News Forum - Man threatens PM Prayut’s daughters on Twitter, sentenced to 5 years in prison

Thaiger

A man who posted a threatening message on Twitter aimed at the twin daughters of Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has been sentenced to 5 years imprisonment with no parole. Yesterday, Southern Bangkok Criminal Court found the man guilty of “publicising a crime” and for breaking the Computer Crimes Act because of a Tweet he posted in March last year. In March 2021, Wuttichai (surname reserved) tweeted… “If anyone finds Prayut’s daughters anywhere, don’t forget to rape them.” PM Prayut filed a case against the author of the tweet at Nang Loeng Police Station in Bangkok on March 23 last […]

The story Man threatens PM Prayut’s daughters on Twitter, sentenced to 5 years in prison as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So... Kill a doctor crossing a zebra crossing and it's 4000 bath and Max 1 year, say nasty things and threaten (without doing so I might add) the dough ter of the prime Minister and you get 5 years in prison.

I maybe should change my daily routine....

Instead of trying to make smart and dumb remarks on the newspaper topics in the hope I get some people to think and make up their own minds, I should buy a Ducati and start speeding on the streets of Bangkok. Chances are that I will suffer less consequences from that that I will sooner or later get from giving my opinion.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A stupid remark made probably in a moment of anger and frustration doesn't merit a jail term. Much less 5 years with no parole. Absolutely disproportional and a clear sign of how justice works in this country.

• Like 1

Interesting when it's a commoner in the dock against an "elite".   If it was your daughter(s), the usual blue collar hero, monkey-brain reaction is to pound chest and brag about grabbing a gun, or a pitch fork and tikki torch, and hunt this Twitter creep down to teach him a lesson he won't soon forget.   Messing with the kids for the sins of the father, is a line most would recognize as one you don't cross, or even joke about, especially the crude way this Thai Twitter Muppet did.   Ooops.   

Me no like this PM, but all things being equal, even if they're not, I don't fault him for stomping on this one hard and fast.  We've all witnessed the sickening influence social media can have on people. Too many sickos, and otherwise easily manipulated muppets glued to the television and their internet heroin. 

Filing suit and running it through the court was rather civilised of Prayuth.  Can you imagine what old Vlad Putin would have done?   And how many here would nod their heads in approval in that scenario.

14 minutes ago, TWS60 said:

Me no like this PM, but all things being equal, even if they're not, I don't fault him for stomping on this one hard and fast

That’s the problem though. The PM should have no influence on the punishment for the offender. The guy wrote a pretty offensive thing but he would get less time for physical assault than he did for writing 1 ugly sentence. imo, the punishment is disproportionate to the harm caused. 

On 5/27/2022 at 12:06 PM, RichardR said:

So... Kill a doctor crossing a zebra crossing and it's 4000 bath and Max 1 year, say nasty things and threaten (without doing so I might add) the dough ter of the prime Minister and you get 5 years in prison.

I maybe should change my daily routine....

Instead of trying to make smart and dumb remarks on the newspaper topics in the hope I get some people to think and make up their own minds, I should buy a Ducati and start speeding on the streets of Bangkok. Chances are that I will suffer less consequences from that that I will sooner or later get from giving my opinion.

No. One was manslaughter / negligence. Other could be violent threat to kids. Unrelated crimes with separate sentencing criteria. 

• Haha 1

As rude and violent the political fight for dominance can be, it is essential to set limits. And there is a strong consens that family is offbounds. This judgement reminds this and sets an important precedent in upcoming political fights.

3 hours ago, j-c said:

As rude and violent the political fight for dominance can be, it is essential to set limits. And there is a strong consens that family is offbounds. This judgement reminds this and sets an important precedent in upcoming political fights.

All well and good, but the question asked is - would the punishment have been the same if it wasn't directed at the family of the PM? If for instance. it was directed at YOUR family (assuming you are not a ruling member of the junta, that is)?

On 5/27/2022 at 3:06 PM, RichardR said:

Yep, that's how it is in these parts. Threatening any army general's daughter in Thailand isn't smart at all, even less so when he's also the prime minister.

• Like 1