News Forum - Thai government expecting 1 million foreign tourists by October

Thaiger

The Thai government has refuted the opposition’s claim that it is ignoring the plight of the country’s tourism sector. According to a Nation Thailand report, spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana says the government’s decision to cancel Test & Go has revived the tourism industry, with around 20,000 foreign arrivals now entering the kingdom each day. Thanakorn adds that if this trend continues, Thailand should see around 500,000 arrivals a month during the low season of May – September, with most expected to come from the short-haul market. This figure is expected to double during the high season period between October and December, […]

The story Thai government expecting 1 million foreign tourists by October as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Dream on Thanakorn. Short haul equals short stay and short on spending. That does not create anything remotely like even a partial recovery that could rescue the many near bankrupt tourism businesses. This government has always wanted the tourism industry to shrink and the pandemic did most of the work for them. It remains bereft of practical help for the tourism sector but over-endowed with ill informed and loud mouthed spokes persons. Hoping for a return of the Chinese is a pipe dream in the short and medium term and Europeans have radically altered their attitudes to travel. Thailand is left way off the list of preferred destinations, just look at the derisory number of arrivals and forward bookings here compared to many competitive destinations.

• Like 1

Short haul doesnt mean short stay at all. You've just written off all the visitors from Western China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia and Laos.  Ask the government if they would like to abandon all that combined spending.

Is there any data out there to compare government and TAT predictions with actual results? I’d be very interested to see some data on predictions vs actual outcomes.

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

500,000 arrivals a month during the low season of May – September, with most expected to come from the short-haul market. This figure is expected to double during the high season period between October and December

In other words, 30% of pre-covid numbers by October 

20 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Is there any data out there to compare government and TAT predictions with actual results? I’d be very interested to see some data on predictions vs actual outcomes.

I think you would have to display it with some weird logarithmic scale or something! It would be hard to display the two sets of numbers on the same graph given the divergence of quantities 😉

• Haha 1

If Soidog's bar-chart is anything like correct, then it clearly shows that back then the European/western market was indeed a worthy one.  And yet now the very same potential 'Western' holiday-makers STILL have to go thru' the T.P. proccess, & other hoops before even getting on the plane... (& I still think the T.P will be in place for Western tourists this coming high-season, also possible compulsary mask-wearing for farangs only..OK, that's a bit outlandish, but I would not put it past this present bunch of muppets who are contolling things right now!)  Anyway good luck Thailand for when you embrace India's big-spending masses to boost your low-season figures.

1 hour ago, Tanuki said:

If Soidog's bar-chart is anything like correct, then it clearly shows that back then the European/western market was indeed a worthy one.  And yet now the very same potential 'Western' holiday-makers STILL have to go thru' the T.P. proccess, & other hoops before even getting on the plane... (& I still think the T.P will be in place for Western tourists this coming high-season, also possible compulsary mask-wearing for farangs only..OK, that's a bit outlandish, but I would not put it past this present bunch of muppets who are contolling things right now!)  Anyway good luck Thailand for when you embrace India's big-spending masses to boost your low-season figures.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, they are controlling things right now, completely to their liking. So suck it up or dont. Up to you. 😀

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Well if they keep giving a new number everyday as they have been doing for months, surely at some point one will be right. It is like betting on all horses on all races for months, your horse will surely arrive first at some point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Manu said:

Well if they keep giving a new number everyday as they have been doing for months, surely at some point one will be right. It is like betting on all horses on all races for months, your horse will surely arrive first at some point.

They may have to start revising their numbers downward in order to be right.

32 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Unfortunately, or fortunately, they are controlling things right now, completely to their liking. So suck it up or dont. Up to you. 😀

Yes @Poolie  grown ups know already what you have posted. That’s why few people are going. That’s how it works you see. Well maybe you don’t. That’s not the point of your trolling though is it?   

who cares?   why is this relevant to us?   1 person or 1 million.....so what   

why do tourist or expats on this site care about how many are coming here....not me.....

and yet there is this almost daily false affirmation of how popular thailand is......yawn

4 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

who cares?   why is this relevant to us?   1 person or 1 million.....so what   

why do tourist or expats on this site care about how many are coming here....not me.....

and yet there is this almost daily false affirmation of how popular thailand is......yawn

There is a reason why I am interested in this info:

1. If there come only few people then the tourist industry will remain in ruins - not good.

2. If there come too many people then the prices will go up too high - not good either.

I am interested in something in between: enough tourists to keep the tourism-related businesses running smoothly but not too many so that it does not become too pricey and too crowded.

I am not sure why Thai government has such a high opinion that Thailand is the premier destination for tourists. 
In November December I was in Pattaya area. The place looked grotty, run down, and very unattractive. At 2 in the morning after a skin full it might seem dynamic and attractive. However I did notice that people in general appreciated tourists as they realised all we do is spend money. Accomodation, good, travel etc. Last time I was in Phuket, before pandemic much the same, the whole place needs coat of paint. I am visiting Phuket again soon and expecting much the same and worse. I am using Phuket as arrival departure destination.

The Thai government does not realise they are chasing diminishing returns, and the people are hurting. But then I guess it’s hard to understand in their bubble environment.

To anyone throwing these numbers out there.... One tip.... Cut these numbers in half, reach the number that you set easily, probably many more tourist will come. Everyone will trust you and love you. 

Reality:

Only 500.000 show up. 

That doesn't look good. 

It's such an easy trick to avoid losing people's trust... It's not that it's going all great in other fields, isn't it? 

2 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

To anyone throwing these numbers out there.... One tip.... Cut these numbers in half, reach the number that you set easily, probably many more tourist will come. Everyone will trust you and love you. 

The same concept I use for deadlines, usually I throw a later date and I finish earlier 😁

This governement does the opposite...

Edited by Ivo_Shandor
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dmitrii said:

There is a reason why I am interested in this info:

1. If there come only few people then the tourist industry will remain in ruins - not good.

2. If there come too many people then the prices will go up too high - not good either.

I am interested in something in between: enough tourists to keep the tourism-related businesses running smoothly but not too many so that it does not become too pricey and too crowded.

is out of your hands so why bother....is actually crowded now in CNX imo for low season and Ive been here annually since 2008 and find the prices to be basically the same apart from worldwide inflation which will be affected wherever you are......either way your two options seem to be "not good"  as to my post...