News Forum - Thailand’s tourism ranking drops down a notch

Thaiger

Thailand’s place on a list of countries ranked for travel and tourism development has fallen a notch below where it stood last year. Thailand fell from it’s spot in 35th place out of 117 countries in 2021, to 36th place, on the Travel and Tourism Development Index. The index is based on scores from 1-7, where 1 is the worst performance, and 7 is the best. For “Travel and Tourism Policy” and “Enabling Conditions”, Thailand’s prioritisation of travel and tourism dropped to 88th place with a score of 3.7 points, the lowest in the region. The ASEAN region had an […]

The story Thailand’s tourism ranking drops down a notch as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm surprised it's only one notch. Unless the current restrictions are relaxed, I can see Thailand dropping further down the table before the end of 2022. I hope not but tourists are looking elsewhere in SE Asia.

• Like 2

From the scorecard it seems the only positive is that Thailand is price comparision while safety and security were poorly scored. Hardly a drawcard for any top quality tourists that value personal safety and security over a cheap price. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fanta said:

From the scorecard it seems the only positive is that Thailand is price comparision while safety and security were poorly scored. Hardly a drawcard for any top quality tourists that value personal safety and security over a cheap price. 

Exactly. It demonstrates the total lack of end to end thinking by this government and indeed previous governments. They spout out ideas and never have any cohesive plan to achieve it. If they land lucky and the idea hits the spot with public sentiment then they claim success. If not, then it’s quickly forgotten, often within days, and they move on to a new idea. Like a bunch of kids playing in a playground. 

• Like 1

Just been for a walk along Hua Hin beach..saw about 20 tourists in that 2 hour timeline..Beach almost empty..Oh, but wait on a mo...It's Wednesday, the day Thai beaches are being 'cleaned' by the 'invisible' army of workers.!  Yet another brainless idea from the powers-that-be.. Welcome to Thailand..Feel free to enjoy our beaches, Oh, but you can only rent a sunbed, have refreshments, massage, etc for 6 days of the week during your stay... TiT..!

Edited by Tanuki

44 minutes ago, Tanuki said:

Just been for a walk along Hua Hin beach..saw about 20 tourists in that 2 hour timeline..Beach almost empty..Oh, but wait on a mo...It's Wednesday, the day Thai beaches are being 'cleaned' by the 'invisible' army of workers.!  Yet another brainless idea from the powers-that-be.. Welcome to Thailand..Feel free to enjoy our beaches, Oh, but you can only rent a sunbed, have refreshments, massage, etc for 6 days of the week during your stay... TiT..!

I agree it’s madness. There are many issues with the way Thailand fails to make the most of its beaches and sea front opportunities. One that amazes me is  the lack of bars and restaurants actually on the beach. 

The powers that be in Thailand still think it's top dog and think Tourists will still be back in their Millions. Tourists have voted with their feet but the Thai government refuses to accept this.

• Like 1

The government has decided that they dont want the numbers of travelers pre pandemic.

This is apparent by reading the tea leaves . 

Finding a flight to Bangkok is increasingly difficult….that tells me all I need to know . Restrictions have consequences. Just ask the airlines! They open routes to places people want to go & are welcome .

That place is not Thailand at this point.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fanta said:

If you factor in the many scams a tourist experience in Thailand it is hardly price competitive

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Soidog said:

I agree it’s madness. There are many issues with the way Thailand fails to make the most of its beaches and sea front opportunities. One that amazes me is  the lack of bars and restaurants actually on the beach. 

Went to Surin for a relaxing day by the sea back in April and all the sunbeds and necessary umbrellas had gone, notices in Thai have been erected stating no vendors, so most of the little stalls went too. I thought they were trying to attract tourists, the beach is always empty.

• Like 1