News Forum - American cruise company looking for 1,000 Thai service staff

Thaiger

All aboard! The American cruise company that owns the Princess Cruise, Holland America Line, has visited Thailand’s Department of Employment seeking Thai staff to work onboard. The company says they have more than 1,000 positions available for Thai people saying that the famous Thai smile is perfect for the hospitality industry. The Director-General of the Employment Department, Pirot Choticsathian, welcomed the senior officers from the Holland America Line to his department office in Bangkok. Pirot said that he received the information from a Thai recruitment agency, Thai Seafarer Recruitment or TSTC, that the American company wanted to hire Thai people […]

The story American cruise company looking for 1,000 Thai service staff as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I highly caution Thai’s to be extremely careful with regard to working on any cruise ship (ie: Princes, aka Carnival). Employees are typically contracted through third parties which typically take a significant portion of one’s earnings, up to and exceeding 50%. You’re surcharged for a multitude of services, supplies, and travel expenses are typically yours, and one rarely ever has a day off, and/or allowed to go to port. It’s utterly grueling working conditions, there are never, ever excuses AND one must speak English fluently and perhaps other languages, again fluently. It basically comes down to indentured servitude.

• Like 1

Additionally, one’s work ethic must exceptionally high, self motivated, well beyond reproach (this isn’t typical for Thai’s). And if found less than desirable, one will be terminated / fired on the spot for incompetence, dropped at the next port of call and your expenses to return back to Thailand will be your own…

I wonder.... Isn't this actually discrimination in 2022?🤔

In America they're always the loudest about how racist things are and how nobody should discriminate. 

• Like 1

So they are looking to downgrade their customer service levels then?  The Thais have little comprehension of what excellent CS look's like, because they never see it here. The training task will be long and involved.

They can take the fat bird from my local 7/11,   we can do without her, as she is the slowest, most miserable person I have ever witnessed.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

They can take the fat bird from my local 7/11,   we can do without her, as she is the slowest, most miserable person I have ever witnessed

Do tell. What’s the dowry and can I have it in advance? 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

So they are looking to downgrade their customer service levels then?  The Thais have little comprehension of what excellent CS look's like, because they never see it here. The training task will be long and involved.

They can take the fat bird from my local 7/11,   we can do without her, as she is the slowest, most miserable person I have ever witnessed.  

'The Thais........' my favourite statement. What all of them? Everywhere? 😀

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Poolie said:

'The Thais........' my favourite statement. What all of them? Everywhere? 😀

In terms of customer service, yes, pretty much everywhere. Bad or indifferent CS  is almost a National trait 

Just now, Pinetree said:

In terms of customer service, yes, pretty much everywhere. Bad or indifferent CS  is almost a National trait 

Hmmmm.............😃

3 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Hmmmm.............😃

Let's have a poll? I know of nobody living here who doesn't share my view, including farang employers of Thais in CS related  jobs. 

Holland American is owned by Carnival Cruise Lines. It also owns Cunard, Seabourn, P&O, Costa and  Aida.

I have never seen Carnival Cruise Corp praised for the working conditions onboard these ships.

14 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I'm pretty sure that whenever they go abroad, they'll do a way better job tho. 

Thailand itself is laidback, so whoever lives or goes to Thailand just goes with the flow and becomes laidback. It's really not a matter of who we are talking about. It's more the vibe here that makes them less productive because it's way too laidback. 

I do know lots of Thai people who work abroad and do a perfect job. 

That's because they change their behavior to what's asked for in another place. 

Other people that I know who say the same thing as you, usually demand 5 star treatment at some food cart at a market. 

54 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Let's have a poll? I know of nobody living here who doesn't share my view, including farang employers of Thais in CS related  jobs. 

How many people do you know?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Poolie said:

How many people do you know?

The average person meets and interacts with over 10,000 people in his or her lifetime and influences positively or negatively, over 1,000 of them. ( quote from US Navy Admiral William H  McRaven)   I will leave you to do the maths.

15 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

The average person meets and interacts with over 10,000 people in his or her lifetime and influences positively or negatively, over 1,000 of them. ( quote from US Navy Admiral William H  McRaven)   I will leave you to do the maths.

So, not a large percentage of Thailand then? There being around 70m citizens. And you being a relative newcomer? 😀

He's American, so he's probably 'exaggerating'.

Thank you for saying 'maths.'

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Poolie said:

So, not a large percentage of Thailand then? There being around 70m citizens. And you being a relative newcomer? 😀

He's American, so he's probably 'exaggerating'.

Thank you for saying 'maths.'

Just for interest and amusement, let's  take apart the statistical, illogical  nonsense of your post, just for fun you understand.

We don't make statements, or draw conclusions,  from a sample that includes all possible numbers within a total population, i.e. a set that includes every Thai citizen.  That is clearly impossible. We all draw our conclusions from much smaller samples, experiences and draw upon intelligence from many other sources, for example, the experiences of others that are reported.  For example, it could be perfectly relevant for a person to draw valid conclusions on an experience, or even a country, that they have never visited or experienced first hand.   I know that getting kicked in the balls would hurt, a lot.  Thankfully, so far, I have never experienced it myself, yet, but I don't need to do so to reach a perfectly valid conclusion.  I am not a relative newcomer to Thailand, but even if I was, my conclusion on CS, based upon personal experience, the experiences of others, Trip reports, etc.,. make my conclusions perfectly valid. 

Admiral William H  McRaven is a most highly decorated Officer, a Seal and until a few years ago, Commander of all US Special Forces. I doubt very much that he deals in exaggeration.  

The US use 'math' as both a singular and as a plural, therefore by that definition, using the singular ' math' is valid.  Other cultures use 'maths' to describe a range of techniques and  processes that make up the art/science, or if you prefer, the language of mathematics.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Just for interest and amusement, let's  take apart the statistical, illogical  nonsense of your post, just for fun you understand.

We don't make statements, or draw conclusions,  from a sample that includes all possible numbers within a total population, i.e. a set that includes every Thai citizen.  That is clearly impossible. We all draw our conclusions from much smaller samples, experiences and draw upon intelligence from many other sources, for example, the experiences of others that are reported.  For example, it could be perfectly relevant for a person to draw valid conclusions on an experience, or even a country, that they have never visited or experienced first hand.   I know that getting kicked in the balls would hurt, a lot.  Thankfully, so far, I have never experienced it myself, yet, but I don't need to do so to reach a perfectly valid conclusion.  I am not a relative newcomer to Thailand, but even if I was, my conclusion on CS, based upon personal experience, the experiences of others, Trip reports, etc.,. make my conclusions perfectly valid. 

Admiral William H  McRaven is a most highly decorated Officer, a Seal and until a few years ago, Commander of all US Special Forces. I doubt very much that he deals in exaggeration.  

The US use 'math' as both a singular and as a plural, therefore by that definition, using the singular ' math' is valid.  Other cultures use 'maths' to describe a range of techniques and  processes that make up the art/science, or if you prefer, the language of mathematics.   

Woooo!! Get her! Tell the truth, you've got no chance of saying that even 10% of the Thai population are idle and shiftless and living here for even 10 minutes wont serve you in that case.

Seen American services intelligence recently? Nooo...thought not.

Maths is abbreviated mathematics. We dont have mathematic, except in theorems, and then only as an adjective.

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

10% of the Thai population are idle and shiftless

When did I ever say that?  Poor CS training and application does not translate to idle and shiftless. These are your words not mine. As for your other comments, your ignorance shines through mate. Your grasp of English is clearly tenuous at best. 

1 minute ago, Pinetree said:

When did I ever say that?  Poor CS training and application does not translate to idle and shiftless. These are your words not mine. As for your other comments, your ignorance shines through mate. Your grasp of English is clearly tenuous at best. 

Blame Hartlepool Grammar School for that. Personal insults duly noted. Cheers! 😃

• Like 1