News Forum - Bangkok’s first ‘real’ Pride parade coming up June 5

Thaiger

Pride month is approaching cities across the globe, including Bangkok! On June 5, the city is expected to host its first ‘real’ pride parade. Feminist activist Siri “Tata” Nilphruek said at a press conference yesterday that in the past, Bangkok’s pride parades were just street demonstrations. But this year, the organisers hope to make pride parade “an imporant event on the calendar, similar to Songkran or Loy Krathong,” said Promsorn Veerathamjari, a representative of sex workers. The parade is set to start at 4pm at Maha Uma Devi Temple, a Hindu temple sometimes called ‘Wat Khaek’ or ‘South Asian temple’ […]

The story Bangkok’s first ‘real’ Pride parade coming up June 5 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Why is it that we don't also have a 'straight parade day'?   We never would,  because of the outcry that it would cause, with shouts of discrimination, but isn't this the same, only different?  I've got no problem with it per see, but the hypocrisy rankles somewhat.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Why is it that we don't also have a 'straight parade day'?

The day being straight becomes a crime -- as being gay still is in many parts of the world -- you can start one. 

• Like 1

Why can't these people just say 'I am gay, well good for me' and then then carry on with their daily lives, why do they feel the need to push their lifestyles down everybody else's throat (not the greatest use of terminology I know).

Nobody else is interested in your sexual preference, leave us all alone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Why can't these people just say 'I am gay, well good for me' and then then carry on with their daily lives, why do they feel the need to push their lifestyles down everybody else's throat (not the greatest use of terminology I know).

my thoughts exactly

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cabra said:

The day being straight becomes a crime -- as being gay still is in many parts of the world -- you can start one. 

Then why don't all countries have an 'Equal Treatment of Downtrodden  Women Day? I would hazard a guess that the world's downtrodden women vastly outnumber the number of gay peoples? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Then why don't all countries have an 'Equal Treatment of Downtrodden  Women Day? I would hazard a guess that the world's downtrodden women vastly outnumber the number of gay peoples? 

OFF TOPIC: 1 March is the beginning of women's history month where the plight and advancement of all women worldwide is discussed and celebrated. Sorry you missed it. Next year pay more attention and you can engage if you are really that interested in women's rights. 

ON TOPIC: 1 June is pride month. So buckle up. If their parade triggered you, you might expect more of this. I for one am live and let live 🤷

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Cabra said:

1 March is the beginning of women's history month where the plight and advancement of all women worldwide is discussed and celebrated.

Meaningless if its not publically displayed.  Less talk, more action.

6 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Meaningless if its not publically displayed.  Less talk, more action.

Note to self: March 01 don’t beat wife in public because it is her special day. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Note to self: March 01 don’t beat wife in public because it is her special day. 

Note to Prayut, ditch the Saudi lot, they are one of the worst offenders, for both of the sections of society that this post is about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

No one has ever pushed a gay lifestyle on me or my friends. Why would they? On the contrary, I recall that when I was in university, the  "gay bars" were packed with straight kids looking to lay down some moves to the latest jungle or techno beats. My girlfriend liked to dance and we would go with a mixed crowd and have some fun.  It is a very different world than what the over 40 year olds most likely experienced. Almost everyone under the age of 40  has gay friends or family, and has friends of different gender and ethnicity. Young people don't really care. Gay pride is just another opportunity for a festival like Berlin Love fest, Oktoberfest, The Feast of Our Lady of Fatima,Queen's Jubilee etc.

If you don't wish to participate, don't go to the parade, stay home and shake your fist at the television news.

• Like 1

Part  of the issue is that people label others as Gay or Heterosexual or however society chooses.

My friends and colleagues are just that. Friends and colleagues. No labels involving age, looks, sporting prowess, drinking ability, or sexual orientation.

They are just friends. We chat about a variety of subjects, enjoy eating out and the company of our friends. Some of us have similar sporting interests and debate heavily the pro and cons of our teams. We support each other in times of need and celebrate the successes and events in our lives.

What my friends choose to do in private is up to them. If they wish to celebrate something I don't, then that is up to them.

As long as they are happy, that is enough for me to know. If they wish to visit and celebrate what they believe in and need a place to stay to attend the Bangkok event, they will always be welcome.

1 minute ago, Vigo said:

No one has ever pushed a gay lifestyle on me or my friends. Why would they? On the contrary, I recall that when I was in university, the  "gay bars" were packed with straight kids looking to lay down some moves to the latest jungle or techno beats. My girlfriend liked to dance and we would go with a mixed crowd and have some fun.  It is a very different world than what the over 40 year olds most likely experienced. Almost everyone under the age of 40  has gay friends or family, and has friends of different gender and ethnicity. Young people don't really care. Gay pride is just another opportunity for a festival like Berlin Love fest, Oktoberfest, The Feast of Our Lady of Fatima,Queen's Jubilee etc.

If you don't wish to participate, don't go to the parade, stay home and shake your fist at the television news.

When our police are joining in and they are driven by a liberal left wing ideology, they are losing the respect in the public with their gay coloured squad cars and their matching gay coloured Bobbies helmet, gay road crossings, many of us were quite happy crossing on a black and white crossing instead of throwing money at the gay drama queens.

But much of this nonsense comes from our liberal media and you say it is not been pushed down our throats, when it is all you see and read, trust me "it is being pushed down our throats"

God knows what the police think a truncheon is for these days.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cabra said:

I think that’s exactly the reason/rationale/excuse behind such parades. I totally get that and fully support the rights and freedoms of individuals to be whoever they wish. The only thing in relation to this, is why parade in London, New York where it’s not a crime to be homosexual?  The obvious answer is that you would be arrested doing it in Riyadh. But why not parade past the embassies of such countries? Why not focus their energy on those countries where it still is a crime?

For many heterosexuals, it can feel like we are being continually reminded that people are gay and we need to do more to accept it. I’m not sure what more I could possibly do to accept it and hence I’m bored of it. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Soidog said:

For many heterosexuals, it can feel like we are being continually reminded that people are gay and we need to do more to accept it. I’m not sure what more I could possibly do to accept it and hence I’m bored of it

Maybe so. I'm just not that offended. It's not an afront to my own sexuality. Love who you want. But if my choice was not heterosexuality, than the  heteronormativity nature of all our institutions might make me want to speak up more frequently in celebration of the alternatives previously marginalized. Which is what this community is doing with its new found acceptance and voice (and parades).

2 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Maybe so. I'm just not that offended. It's not an afront to my own sexuality. Love who you want. But if my choice was not heterosexuality, than the  heteronormativity nature of all our institutions might make me want to speak up more frequently in celebration of the alternatives previously marginalized. Which is what this community is doing with its new found acceptance and voice (and parades).

But is that that the point? “Previously marginalised”. Isn’t it job done and let’s move on now. Gay people want to be accepted and not discriminated against and surely that’s been achieved. Isn’t there a danger that those who are happy to accept freedoms will start to feel like it’s being continually pushed in my face. The best way to make it accepted and “normalised” is to be normal about it.   At the end of the day it’s just another parade and so it fine if that’s what people want. I just feel it perpetuates the attitude of gay people being different and set aside from others. I thought that was the very thing they were looking to overcome? 

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

But is that that the point? “Previously marginalised”. Isn’t it job done and let’s move on now. Gay people want to be accepted and not discriminated against and surely that’s been achieved. Isn’t there a danger that those who are happy to accept freedoms will start to feel like it’s being continually pushed in my face. The best way to make it accepted and “normalised” is to be normal about it.   At the end of the day it’s just another parade and so it fine if that’s what people want. I just feel it perpetuates the attitude of gay people being different and set aside from others. I thought that was the very thing they were looking to overcome? 

I will grant you, someone new, some new faction, is always coming forward to tell is they are agrieved. It should be an Olympic sport 🤣... and I'll concede it does get to be a bit much over time. Let them have a parade, as you say. Maybe next year they can just parade in front of the saudia arabia embassy 🤣

• Like 1