News Forum - Health ministry asks international airports to screen for monkeypox symptoms

Thaiger

Thailand’s deputy health minister says the country’s international airports are being asked to screen arrivals for monkeypox symptoms. According to Sathit Pitutecha, the screening will apply in particular to travellers from 17 countries where cases of the virus have been reported. “Each airport has a disease control unit and officials will intensify measures against monkeypox by being more vigilant.” The Bangkok Post reports that the Department of Disease Control says arrivals from the UK, Spain, and Portugal will be closely screened for monkeypox symptoms. Travellers from those countries who have symptoms such as a rash will be asked to take […]

The story Health ministry asks international airports to screen for monkeypox symptoms as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I'll be traveling to Thailand in a month, I hope I'll make it in time before they close the boarders.

• Haha 1

How are they gonna check them? With the temperature scan directly under the aircon and have them scan their hand? With writing your name on a paper? 😂

They cannot mass-check monkeypox in an effective way, as initial stage of this disease is very similar to any commond cold-related disease (flu, cold, even COVID-19, or just a seasonal blocked nose or allergy-induced dizziness; swollen glands near ears or jaw can be confused as well, and even the most sophisticate chinese surveillance software would struggle to identify that).

Later stages would not be detected because the subject itself would not feel sufficiently in good health to go around, let alone travel. The only evident traits are cutaneous rashes, which comes when the patient is already unwell, and could also be confused with other skin disease in untrained personnel. 

Considering the rarity of monkeypox, I would bet with confidence that any travellers with conclamate symptoms (rashes, especially on face and hands, and under the feet, with consequent pain on walking) is easily recognizable at the check-in.

15 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

How are they gonna check them? With the temperature scan directly under the aircon and have them scan their hand? With writing your name on a paper? 😂

I bet they're discussing this as we speak:

*Thailand Pass 2.0

*fit to fly

*monkey pox pcr 72h before departure

*100.000 usd monkey pox insurance

* 14d quaranten+ 2Pcrs

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

I bet they're discussing this as we speak:

*Thailand Pass 2.0

*fit to fly

*monkey pox pcr 72h before departure

*100.000 usd monkey pox insurance

* 14d quaranten+ 2Pcrs

I've heard it's 3 weeks quarantine 🤑🤑🤑

• Haha 2

This whole monkey pox thing is a joke. It's less than 150 cases world wide outside Africa. The only question is whether this little outbreak is actually a symptom of reduced immune system function amongst people that have had covid which is certainly not even a a thing but it's possible it could be. 

11 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

reduced immune system function amongst people that have had covid

Reduced immune system function amongst people that used alcohol gel and tried to avoid every germ possible for the last 2,5 years, yes. 

Mainstream media main purpose it to sell fears, it has always been like that but I guess they have discovered 2 years and something ago that the fear that sells the best is the one related to health - war, terrorism and migrants come next (1 article + 1 video on Monkeypox on the Thaiger today, none on Ukraine - there is still a war going on there, right?). God knows they sold us a lot and god knows we bought more than we needed the past 2 years and something. Why should they stop now? Governments and rulers in general, as well as everyone who has health related products to sell, seem to make the most of it too. Post covid, this would have never made headlines, certainly in a country like Thailand where there has not even been a single person who had it...