News Forum - Anutin says suspected monkeypox cases in Thailand are actually herpes

Thaiger

Thailand’s Public Health Minister Anutin announced yesterday that suspected monkeypox cases in Thailand turned out to be herpes. The suspected cases were from travellers coming from countries where monkeypox cases have been reported. Anutin said there are so far no confirmed cases of monkeypox in Thailand. Anutin said he had been informed of the monkeypox situation by Dr. Rome Buathong of the International Communicable Disease Control and Quarantine Division. Anutin made the statement after returning from the 75th World Health Assembly in Geneva. There, he asked the World Health Organisation for help securing supplies of the smallpox vaccine, according to […]

The story Anutin says suspected monkeypox cases in Thailand are actually herpes as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Good news, however I daresay the new sentiment doing the rounds may now be “international visitors are bringing in herpes”.

• Like 3

Ah.. blame it on the dirty farangs & Thailand doesn’t have the monkeypox. This “news” will cause a feeding frenzy amongst the conspiracy theorists who will, of course, praise him today whereas yesterday he was labelled a 100% compulsive liar. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Good news, however I daresay the new sentiment doing the rounds may now be “international visitors are bringing in herpes”.

Not sure herpes is good news 😜 Talk about the gift that keeps on giving... It's like luggage... You get it, and never get rid of it. At least monkeypox is curable. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Transam said:

Herpes, or did he mean Hepatitis, UK advised me to have the Hepatitis jab, that was many years back, when I saw the state of many an ablution/bog, I understood why....🤢

Hep A and B vax here. I was also vaxxed for smallpox as a kid back in the 70s. Which they say protects you from monkeypox (which I just learned today). 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Ah.. blame it on the dirty farangs & Thailand doesn’t have the monkeypox. This “news” will cause a feeding frenzy amongst the conspiracy theorists who will, of course, praise him today whereas yesterday he was labelled a 100% compulsive liar. 

It's already started. I had a Thai today tell me monkeypox was "very bad" in the USA (with like 12 cases) 🙄... 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

According to the medic, studies in Africa have shown that the smallpox vaccine offers at least 85% protection against monkeypox and this protection can last a lifetime.

The 2nd part of that statement is just condescending. Mind you, it could actually be (trivially) true if the vaccine is administered every couple of years during a lifetime, but the suggestion is that a single jab can do the job.

Furthermore, it's completely irrelevant that something "can" happen. All that matters is how likely it is to happen. Who cares that a vaccine can protect for almost a century, if that only happens in extremely rare and presumably imagined cases, while the average duration of protection per jab is actually sth. like 3 years?

I don't mind the intentions behind the statement (i.e., resetting people to be at ease), but I consider dumb statements like that offensive.

• Like 1

Whatever you say Anutin, but don't be freaking out when there is a case of monkeypox in your country then ending up shutting down everything to make you look good.

After 4 years of stuffing up health Anut is finally getting proactive in his approach to his job.

Don't fret he'll stuff it up with something like " they want us to pay for it?" or " the import paper work was incorrect."

See? Its all the fault of dirty farrangs. Covid started in China when millions of Chinese were traveling here every week. But the problem was dirty farrangs.

What we need is a government that is not taking brown envelopes from a certain country and to start being a responsible world player.

No chance of that any time soon I fear. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

The 2nd part of that statement is just condescending. Mind you, it could actually be (trivially) true if the vaccine is administered every couple of years during a lifetime, but the suggestion is that a single jab can do the job.

Furthermore, it's completely irrelevant that something "can" happen. All that matters is how likely it is to happen. Who cares that a vaccine can protect for almost a century, if that only happens in extremely rare and presumably imagined cases, while the average duration of protection per jab is actually sth. like 3 years?

I don't mind the intentions behind the statement (i.e., resetting people to be at ease), but I consider dumb statements like that offensive.

The smallpox and monkeypox viruses are a type of virus that does not change constantly, so your immune system, once primed by the vaccine, stays primed. The viruses responsible for flu, Covid-19, SARS, HIV, and so on, are changing constantly, so any vaccine only has a limited useful lifetime.

• Like 4

Think a bounty on rats would be a good start to help keep it down.

Plenty around the general markets, after it closes and has been hosed out.