Why Are You A Member of a Forum? Really?

Pinetree

In keeping with most people, I would say that I am on the forum for information purposes, but then I ask myself, really? I think it has morphed more into a source of light entertainment, rather than a source of what's going on and why. My friends and I have lively debates over all kinds of areas  and also pass on information of value to each other.  This is from people we trust, so the forum is no longer strictly for that purpose, at least for me, except that visa /extension/Immigration experiences are always welcome.   We all live very different lives here in LOS, from those in Bangkok, to Issan, Pattaya,  to Chang Mai, to Phuket, to the East, where I live, to some who don't live in LOS at all, but just visit. There seems to be such a wide variety of experiences, that no one member has all the answers, or good/bad experiences and  debates often degenerate fast, as each person vigorously defends their own views. Entertaining yes,  bringing us back to, arguably, the reason we all stay and contribute to the show, for 'show' is often what it appears.  

Just a personal take on forums. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I come here to witness the unreasoned bigotry of some posters and remind myself that the world is such a compassion stricken place amongst those who should know better. 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Poolie said:

I come here to witness the unreasoned bigotry of some posters and remind myself that the world is such a compassion stricken place amongst those who should know better. 😃

Is it your hobby.....?    🤓

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Forums are entertainment that one can be personally involved in, look at the smartphone boom, anyone can be entertained in a multitude of ways if they own one....😎

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

Its a good place for local information, if you can sift through the B/S.

Always good for a bit of a laugh.

• Like 1

I really enjoy reading the caustic posts from our Marxist and Maoist brethren and I'm rarely disappointed. 🇨🇳

• Haha 3
  • Cool 1

The real matter for me is for Visa updates and some information. Visa inof as was always changing is how it all started for me years ago on another forum and this is really my only main big concern unless the crapiola hits the fan here. All else is just to sometimes break up some monotony in my days for the things I do and to have maybe a little interaction with the some folk, and this can include mine and their likes and dislikes and feelings about certain countries good and bad. For Thailand I love the country but dislike somethings they do as is nothing is perfect, but by keepign up on things ans opinions helps me to also form and opinion to help for my kids lives as they are the ones who have their entire lives in front of them here and if they choose then somewhere else out in the world.. 

• Like 1

I like the banter and how certain members just like the challenge of a tear up online. Especially when some members take things personally.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

I initially looked forward to following discussions about current events but eventually the constant bickering and ad hominem comments turned me off to where I don't bother with TheThaiger much any more.  Those kind of vibes are unhealthy for me.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

i come here mostly for the 'chicken little' scares concerning thai visas.

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2022 at 10:29 AM, hondo said:

Like “the sky will fall in” if you don’t directly follow “ the rules “ religiously and , shock / horror, commit the ultimate sin and use a visa agent ! 🤣 because it’s “ illegal / immoral / promotes corruption” etc.

As if, in this wonderful “no rules” place, the mighty farang can affect the “ pandemic” corruption culture / system here 🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 10:35 AM, Scarface said:

The same reason as everyone else..I'm bored sh*tless.

Certainly passes the time well enough …👍😎

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 12:19 AM, ThailandBob said:

I initially looked forward to following discussions about current events but eventually the constant bickering and ad hominem comments turned me off to where I don't bother with TheThaiger much any more.  Those kind of vibes are unhealthy for me.

But I can’t resist challenging Obvious Nonsense & Pseudo stuff though…. my original intent, still valid today, was “Help” then “Learn” followed by “Challenge”.👍😎😉then later “Time Passed”😏

My favorite website though for real intensive expert comments on everything but specifically Military matters, is QUORA. I’m in awe there and never post myself…..

On 5/23/2022 at 2:11 PM, HolyCowCm said:

The real matter for me is for Visa updates and some information. Visa inof as was always changing is how it all started for me years ago on another forum and this is really my only main big concern unless the crapiola hits the fan here. All else is just to sometimes break up some monotony in my days for the things I do and to have maybe a little interaction with the some folk, and this can include mine and their likes and dislikes and feelings about certain countries good and bad. For Thailand I love the country but dislike somethings they do as is nothing is perfect, but by keepign up on things ans opinions helps me to also form and opinion to help for my kids lives as they are the ones who have their entire lives in front of them here and if they choose then somewhere else out in the world.. 

Found my excellent Visa Agent highly recommended on these Thai Farang Forums. Plus prior deep understanding    of “ Visas/ Stay Permissions”. Last week took the plunge and got my first in- country Retirement Stay Permission.😎

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 10:29 AM, hondo said:

You Tube great for those “ chicken dances” where boxers try to stay upright on rubbery legs after brain has received a “ lights out” strike 😎🤣

On 5/24/2022 at 12:19 AM, ThailandBob said:

Well said, TB. 

I was truly delighted to find the Thaiger after I left that other place, and for a similar reason of enjoying discussions regarding current events.

Sadly, those discussions that I looked forward to rarely panned out and Members who might have added much to those conversations moved on instead; I want to be angry that they left, but I get it now.

I am an optimist, so I do look in once and a while, but...

Discussions that truly benefit a visitor or resident of Thailand. Great restaurants, cool bars, travel advice/tips, unseen Thailand, navigating Thai bureaucracy, photos, recipes, sports banter, trivia/quizzes, on and on and on....

The political threads and never ending Thai-bashing/moaning are just time-wasters when I need any excuse to walk away from my computer 😜

• Like 3

On 5/27/2022 at 10:35 AM, Scarface said:

The same reason as everyone else..I'm bored sh*tless.

To break the boredom of others🙂

On 5/23/2022 at 10:14 AM, Pinetree said:

In keeping with most people, I would say that I am on the forum for information purposes, but then I ask myself, really? I think it has morphed more into a source of light entertainment, rather than a source of what's going on and why. My friends and I have lively debates over all kinds of areas  and also pass on information of value to each other.  This is from people we trust, so the forum is no longer strictly for that purpose, at least for me, except that visa /extension/Immigration experiences are always welcome.   We all live very different lives here in LOS, from those in Bangkok, to Issan, Pattaya,  to Chang Mai, to Phuket, to the East, where I live, to some who don't live in LOS at all, but just visit. There seems to be such a wide variety of experiences, that no one member has all the answers, or good/bad experiences and  debates often degenerate fast, as each person vigorously defends their own views. Entertaining yes,  bringing us back to, arguably, the reason we all stay and contribute to the show, for 'show' is often what it appears.  

Just a personal take on forums. 

To be honest, Keeping up to date with visa requirements and Thai regulations.

To give an example, I had no idea about the passport/id requirement that came in some years ago to keep a phone number, a local happened to mention it to me and I logged into the forum I was on at the time,They explained all the new rules and I went to the local AIS and fixed it.