News Forum - Tangmo: 5 of 6 suspects charged with “recklessness causing death”

Thaiger

Prosecutors have ordered the indictment of 6 suspects in relation to the death of Thai actress Nida “Tangmo” Patcharaveerapong, who drowned in the Chao Phraya river in February during a boat trip with her friends. All 5 people on board the boat have been charged with “recklessness causing death.” Yesterday, superintendent of Muang Nonthaburi Police Station reported that the prosecutors in Tangmo’s case have ordered the indictment of 6 suspects in relation to the actress’s death, despite saying they would delay the process until June just a few days ago. Police ruled out that Tangmo was murdered, and concluded that […]

The story Tangmo: 5 of 6 suspects charged with “recklessness causing death” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So much vagueness…. driving a boat poorly, leaving a person to swim home, waiting overnight to report a person missing - all reckless.. all lead to death.. so much vagueness. 

• Like 3

What is “recklessness causing death”? Sounds like manslaughter. “You” didn’t intend to kill the person but your actions/inactions/negligence caused a death.  

Section 291 of the Thai Penal Code 

Causing death by negligence

0- 10 years prison and or 20,000 baht fine.

https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/criminal-code-murder-death-sections-288-294/ 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fanta said:

What is “recklessness causing death”? Sounds like manslaughter. “You” didn’t intend to kill the person but your actions/inactions/negligence caused a death.  

Section 291 of the Thai Penal Code 

Causing death by negligence

0- 10 years prison and or 20,000 baht fine.

https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/criminal-code-murder-death-sections-288-294/ 

Agreed and well researched. 

I always smile when I read the 0-10 years or 20,000 Baht. 20,000 is about £450 or US$580. You get a bigger fine for some traffic violations in the U.K. or US.

You can imagine saying to the judge. Please don’t give me 10 years in a Thai jail, I’d rather pay 10 times the maximum fine. Deal says the judge. You can get my bank details from the Clerk on the way out….

• Like 2