News Forum - Thai Airways to auction off Boeing 737-400 Airframe via Facebook Live

Thaiger

After reporting a net loss of nearly 3.4 billion baht on revenue in Q1, cash-strapped Thai Airways are continuing their online yard sale in a bid to make some extra money. This time, the airline is auctioning off an entire Boeing 737-400 airframe via Facebook Live on their page TG Warehouse Sale this Wednesday, May 25, at 3pm. A TG Warehouse Sale Facebook post reads… “One & Only: Now is your opportunity to own an aircraft with a long history from Thai Airways. We invite business owners or anyone interested to bid on a B737-400 Airframe. You could convert it […]

The story Thai Airways to auction off Boeing 737-400 Airframe via Facebook Live as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The seats sold out in 1 minute, generating a profit of over 1 million Thai baht for the airline.

A return, or income, definitely not a profit!  

• Like 3

pop-up restaurant serving aeroplane food for aviation lovers who missed the taste of an in-flight meal.

No accounting for peoples tastes, personally spent the past 20+ years avoiding airline food and definitely never missed it.

10 minutes ago, palooka said:

pop-up restaurant serving aeroplane food for aviation lovers who missed the taste of an in-flight meal.

No accounting for peoples tastes, personally spent the past 20+ years avoiding airline food and definitely never missed it.

Yeah but here, you can chuck it out of the window if you dont want it. 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Yeah but here, you can chuck it out of the window if you dont want it. 😃

The windows don't open?

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

A return, or income, definitely not a profit!  

Good luck explaining those terms to most Thais. Some must understand it in order to file proper company tax returns. 

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, SSimpson said:

It doesn't say how many seats were sold to generate this enormous 'profit'.

1 million Thai Baht. That’s only £23,000 or $29,000. 

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

1 million Thai Baht. That’s only £23,000 or $29,000. 

Not worth much more as an airframe is basically just scrap aluminum in the shape of a fuselage, no engines , which is where the value is, no electronics, no internals, so It's just scrap value.  Sounds like a bit of maneuvering to get a little more than a scrap merchant would offer.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Not worth much more as an airframe is basically just scrap aluminum in the shape of a fuselage, no engines , which is where the value is, no electronics, no internals, so It's just scrap value.  Sounds like a bit of maneuvering to get a little more than a scrap merchant would offer.  

at the current aluminum price (3 dollars/kg), considering a 737 is basically 80% aluminum (almost 50 tons), that's about 5 million baht worth in Al. Not really scrap, better a good deal

9 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Sold as-is, where-is. so it's the buyers responsibility to remove the airframe in one piece.  

They have 2 x 737's, 9 x A340's, 2 x A380's and 18 x 777's for sale on the same basis, some no longer airworthy.

2 minutes ago, Ivo_Shandor said:

at the current aluminum price (3 dollars/kg), considering a 737 is basically 80% aluminum (almost 50 tons), that's about 5 million baht worth in Al. Not really scrap, better a good deal

Sure, good point, but then we have processing costs to deduct as what its made of is not freely available aluminum.  We will see of course, but I would guess they will not get much more than the 1 million Baht quoted.   I was once involved in the sale of an abandoned B757, that was eventually sold for around $26,000 if memory serves me right.  Interestingly, each of the engines fetched the same amount as the whole fuselage.  Admittedly, that was back in 1995. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ivo_Shandor said:

Approx 30,000 kgs is the stripped out dry weight so it would be closer to 2.5m thb by the time all non-Alum parts are removed, less removal costs to a breakers yard so I'd say ~1m baht could be fair value as scrap.

• Like 2

Al reprocessing is around 1 dollar/kg, so that would not be more than 50k$. Low cost workforce can be found. I think there is still room for a 2.5 to 3 million baht profit.

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

Approx 30,000 kgs is the stripped out dry weight so it would be closer to 2.5m thb by the time all non-Alum parts are removed, less removal costs to a breakers yard so I'd say ~1m baht could be fair value as scrap.

50 tons are the Al part, a 737 weights more than 60 tons (empty).

One entrepreneur about a 10 minute drive from our house has bought 3 used planes and has indeed turned at least one of them into a coffee shop. They are situated on the 331 just outside Pattaya, haven't been yet but it is on my bucket list. 

The guy is the same guy that owns the Army Surplus store on Sukumvit Road near Pattaya. I may have to call in the next time I'm passing. 

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

They do with a carefully applied brick. 😀

You would need a lot more than a brick to smash an aircraft window. 

2 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

You would need a lot more than a brick to smash an aircraft window. 

A 7' x 4' brick? Propelled by a howitzer? 😃

2 minutes ago, Poolie said:

A 7' x 4' brick? Propelled by a howitzer? 😃

yep, that will do it, but it's a bit extreme just to throw your food away? 

6 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

yep, that will do it, but it's a bit extreme just to throw your food away? 

True, true, but then again, some people like to make a big noise when they're dissatisfied. 😀

I mean, try making them wear a mask...............

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

One entrepreneur about a 10 minute drive from our house has bought 3 used planes and has indeed turned at least one of them into a coffee shop. They are situated on the 331 just outside Pattaya, haven't been yet but it is on my bucket list. 

The guy is the same guy that owns the Army Surplus store on Sukumvit Road near Pattaya. I may have to call in the next time I'm passing. 

Its 5 minutes from my house and its a rip off.  Prices are ridiculous. Ex Navy man I hear. 

I was being facetious. The point I was making is did they sell 30 pairs of seats or 3,000 pairs of seats to make the 1m Baht 'profit'?

• Haha 1