News Forum - Phuket opens new prison facility with more space as demand increases

Thaiger

The Department of Correction has officially opened a new prison in Phuket in response to the increasing number of inmates. The new prison has much more space compared to the former, notoriously small, prison facility in Phuket Town. The inmates have now been moved from the old prison to their new, hopefully temporary, home. The prison has nearly 3,000 inmates nowadays. Yesterday, the Director-General of the Correction Department, Ayut Sinthopphan, along with the Phuket Governor, Narong Woonsew, joined the opening ceremony at the new Phuket prison in Thalang District. The prison construction started on July 29 in 2015 because the […]

The story Phuket opens new prison facility with more space as demand increases as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

12 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

This new prison can accomodate 3,459 inmates in total. At present, the new Phuket prison has 2,943 inmates.

Where is that “shake your head, OMG” GIF I have seen in a few posts when you need it? And it took them 6 years to build the thing. 

That is interesting.

Old news? I think that I remember this opening from a year ago. Also: Wasn't the old prison in use as a field hospital, already last summer?

If the prison is just opened now and already 85% full, what did they do with the inmates since last summer?

Questions and more questions.

I for one am always encouraged to visit a place that has high demand for prisons and continues to open them 🙄 p.s., that's sarcasm