5 million Moderna vaccines for Thailand, half of expectation

Thaiger

The Government Pharmaceutical Organisation said that only 5 million Moderna Covid-19 vaccines would be available at private hospitals, half as many as the 10 million total figure expected. The government of Thailand is giving free vaccinations using the Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines, while they had approved Johnson & Johnson, Modena, and Pfizer vaccines for private use. They later rushed to approve the Sinopharm vaccine, China’s second vaccine brand, after Princess Chulabhorn made private arrangements to import the vaccine for her Chulabhorn Royal Academy. But legally, private entities can’t import vaccines into Thailand. The GPO is the intermediary body tasked with […]

The post 5 million Moderna vaccines for Thailand, half of expectation appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Why would Thailand cut back the order if the private hospitals were paying the cost? I would think if it's an issue of availability they would say so since it's a believable and easy excuse. If it's not an issue with cost, or availability, what's left?   

39 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Private Moderna vaccination had been planned to roll out in October, but reservations and registration for the vaccines have already begun. 

How?

At what hospitals?

Advance reservation and registration for vaccines at / by private hospitals before they arrive is 100% illegal, as has been widely reported including here.

I'm sure the government can buy as many vaccines as you want, but delivery times may be the issue... but with this government who would believe its Mordana's fault

• Cool 1

16 minutes ago, Tina said:

Please tell me where and how to register for Moderna. Thanks

The current vaccination-registration directive is to either use the online App or to visit your nearest state hospital. In either case you will only be listed for 'vaccination' - not for a specific type.

Hello, Tina and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tina said:

hello Tina, cannot post link here, but search Google or Thaiger for: "Registrations for Moderna jab hit 100,000 on first day" and you will find a Line (Haha, everything is Line in Thailand) link. I think registration is closed tho. I got mine a month ago

still waiting for the 10 million astra zenca promised by the chosen one for june delivery,so far only received 1.8 million doses in june  with some help from soth korea  promises ,promises and promises,why didnt the chosen order months ago 100 million pfrizer cost 60billion baht now they implement  a 1+1 trillion stimulus package not too smart is the choosen one.the devastation to the economy will take years to repair

That's half the expectation so far only a few days in. Not like America to talk big and deliver-----------------well, nothing really.

14 hours ago, Stonker said:

How?

At what hospitals?

Advance reservation and registration for vaccines at / by private hospitals before they arrive is 100% illegal, as has been widely reported including here.

So is driving without a licence, or wearing a helmet on a Motorcycle.

This is Thailand we're talking about...remember.

3 hours ago, Tina said:

You need to make enquiries at one of your local private hospitals (not public hospitals)
Many have limitations on numbers of pre registered clients, so be quick about it.

With inly half the expected 10M doses expected to be delivered I'm guessing the private hospitals will now be in turmoil with a lot of disappointed foreigners on their hands.

2 hours ago, Faz said:

. . . You need to make enquiries at one of your local private hospitals (not public hospitals) . . .

That is not the official health authority guidance which, on the contrary, recommends either visiting the nearest STATE hospital or using the online App.

33 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

That is not the official health authority guidance which, on the contrary, recommends either visiting the nearest STATE hospital or using the online App.

@Tina enquired about the Moderna vaccine, which as yet is not available in Thailand, but will only be available by appointment at private hospital institutions, for a cost.

The state hospitals (government) are only using Sinovac and Astra Zeneca vaccines which are free.

Aside from the part delivery of the Moderna, what has happened to the roll out from Siam Bioscience with the Astra Zeneka vaccines manufactured in Nonthaburi? It seems to have gone very quiet for almost 2 weeks.

• Cool 1

37 minutes ago, Faz said:
1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

@Tina enquired about the Moderna vaccine, which as yet is not available in Thailand, but will only be available by appointment at private hospital institutions, for a cost.

It's all a bit left hand / right hand.  The FDA and DHSS have both said that  NO pre-registration for any Covid vaccines privately has been approved and that any hospitals doing so contravene Section 38 of the Medical Facilities Act, so a number of hospitals have taken down their ads - Bangkok Hospital Group are clear about this on their website.

The previous reports were also that the ten million doses were for all members of the Thai Private Hospital Association. Now Thonburi Hospital Group are saying (or at least suggesting) that the five million doses are all "theirs".

... and just to add to it, I now see that according to the Director of Lanna Hospital which is partnered with the Thonburi Group:

"registration in the LINE application THG Thonburi Healthcare is just a demand survey. However if the vaccine has arrived you will be prompted to pay and make an appointment  ..... etc"

So "registered" may not actually be "registered", just as vaccinated may not actually be vaccinated.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Stonker said:

It's all a bit left hand / right hand. 

The common term now is flippy/floppy.
It flips this way, then flops the other way.

19 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Why would Thailand cut back the order if the private hospitals were paying the cost? I would think if it's an issue of availability they would say so since it's a believable and easy excuse. If it's not an issue with cost, or availability, what's left?   

I can hazard at a guess.

The Thai government had a budget from public spending for the Sinovac and Astra Zeneca, these be the two cheapest vaccines on the market and easier to ship and store.

There was a private sector and public demand for other types of vaccine, though costing far more.
Suppliers will not supply the private sector, only accepting orders from Governments.
The Thai Government asked the private hospitals to get their heads together and crunch some numbers.
They probably created a private purse budget for the private hospitals to pay into, as it's hardly likely the Government is going to pay upfront from the public budget and/or face having surplus expensive supplies on it's hands

Reading between the lines, the private hospital sector haven't got their act together and the budget funds were only sufficient enough to purchase 5M doses rather than the anticipated 10M.
Behind closed doors and separated walls, there is probably some conflict and animosity between the government and the private hospital sector, Without being a fly on the wall we'll probably never know what exactly the situation or reason is.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 1

hello Tina, cannot post link here, but search Google or Thaiger for: "Registrations for Moderna jab hit 100,000 on first day" and you will find a Line (Haha, everything is Line in Thailand) link. I think registration is closed tho. I got mine a month ago

Hello AlexPTY, no issues with posting the link as a text and please update when you get a chance.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Andrew Reeve said:

Hello AlexPTY, no issues with posting the link as a text and please update when you get a chance.

Thank you

I've posted several links today Andrew, but they don't work.

Do they still need to be approved before being made 'live'?

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Reading between the lines ..... the budget funds were only sufficient enough to purchase 5M doses rather than the anticipated 10M.
.....we'll probably never know what exactly the situation or reason is.

Reading some old reports, it may also not be all the reporting suggests. According to several reports, the original agreement was for 5 million doses in October and another 5 million in January.

If there are 5 million coming in October maybe another 5 are coming in January (maybe) and it's all yet another left hand / right hand.

1 hour ago, Faz said:

The common term now is flippy/floppy.
It flips this way, then flops the other way.

Two very different things, I think, @Faz.

I may be out of touch, but unless things have changed "left hand / right hand" means the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing (eg CCSA vs TAT), while "flippy / floppy" means a reversal of policy (eg take your pick).

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Two very different things, I think, @Faz.

I may be out of touch, but unless things have changed "left hand / right hand" means the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing (eg CCSA vs TAT), while "flippy / floppy" means a reversal of policy (eg take your pick).

It's like the wife always says, it's the same, same, but different.

No idea where the flippy/floppy term originated, but I think it was a means to describe the topsy tervy news reports we get on the situations, always flipping back and forth. The news usual came from government sources of representatives, who obviously don't know what the left hand is doing in relation to the right hand.

I have trouble trying to decipher a text message from my daughter these days. :-)

I've posted several links today Andrew, but they don't work.

Do they still need to be approved before being made 'live'?

Hi Faz and only a text link will suffice, for example https://bangkokcommunityhelp.com