News Forum - Official in one Phuket district plans to step up English teaching

Thaiger

Even though Thailand’s English language proficiency ranked 100 out of 112 countries last year, an official in one Phuket district isn’t giving up on teaching the language. The chief of Phuket’s Kathu district, Siwat Wangkun, says he has looked beyond the walls of the district’s schools for teaching English, since some school staff lack proficient English teaching skills. The groups Siwat has turned to for help include local government agencies, foundations, associations, and entrepreneurs who are qualified and proficient in English, and can help schools. Siwat said that the mayor of Patong Municipality, and the president of Kamala Sub-district Administrative Organisation, […]

The story Official in one Phuket district plans to step up English teaching as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Copy the Philippines and make English the language of instruction in school. Never happen here but it works.  

• Like 1

Kids just need casual exposure at a young age.  You don't need qualified/certified teachers for kids to get the basics.  My single mother was a waitress during the first five years of my life - before I had event started going to school - yet somehow I managed to become fluent enough to communicate.  

There are a lot of retirees here.  They should be able to volunteer one or two days a week at a local kindergarten just talking to the kids there.  Or make it an optional thing they can do for their retirement extension. 

They really don't want to think outside the box here.

Yes, Thais are very poor linquists.  Back when I worked in Bangkok, if Thais found out I could speak Thai, they immediately wanted to revert to Thai language.  Education is the reason.  Rote learning does not help at all.

13 minutes ago, glaird said:

Yes, Thais are very poor linquists.  Back when I worked in Bangkok, if Thais found out I could speak Thai, they immediately wanted to revert to Thai language.  Education is the reason.  Rote learning does not help at all.

Another sweeping statement. How many Thais do you know?😀