News Forum - AirAsia plane lands on wrong runway in Bangkok

Thaiger

Today, Thailand’s Civil Aviation Authority – or CAAT – reported a “serious incident” which took place earlier this month. On May 4, an AirAsia Airbus A320-200 landed on the wrong runway at Bangkok’s Don Muang Airport. The Thai AirAsia aircraft departed Ranong city at 12:43 and landed on Don Muang’s unassigned 21L runway at 13:36, instead of the 21R runway as intended. Although no accidents occurred as a result of the mistake, Thailand’s CAAT has rated the incident as “serious” following standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organisation. Two pilots have been temporarily suspended in connection with the incident. […]

The story AirAsia plane lands on wrong runway in Bangkok as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

9 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

I wonder how the pilots can land the plane without the assistance of the control tower?.

Magic!! 😀

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Soidog said:

What’s the likely reason for this? Wrong ILS selected? 

Any number of things, but likely its misreading of the instruments and then not carrying out a final crew cross check that you are lined up on the right runway, in other words, poor CRM. 

• Like 3

Supposedly impossible (except when it has happened) unless the ILS is deliberately over-ridden or ignored, which could be done if a manual landing was being done for some reason.  

Glad they did not land on the Apron or a service road. OK no biscuits for the Guide dog then. Imagine this, brakes on landing and the co pilot screaming , "Wow! Vely short lunway boss!! But it so wide.....", as they land sideways.

Edited by IneptoCracy
  • Haha 1

Looking at the airport layout, I see there is a runway 21 R landing North to South, then 03L landing South to North. Are the airport flight maps wrong?

9 minutes ago, IneptoCracy said:

Looking at the airport layout, I see there is a runway 21 R landing North to South, then 03L landing South to North. Are the airport flight maps wrong?

I’m not sure what you mean by “Landing”. Runways can and are obviously used for take off and landing. Sorry if I’ve missed the point of the question, but the 21 (missing zero) represents the direction in degrees of the runway. So 21 is 210 degrees. The fire of landing or taking of on runway 21, the nose of the aircraft is pointing in a direction of 210 degrees. The L and R represent the direction of the circuit you would fly and hence determine positions of things like “downwind”

Again, apologies if you knew all this and I’ve missed the question.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IneptoCracy said:

No.  DMK has dual runways. 

21R/03L is the main runway, the longest one.  The L and R designation changes due to direction of travel.

21L/03R is furthest from the terminal and was not in use, not the designated runway for incoming flights, seldom used except for AirForce operations.

• Thanks 2