News Forum - Teenage gunman goes on rampage killing 19 children and 2 adults at a Texas primary school

Thaiger

Nineteen children and 2 adults have been shot dead at a Texas elementary school. The 18 year old gunman burst into the Robb Elementary School in the city of Uvalde just before noon on Tuesday, Texas time, and opened fire on students aged between 5 and 11, fatally shooting 19 victims before making his escape. The alleged shooter, identified by Texas officials as Salvador Ramos, also shot his grandmother before the rampage. The grandmother was airlifted to San Antonio and is still alive. The suspect was armed with a handgun, an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle and high-capacity magazines, law enforcement officers told […]

The story Teenage gunman goes on rampage killing 19 children and 2 adults at a Texas primary school as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

15 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

What's the difference between an Elementary and Primary school in USA. ?

In the US, Primary Schools are called Elementary Schools.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WilliamG said:

And then what? In UK Primary is 4 to 7, Secondary (Grammar or Comprehensive)  is 11-17ish, and after that it is Further education/College or University.

In the US there are grades kindergarten through 12 (ages 5 to 18), then University. Elementary school (kindergarten through 6th grade), middle school (7th through 9th) and high school (10th through 12th). The trend has been to eliminate middle school making high school 7th through 12th. Roughly speaking.

10 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

And then what? In UK Primary is 4 to 7, Junior is 7-11, Secondary (Grammar or Comprehensive)  is 11-17ish, and after that it is Further education/College or University.

how are years numbered in UK schools - Search (bing.com)

And then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_United_States#Educational_stages

6 minutes ago, Cabra said:

In the US there are grades kindergarten through 12 (ages 5 to 18), then University. Elementary school (kindergarten through 6th grade), middle school (7th through 9th) and high school (10th through 12th). The trend has been to eliminate middle school making high school 7th through 12th. Roughly speaking.

Times have changed when I was in school high school was 9th through 12th grade, junior high was 7th through 8th 

• Like 3

So, it's too dangerous to live in America nowadays, too many mass shootings besides the Asian hate crime because of COVID-19.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This has never been just about guns, its more about a very sick, dysfunctional  society. The US has big, big societal, racist and educational problems,  which it seems unable to acknowledge, never mind solve

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

When is a US President going to grow a pair and do something about their outdated gun laws. Blame it in on race, blame it on bad times, blame it on the boogie but the simple fact remains that you cannot shoot people without a gun. 
202 mass shootings (ie: 4 or more people shot) in 4 months including 27 school shootings. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2022

8 minutes ago, Fanta said:

When is a US President going to grow a pair and do something about their outdated gun laws. Blame it in on race, blame it on bad times, blame it on the boogie but the simple fact remains that you cannot shoot people without a gun. 
202 mass shootings (ie: 4 or more people shot) in 4 months including 27 school shootings. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2022

Because the U.S let psycho people buy guns and their excuses are to protect themselves from home invasion, mugging, robbery in order to defend themselves with the use of deadly force but that's not the case, the psychos shot those innocent people including children. The gun laws totally a disaster.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

US has big, big societal, racist and educational problems,  which it seems unable to acknowledge

Not wrong. When you have mass shootings at this level unseen anywhere else, it's hard to argue against this point.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Fanta said:

When is a US President going to grow a pair and do something about their outdated gun laws

One man/women can't fix it. Just not possible. Going to require a legislative and judicial branch willing to cooperate.

Truly shocking incident I don't know who I've got more contempt for the lunatic that killed these kids or the lunatic Politician's of the Democrat Party who are trying to make political clout out of the incident  before the facts are even out they couldn't even give it 24 hours grace. 

Well done to the Law Enforcement Officers (some of whom were of duty) who answered the call and neutralised the shooter.

As a famous man once said " there's only one thing that stops a bad guy with a gun that's a good guy with a gun".

Edited by 23RD
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Cabra said:

One man/women can't fix it. Just not possible. Going to require a legislative and judicial branch willing to cooperate.

And then it takes 2/3 of the states to change an amendment which I hope never happens 

• Like 3

Firstly, another sad episode. My thoughts and prayers to the families of the ones lost and my concerns for how the survivors will cope with the event in the future. 

The question I have with this is simply why does this happen, and has happened, so often in the US compared to other countries. I have always understood that many countries have gun availability and cultures surrounding protecting themselves. Yet we do not seem the same volume of incidents.

Some stats can be seen in the attached article:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

There is a difference between responsible and irresponsible gun ownership. Sadly I feel, there probably is an unintended leaning towards the latter by some simply seeking just to protect their rights. They are good people caught up often in the parochial and partisan reporting that occurs.

But I am equally sure many responsible gun owners are embarrassed at what some people do irresponsibly, yet take pride in the responsible manner they personally chose to handle and use their weapons. There is good and bad in everything we do.

Partisan debate by politicians and lobby groups and funding of them should end. It is time for a solution to the issues being encountered coming from those responsible gun owners co-operating with police and governments to deliver new solutions away from the usual political channels.

It does seem hypocritical for Texas as a State, for example, to treasure the life of a child in an anti-abortion position, yet do little to stop their deaths from gun violence after they are born.

Edited by Smithydog
typo
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, MikeW said:

And then it takes 2/3 of the states to change an amendment which I hope never happens 

The right to bear arms or the right to arm bears is in the Constitution and that is  too much like hard work to change.
Guns be no good without ammo 😀 Tax the manufacturers and suppliers of ammo into non existence. Or let the US continue to reap what they sow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

I don't think it (i.e., the wholly unique US problem of mass shootings on scale) necessarily needs a constitutional amendment to make a difference. There needs to be a multifaceted holistic approach around gun acquisition, mental health, school safety, monitor social messaging, etc., etc. No one thing solves or slows the problem.

31 minutes ago, Fanta said:

The right to bear arms or the right to arm bears is in the Constitution and that is  too much like hard work to change.
Guns be no good without ammo 😀 Tax the manufacturers and suppliers of ammo into non existence. Or let the US continue to reap what they sow.

Like Chris Rock said... US doesn't need gun control, they need bullet control 😉

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Some think it's a game 1 week a nut job does a Dozen kids the next week it's, MM i can make a name for myself so i'll get tooled up and do 20. 

1 hour ago, 23RD said:

Truly shocking incident I don't know who I've got more contempt for the lunatic that killed these kids or the lunatic Politician's of the Democrat Party who are trying to make political clout out of the incident  before the facts are even out they couldn't even give it 24 hours grace. 

Well done to the Law Enforcement Officers (some of whom were of duty) who answered the call and neutralised the shooter.

As a famous man once said " there's only one thing that stops a bad guy with a gun that's a good guy with a gun".

Maybe not so fast... There are reports now that law enforcement may have waited 45 minutes before entering the school. If that's true, then someone needs to lose their job.

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

A US President does not have the power to do something about the gun laws it requires a change in the federal laws to be passed by the House and Senate and then not be rejected as un-constitutional by the Supreme court who have set a precedent by interpreting the "right to bare arms" as a right to gun ownership (which is debatable), or a change to the US constitution to remove or alter the second amendment. Both of these options are not within the power of the Presidentand given the influence of the NRA and arms manufactures lobby's on the Republican side of US politics in particular that will never happen. I'm just glad that most of the rest of the world understands the fact that gun ownership is a privilege not a right and that in most places its a privilege that must be asked for and that can easily be removed. 

57 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Firstly, another sad episode. My thoughts and prayers to the families of the ones lost and my concerns for how the survivors will cope with the event in the future. 

The question I have with this is simply why does this happen, and has happened, so often in the US compared to other countries. I have always understood that many countries have gun availability and cultures surrounding protecting themselves. Yet we do not seem the same volume of incidents.

Some stats can be seen in the attached article:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

There is a difference between responsible and irresponsible gun ownership. Sadly I feel, there probably is an unintended leaning towards the latter by some simply seeking just to protect their rights. They are good people caught up often in the parochial and partisan reporting that occurs.

But I am equally sure many responsible gun owners are embarrassed at what some people do irresponsibly, yet take pride in the responsible manner they personally chose to handle and use their weapons. There is good and bad in everything we do.

Partisan debate by politicians and lobby groups and funding of them should end. It is time for a solution to the issues being encountered coming from those responsible gun owners co-operating with police and governments to deliver new solutions away from the usual political channels.

It does seem hypocritical for Texas as a State, for example, to treasure the life of a child in an anti-abortion position, yet do little to stop their deaths from gun violence after they are born.

The story is still unfolding ! To quick to make reference to it as you did in your last paragraph!

surfice to say “ there is good and bad in everything we do”.

A sick disturbing youngster, for sure!

We in the UK suffered a School shooting in Dunblane in 1996 over 25 years ago our Government took action on gun control and we have not had any more School shootings since. Why can't the yanks do the same?

• Like 1

America wouldn't exist without guns. And it won't continue to exist without them. America was founded upon freedom and the only thing that will keep America from devolving into a full tyranny again are individual ownership of the means to protect themselves. There is a reason the wise so called "founding fathers" made the second amendment to the U.S. Constitution the very next amendment behind the most important... free speech. 

• Like 2