News Forum - World Health Organisation says Covid-19 situation in North Korea likely deteriorating

Thaiger

The World Health Organisation says it has received no update on the Covid-19 situation in North Korea, but can only assume it’s getting worse. This contradicts claims from Pyongyang that the country is making “progress” against the virus. According to an AFP report, North Korea confirmed its first Covid-19 infections on May 12. However, last week, state media announced that everything was under control and cases were falling. However, Michael Ryan, emergencies director with the WHO, has cast doubt on the claims. Ryan says the WHO can only assume the situation is deteriorating, saying North Korea has only provided very […]

The story World Health Organisation says Covid-19 situation in North Korea likely deteriorating as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

North Korea can now demonstrate what happens when an infectious disease arrives in a country without an immunization program.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vigo said:

North Korea can now demonstrate what happens when an infectious disease arrives in a country without an immunization program.

Not so much. For example, the Amish weathered it defenseless. https://www.wnd.com/2022/05/amish-minister-covid-19-left-salvation-arrived/ From the experience of the Amish, we can see that doing pretty much nothing worked very well.

But maybe you'd like to be in the strange position of saying that while the vaccines don't seem to prevent infection in the vaccinated (I regularly see tweets by vaccinated people who are on their third COVID infection), those vaccinations *did* somehow protect the unvaccinated Amish.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

Not so much. For example, the Amish weathered it defenseless. https://www.wnd.com/2022/05/amish-minister-covid-19-left-salvation-arrived/ From the experience of the Amish, we can see that doing pretty much nothing worked very well.

But maybe you'd like to be in the strange position of saying that while the vaccines don't seem to prevent infection in the vaccinated (I regularly see tweets by vaccinated people who are on their third COVID infection), those vaccinations *did* somehow protect the unvaccinated Amish.

Vaccination was intended to reduce death and serious illness. Prevention of infection was a bonus. Never everdid the health authorities guarantee prevention of infection. Reducing serious infections reduced the burden on the health care system and kept it from collapsing. The vaccines have worked as intended delivering better results that were predicted.

Repeating  a  false claim and one that has been proven wrong doesn't support your  statement.   https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-covid-amish-idUSL2N2NZ1TY   VERDICT: False. Amish communities have not been unaffected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Amish populations were small and kept to themselves, but they  had the highest  infection and fatality rates in their respective states. 

https://wvutoday.wvu.edu/stories/2021/06/22/death-and-religion-excess-deaths-sweep-through-amish-and-mennonite-communities-during-covid-19-pandemic

J Relig Health. 2021; 60(5): 3230–3244. Published online 2021 Jun 11. doi: 10.1007/s10943-021-01307-5  PMCID: PMC8195242 PMID: 34117598   Closed but Not Protected: Excess Deaths Among the Amish and Mennonites During the COVID-19 Pandemic  "The excess death rate for Amish/Mennonites spiked with a 125% increase in November 2020."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vigo said:

VERDICT: False. Amish communities have not been unaffected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

I see people reaching for this bogus "fact check" all the time. The problem with it is obvious: nobody claimed that the Amish were unaffected. In the very article I linked to, the Amish minister explained exactly how his community *had* been affected. They had a hard time for about a month, and then it was over. To my mind this places them among those in the world with the best known outcome.

Whatever is happened, whatever we are being hold is likely a lie. Pity the people suffering. The next news story out of North Korea will be how the supreme leader single handedly create a vaccine and inoculated the entire population overnight (while playing 18 holes of golf and scoring 18 holes-in-one).

I am agog with indifference.  You get the leaders you are prepared to tolerate, until you are not. The North Koreans are the architects of their own misfortune and have been for generations.   

5 hours ago, Vigo said:

Accept the world will never hear the truth of what is happening there as all reports will be whatever propaganda the hermit kingdom wants to publish not the truth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim_Melb said:

Accept the world will never hear the truth of what is happening there as all reports will be whatever propaganda the hermit kingdom wants to publish not the truth. 

True.

But wouldn't it be interesting to know how Omicron would go through an entirely unvaccinated population.

Would it be terrible, or not nearly as bad as feared.

Sadly, due to lack of transparency in N Korea we'll probably never know. 

16 hours ago, rc1 said:

But wouldn't it be interesting to know how Omicron would go through an entirely unvaccinated population.

We already know. Between 1 and 2 people out of every 100 known infections will die perhaps higher die to the lack of advanced medical facilities in the hermit kingdom. I'm sure the deniers will try to shout me down but we know that Omicron is equally as deadly in unvaccinated and previously unexposed populations as the original Wuhan strain and Alpha. Given the baseline of 1.5% of known infections in Western populations become a ng fatalities and the lack of advanced healthcare in the country, the actually fatalities could be as high as 10%.

On 6/2/2022 at 4:45 PM, Pinetree said:

I am agog with indifference.  You get the leaders you are prepared to tolerate, until you are not. The North Koreans are the architects of their own misfortune and have been for generations.   

Please be reasonable. North Korea population lives in a state of terror, with children the property of the state. Children are sent to  facilities to be politically indoctrinated and are rewarded for denouncing family members who say/do anything  contrary to the state. Population lives without basic liberties or freedoms under constant surveillance with concentration camps. How can you blame lowly korean peasant who lives as european vassal serf did 1000 years ago?  The elite will have access to medication and vaccines, everyone else will suffer as they have done since 1948. Please have compassion for those who cannot help themselves and who are prisoners of an evil brutal system.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vigo said:

Please be reasonable. North Korea population lives in a state of terror, with children the property of the state. Children are sent to  facilities to be politically indoctrinated and are rewarded for denouncing family members who say/do anything  contrary to the state. Population lives without basic liberties or freedoms under constant surveillance with concentration camps. How can you blame lowly korean peasant who lives as european vassal serf did 1000 years ago?  The elite will have access to medication and vaccines, everyone else will suffer as they have done since 1948. Please have compassion for those who cannot help themselves and who are prisoners of an evil brutal system.

As a Nation, 'they' are a danger to world peace and an existential  threat to me and my family.  To me they are an enemy. Wars between countries are not fought by the leaders,  but are fought by the population.  They have one of largest and  best equipped Army's in Asia, who would fight hard for that maniac leader they have and put up with, just as they did in 1950.  They have nuclear weapons' and maybe the will to use them.  Don't be so naïve in your bleeding heart comments about the poor downtrodden.  They would kill you in an instant and without a second thought if their deranged 'Dear Leader' told them to do so.

Don't feel sorry for the Bear that is about to rip your throat out, save your sorrow for it when its dead.

On 6/4/2022 at 10:04 AM, Pinetree said:

As a Nation, 'they' are a danger to world peace and an existential  threat to me and my family.  To me they are an enemy. Wars between countries are not fought by the leaders,  but are fought by the population.  They have one of largest and  best equipped Army's in Asia, who would fight hard for that maniac leader they have and put up with, just as they did in 1950.  They have nuclear weapons' and maybe the will to use them.  Don't be so naïve in your bleeding heart comments about the poor downtrodden.  They would kill you in an instant and without a second thought if their deranged 'Dear Leader' told them to do so.

Don't feel sorry for the Bear that is about to rip your throat out, save your sorrow for it when its dead.

Fortunately, the free world has had great thinkers, strategists and leaders who were able to approach such an issue with enlightened forward thinking, otherwise Europe would never have been rebuilt into a thriving democracy after WWII. Considering what Japan had done to  the USA and Commonwealth countries, it's a testimony to the bleeding hearts' genius that Japan was rebuilt into a free and profitable nation. The strategy of scorched earth vindictiveness failed in Europe post 1918 and failed in 1950-1980 era Africa.