News Forum - More and more Americans are liking Thailand’s edible insects

Thaiger

More and more Americans are taking a liking to Thailand’s edible insects, according to Thailand Department of International Trade Promotion. The department’s director-general, Phusit Ratanakul Sereroengrit, told TNA that the department found from its survey on Thai export opportunities that insect consumption was growing steadily and significantly in the US. Phusit has suggested that insect products should be marketed through restaurants, since they used the insects as ingredients. He said Mexican Americans should particularly be targeted for marketing, since they enjoy using insect products in their ingredients. Phusit added that the products should also be marketed through e-commerce channels like Amazon, […]

The story More and more Americans are liking Thailand’s edible insects as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

That is a kind of fashion in Europe as well for people wanting to show off … as long there is reasonable priced pork and chicken it will always just be for show ups … 

• Like 1

Tried the crickets, but not great, cooked are a bit (oily) smelly, silkworms are ok , need them a bit crunchy to truly appreciate.

Red ants, have a hate thing here.  KILL KILL KILL. Have a terrible bite and my body doesn't react kindly

• Like 1

Shrimp are just giant edible sea bugs. Eating fried crickets, ciradas and grasshopper is not a big leap (no pun intended 😉). You can also grind up crickets to make flour to bake with.  

Scorpions are ok, the claws and tail are like a spicy crisp and quite nice, but the body is a bit squashy but a Thai girl with me told me that was because it had eggs and was very lucky! Swallowing them didn’t feel so lucky. 

A few years ago I asked a Thai guy from Bangkok does he eat such things and he said, "No way, yuk, Isaan food".

I asked a Thai woman from Phuket does she eat them and she said, "No, they are eaten by Bar girls from Isaan only, not  by real Thai people".