News Forum - Is Phuket the island of scams?

Thaiger

With powdery white-sand beaches and sparkling blue ocean stretching as far as the eye can see, it’s easy to fall in love with Phuket. For many years, the island has been attracting holiday-goers seeking tropical gateways, as well as digital nomads, remote workers, and retirees looking for cost-efficient places of living.  Hundreds of thousands of foreigners have settled and made property purchases in Phuket. Many are able to live in the property, rent it out to get some passive income, or even sell it to get some sort of return on their investment. But the dream ended up as a […]

The story Is Phuket the island of scams? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Oh how I miss the time share sales guys from about 20 years ago.

Pick me up from my hotel in a nice aircon car, feed me, provide an entertaining afternoon talk on property, give me free prize ( free holiday accomodation, all I had to do was pay my own flights), and fill me with as much free booze as I could handle. All I had to provide was a credit card, at the end of the promotion. I always did, it was always a card that had expired and was well worn.

Loved those days of free food, booze and transport.

I NEVER SIGNED ANYTHING.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

Pick me up from my hotel in a nice aircon car, feed me, provide an entertaining afternoon talk on property, give me free prize ( free holiday accomodation, all I had to do was pay my own flights), and fill me with as much free booze as I could handle. All I had to provide was a credit card, at the end of the promotion. I always did, it was always a card that had expired and was well worn.

And then they made it mandatory, to bring a female companion/wife!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

The time share guys are still around. Never bothered going to any of the presentations, but it can be entertaining winding up the touts and making them think they have a bite before letting them down.

• Haha 1

Why would I buy real estate from a  tout on the street? It takes a special kind of stupid to give money to such a person.

• Like 4

A friend paid $3500 for a vacation club off a street tout. The dates were never open so he had to pay a premium to stay. Always in an inconvenient location and the premium was more than your average room. I'll stick to Agoda.

8 hours ago, Guest1 said:

And then they made it mandatory, to bring a female companion/wife!

shouldn't that be provided as well🤣

• Haha 1

Taxis are a rip off in Phuket but Koh Phangan comes close. Rent a motorbike there and they'll blame you for damage you didn't do when you return it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Taxis are a rip off in Phuket but Koh Phangan comes close. Rent a motorbike there and they'll blame you for damage you didn't do when you return it.

Really? In  times of smartphones, still? Where everyone, I see renting a bike (or car) is doing a video all around it, pointing to all scratches and stuff, plus the "owner" in the video? 

Mmmh, I thought that scam is limited to "stealing" the bike, plus to pushing it to the ground, if parked somewhere, so that there are new scratches. Interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Interesting,

I'm not doubting you at all but would like to comment that I have just returned from Thailand and rented a motorbike at Hua Hin & Krabi and had no issues at all. I did have my Thai girlfriend with me so that may have discouraged any attempts to scam me.

Overall I was very happy with the service.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

Interesting,

I'm not doubting you at all but would like to comment that I have just returned from Thailand and rented a motorbike at Hua Hin & Krabi and had no issues at all. I did have my Thai girlfriend with me so that may have discouraged any attempts to scam me.

Same here. I’ve rented bikes all over the country for 20 years (including Phuket) and never had an issue. For my last rental in Sating Phra, they didn’t even inspect the bike. Parked out front, returned the keys, got my deposit and off I went.

As for the taxis, the fixed pricing in Phuket is annoying, but that’s as far as it goes. For dodginess, Bangkok still reigns supreme in my experience.

• Like 2

Thailand is no different to anywhere else in the world where tourists gather. There will always be people trying to rob or scam them. Pick any European city. The difference is in Thailand you might get ripped off for Thb 500-1,000. In London it starts at Thb 4,000 and rises rapidly from there….

I see so many people having massive arguments over amounts that would the tip on a restaurant bill back home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

Interesting,

Agreed, they're not all bad. I've rented biked in various places and only had a problem once in Phangan, which I read at the time had a bad reputation. I should have taken a video with my phone as the other poster suggested. 

• Like 1

If you have to ask the question it is likely you already know the answer. Is there a scam factor rating for locations? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Same here. I’ve rented bikes all over the country for 20 years (including Phuket) and never had an issue. For my last rental in Sating Phra, they didn’t even inspect the bike. Parked out front, returned the keys, got my deposit and off I went.

As for the taxis, the fixed pricing in Phuket is annoying, but that’s as far as it goes. For dodginess, Bangkok still reigns supreme in my experience.

The only thing that annoyed me in Bangkok apart from the traffic 😬 was when taxi's refused to take us.

My girlfriend said it was because they wanted falung passengers so they could rip them off and as she is Thai they wouldn't get away with it if they took our fare.

I have also experienced this in Melbourne trying to get to St Kilda when all the taxi's wanted to go to the airport so they were guaranteed a return fare. After about five refusals we went back into the hotel and asked them to call the taxi company and let them know that their drivers were refusing fares and the next taxi was no problem. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

The only thing that annoyed me in Bangkok apart from the traffic 😬 was when taxi's refused to take us.

My girlfriend said it was because they wanted falung passengers so they could rip them off and as she is Thai they wouldn't get away with it if they took our fare.

I have also experienced this in Melbourne trying to get to St Kilda when all the taxi's wanted to go to the airport so they were guaranteed a return fare. After about five refusals we went back into the hotel and asked them to call the taxi company and let them know that their drivers were refusing fares and the next taxi was no problem. 

Taxis refusing to take you is fairly common in Bangkok. It’s partly understandable given the traffic congestion and the concerns over a return fare. That said, it’s their job and they should be made to take passengers and not just cherry picking. 

The other issue is taxis refusing to put the meter on. Again, to be fair (no pun intended), I sort of can’t blame them when the rates are so low. Where I get pissed off is when they are prepared to put the meter on for a local Thai, but assume it’s ok to try it on with foreigners. When it happens to me I politely decline and try another. Occasionally the rate they quote off meter is so close to what I’d pay including a tip, I just accept it and drop the tip 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Got caught like that the first time, after that I went round the bike taking pictures of anything that looked remotely like any kind of damage before I took the bike out of the shop. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Taxis refusing to take you is fairly common in Bangkok. It’s partly understandable given the traffic congestion and the concerns over a return fare. That said, it’s their job and they should be made to take passengers and not just cherry picking. 

The other issue is taxis refusing to put the meter on. Again, to be fair (no pun intended), I sort of can’t blame them when the rates are so low. Where I get pissed off is when they are prepared to put the meter on for a local Thai, but assume it’s ok to try it on with foreigners. When it happens to me I politely decline and try another. Occasionally the rate they quote off meter is so close to what I’d pay including a tip, I just accept it and drop the tip 

Kind of spoilt in the UK, where refusing a fare without a very good reason or refusing to use the meter could lead to their licence getting pulled (and London cabbies still have to do "the knowledge", which is a serious investment in time and and effort). Taxi drivers trying it on with foreigners is not really a uniquely Thai problem, it happens pretty much anywhere that there is no real enforcement. Having a Thai with you and letting them sort out the fare before appearing out of the shadows works out well in most cases.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I feel that we have been rushed into a property scam! Anyone has info about Pisona Group. Patong Bay Ocean View Company Ltd. It seems we have been screwed 

In December we took a taxi to Krabi airport 

We got out and the driver drove away and my son's GF realized I left paintings I bought(10k I paid)

We ran after the taxi but he didn't see us

Anonymous taxi noticed the scene, drove up and said he knew the driver

He contacted him but he was on the way back to Ao Nang to pick up another customer 

The original driver chatted with my son and said he'd try to get back to airport before our flight took off 

But if not, he'd go to the Thai post and send it to our house in Nonthaburi 

Sure I've had a few minor attempted scams(which I sussed out right away)

But I've had way more acts of kindness in Thailand, Phuket included 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 4:20 PM, Vigo said:

Why would I buy real estate from a  tout on the street? It takes a special kind of stupid to give money to such a person.

But sadly that 'special kind of stupid' exists