News Forum - Popular tourist island off Pattaya adds hundreds of security cameras

Thaiger

Officials on Koh Larn, a popular tourist island off Pattaya, are stepping up security measures. The municipality has installed 200 CCTV security cameras at 7 beaches around the island. Meanwhile, authorities are working on renovating a pier on Koh Larn. Pattaya Deputy Manager Kiattisak Sriwongchai said the installation is almost finished, and the cameras will be fully working early this month. The cameras, he said, are high-tech, and can zoom in up to 800 metres. He added that they can observe entire beach areas, and spot boats headed for Pattaya. They can also recognise car license plates. Kiattisak said that […]

The story Popular tourist island off Pattaya adds hundreds of security cameras as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Officials on Koh Larn, a popular tourist island off Pattaya, are stepping up security measures. The municipality has installed 200 CCTV security cameras at 7 beaches around the island. Meanwhile, authorities are working on renovating a pier on Koh Larn. Pattaya Deputy Manager Kiattisak Sriwongchai said the installation is almost finished, and the cameras will be fully working early this month. The cameras, he said, are high-tech, and can zoom in up to 800 metres. He added that they can observe entire beach areas, and spot boats headed for Pattaya. They can also recognise car license plates. Kiattisak said that […]

The story Popular tourist island off Pattaya adds hundreds of security cameras as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Big brother is watching... I wondet what will happen with all that video footage? And will they add face recognition over time like in China?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Big brother is watching... I wondet what will happen with all that video footage? And will they add face recognition over time like in China?

They'll try, and with they're typical efficiency, fail. It's just too much work, they can't be bothered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pattaya Deputy Manager Kiattisak Sriwongchai said the installation is almost finished, and the cameras will be fully working early this month. The cameras, he said, are high-tech, and can zoom in up to 800 metres. He added that they can observe entire beach areas, and spot boats headed for Pattaya. They can also recognise car license plates.

I wonder if there will be one guy who will get the job of "observing entire beach areas" all day long, I already feel sorry for him (and I guess he will be watching his phone more often where there is a little more happening). What a waste of money.

Those systems, it seems in Thailand, are not so much used for active enforcement more than they are simply archival footage that gets reviewed after a crime is committed. 

3 hours ago, Fundok said:

I would venture a guess and say it's already happening. But if not, soon. 

5 hours ago, Manu said:

I wonder if there will be one guy who will get the job of "observing entire beach areas" all day long, I already feel sorry for him (and I guess he will be watching his phone more often where there is a little more happening). What a waste of money.

Probably zooming in on the pasty white fat birds the Thai men seem to ogle at…

• Haha 2