional

I think you might be a bit disappointed, or even rather embarrassed if you think that of most of the establishments in that area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

I think you might be a bit disappointed, or even rather embarrassed if you think that of most of the establishments in that area.

So you think he would have difficulty finding a hooker if he took that route?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Chaimai said:

So you think he would have difficulty finding a hooker if he took that route?

I think he'd walk into a place thinking it was a brothel only to be told it wasn't.

 

I'm continually amused that tourists fail to see brothels all over Thailand. The ones they see are aimed at westerners, but the home grown industry seems to go largely unnoticed by visitors. They are certainly not confined to Pattaya. 

Before Covid Pattaya was getting about 10 million visitors per annum and they are not sex tourists.

 

th Soi along Beach road ae now increasingly being taken over by Hotels and other new builds - this is quite simply because the real estate value has outstripped the sex industry, which is gradually  being supplanted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

I think he'd walk into a place thinking it was a brothel only to be told it wasn't.

I'm continually amused that tourists fail to see brothels all over Thailand. The ones they see are aimed at westerners, but the home grown industry seems to go largely unnoticed by visitors. They are certainly not confined to Pattaya. 

Before Covid Pattaya was getting about 10 million visitors per annum and they are not sex tourists.

th Soi along Beach road ae now increasingly being taken over by Hotels and other new builds - this is quite simply because the real estate value has outstripped the sex industry, which is gradually  being supplanted.

 

I wasn't talking about Beach Road.

 

I know my ar5e from my elbow and I know a bordello from a 7-11.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chaimai said:

I wasn't talking about Beach Road.

I know my ar5e from my elbow and I know a bordello from a 7-11.

So what are you taking about?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2022 at 5:23 PM, Khunwilko said:

If you've ever been to Pattaya, you'll know this is wildly inaccurate

I never used the expression "heart of the city", that was pgsanta. I also disagreed with his sentiments. 

In lieu of a heartfelt apology, a pint of Draught Tiger ordered and paid for in Witherspoons early next week will suffice. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

So what are you taking about?

The area that you commented on:-

 

"Dusit Thai to Walking Street "

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Chaimai said:

The area that you commented on:-

"Dusit Thai to Walking Street "

that's called Beach road

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

that's called Beach road

 

 

Thank you for confirming your incomplete knowledge of the geography of Pattaya.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2022 at 12:49 AM, Khunwilko said:

I think he'd walk into a place thinking it was a brothel only to be told it wasn't.

I'm continually amused that tourists fail to see brothels all over Thailand. The ones they see are aimed at westerners, but the home grown industry seems to go largely unnoticed by visitors. They are certainly not confined to Pattaya. 

Before Covid Pattaya was getting about 10 million visitors per annum and they are not sex tourists.

th Soi along Beach road ae now increasingly being taken over by Hotels and other new builds - this is quite simply because the real estate value has outstripped the sex industry, which is gradually  being supplanted.

Hey you are happy living there, that is all that matters

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems that some people feel quaffed to comment on Pattaya without ever having been there - you can tell by the unfounded assumptions they make that their opinions have little validity and are misleading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

It seems that some people feel quaffed to comment on Pattaya without ever having been there - you can tell by the unfounded assumptions they make that their opinions have little validity and are misleading.

As I said prior if you like living there, who cares what anyone thinks

 

But you are in denial......sorry

 

I gave you a 5km area, which is the center of Pattaya, from Walking Street to Dusit Thani

 

There are bars/gogos all over in that stretch

 

Walking Street, Soi 7, Soi Bukkaho, Treetown, to name just a few areas

All the way up to a massive complex I don't know on 2nd road near Dolphin Circle

That's a 5km stretch, which would be almost unrivaled in area size/# of bars by most anywhere in the world)

 

You are being ridiculous to suggest Pattaya isn't a massive RLD, sorry

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

As I said prior if you like living there, who cares what anyone thinks

But you are in denial......sorry

I gave you a 5km area, which is the center of Pattaya, from Walking Street to Dusit Thani

There are bars/gogos all over in that stretch

Walking Street, Soi 7, Soi Bukkaho, Treetown, to name just a few areas

All the way up to a massive complex I don't know on 2nd road near Dolphin Circle

That's a 5km stretch, which would be almost unrivaled in area size/# of bars by most anywhere in the world)

You are being ridiculous to suggest Pattaya isn't a massive RLD, sorry

QED

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I used to go to Patters for the same reason I frequented Suk Rd in Bangkok between Soi Nana and Soi Cowboy:

Good choice of international restaurants, bookstores, shops and market stalls. 😇

 

😂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use