News Forum - 10 things foreigners find strange about Thailand!! | This is Thailand

Thaiger

https://youtu.be/hzx-O120BfY   If you have ever visited or lived in Thailand, you might find some strange things here. Today, I’ll talk about the 10 things foreigners find strange about Thailand!! Let’s see if you agree or feel the same!! Thai people have a nickname that is not related to their full- name In the past, Thais had no nicknames. Some historians assumed that it appeared during King Rama IV when Thai people started to derive Bali or Sanskrit language to create the full name they believed that it was a more beautiful word and had a good meaning. However, it […]

The story 10 things foreigners find strange about Thailand!! | This is Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 2

12. Oddly a lot of Thais will openly pick their nose and some really get in there! But also they would put a hand over their mouth when they use a toothpick 

• Like 3

The article is called “10 things foreigners find strange about Thailand”. In actual fact it’s an article written by a Thai and gets nowhere close to the 10 things foreigners find strange. It’s just a list of stereotype beliefs of a Thai. The one that really gets me is this one:

Thai people mostly take a shower at least 2 times a day, In the morning before going outside and in the evening after arriving home

Well I’m not “Thai people” and I have at least 2 showers a day when I’m in Thailand (often 3) and always have 2 when I’m in the U.K, even when it’s -4 outside.

In addition, many countries have different coloured taxis, not just Thailand.

To add to the above 2. Try these few that I find strange:

Riding or driving up the wrong side of the road.

Allowing construction workers to put a couple of plastic cones 2 metres before the roadworks and think that’s adequate.

Believing that if foreigners can own land the whole country will be bought out.

Not knowing where their own country is located in the world.

Believing foreigners don't like spicy food.

Not understanding what “Profit” means when running a business.

And more recently……. Riding a motorcycle not wearing a helmet while wearing a face mask.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13. You plan a trip. pack up everything and get ready the night before, Next day load up the car and head off, then the missus sais "We have to go and pick up Pi" Pi lives in a different province. LOL.

• Haha 1

14. The outdoor male urinals at the petrol station when the cleaning lady swaggers past with the rolling mop& bucket

• Like 2

15. The weird English transliterations/translations on street signs and many other signs.

Example: If it’s pronounced with an “L” sound, then don’t use an R, or if it’s pronounced like a “W”, then don’t use a V, etc.

• Like 2

16. The believe that if you are using a mobile or Wi-Fi during a thunderstorm you might die soon from lightning strike

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Unable to answer two questions. For example:

Q: Where would you like to eat tonight and what time should we go out?

A: Not to late…

• Like 1

Actually, one thing that I find strange and really shouldn’t, is the Thai lottery! Two aspects are strange to me:

1). What do all the numbers mean in terms of the draw? I’ve had many many Thais try to explain it to me and I’m still baffled. Perhaps Thaiger could do an article?

2) Why the Thai government see the challenge of controlling illegal tickets as though it was finding a cure for cancer. Well, I guess we all know why it’s taking so long, but just sayin. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The almost total lack of interest and knowledge of science, space travel, history, geography. Even some University students here often exhibit extraordinary ignorance of these subjects.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

The almost total lack of interest and knowledge of science, space travel, history, geography. Even some University students here often exhibit extraordinary ignorance of these subjects.  

What, no Thai scientists? Historians? I think you are being a little harsh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, astro said:

18. The reluctance to say "no" or admit one does not know for fear of losing face.

This one is like going to Homepro and asking if you have 120 to 240 volt converter, and the sales/floor guy sais no, and you walk around and find one then come back to him/her and show it to them. LOL Instead of saying "Mai Kojai" They say 'Mai Mee"

• Thanks 1

Just now, Thaidup said:

This one is like going to Homepro and asking if you have 120 to 240 volt converter, and the sales/floor guy sais no, and you walk around and find one then come back to him/her and show it to them. LOL

And what does someone achieve by doing that? Like the staff member GAF anyway ..

Just making yourself look petty in the store IMO.

37 minutes ago, Cabra said:

16. The believe that if you are using a mobile or Wi-Fi during a thunderstorm you might die soon from lightning strike

Thai lightning is different..😆

Ferrang didn't understand. 

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Yes and the water goes down the plug hole counter clockwise here......or does it, the great debate.🤔

19 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Just making yourself look petty in the store IMO.

I will encourage that🙂 I honestly think Thailand has some of the prettiest floor staff to be seen. Especially if you end up in a shopping mall whilst a "promotion" is happening👍

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Yes and the water goes down the plug hole counter clockwise here......or does it, the great debate.

Not if you look at it from below. So it depends on how you look at it.🙂

41 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Yes and the water goes down the plug hole counter clockwise here......or does it, the great debate.🤔

That is a myth, as it drains the same north or south of the Equator.  

The 10 mentioned things do not surprise me at all.

Here is my list...

1 using your break when a big truck is blocking the road is a non done thing since it would mean weakness. Many Thai choose death over using the brake

2 a lie is not a lie in Thailand, it is considered rude to point it out if some one lies

3 the Wai has little to none meaning when given to farang

4 laughing does not mean being happy

5 insulting any member of the government carries a higher  sentence then killing some one on a zebra crossing

POTENTIALLY 'jail-time' content removed for your safety.  Refer Forum Guidelines ASAP.

7 it is okay to drive against traffic with your motorcycle

8 laws in Thailand are only applicable to farangs and poor

9 the Buddhist compasion and friendlyness is not needed when you are in an accident, even police officers leave the scene in such a case

10 Thailand has the no fail schooling system. This leads to mediocrity of students

Edited by KaptainRob
Refer Forum Guidelines re Thai laws

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

That is a myth, as it drains the same north or south of the Equator.  

The theory is it should, however in practice there are far greater influences over the direction of drain other than the Coriolis effect. 

"Thai people mostly take a shower at least 2 times a day, In the morning before going outside and in the evening after arriving home"

If foreigners think this is strange, I kind of start to understand Anutin... 

• Like 2