News Forum - Japan government says masks not needed outside if you don’t talk too much

Thaiger

Japan’s government is saying it’s not necessary for people to wear masks outside, as long as they aren’t talking to others a lot. On Friday, Health Labor and Welfare Minister Shigeyuki Goto, said that even indoors, masks aren’t necessary if people are not talking a lot, and they can properly socially distance. The recent change to the Japanese government’s position on masks reportedly comes in light of the increased risk of heatstroke in the country as it heads into summer. Shigeyuki noted, however, that the government still recommends wearing masks on crowded trains. “Even if you pass by other people […]

The story Japan government says masks not needed outside if you don’t talk too much as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Many governments around the tried to strategize ways to get people to keep their masks on; Japan now faces an uphill battle getting people to take their masks off.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Many governments around the tried to strategize ways to get people to keep their masks on; Japan now faces an uphill battle getting people to take their masks off.

Fear can make some react against a disease / pollution  by using what they consider and feel ok with ,Masks.

It looks like some have continually  accepted this !

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/100-years-and-counting-mask-wearing-japan

Im ok with their choice especially when one has underlying health issues

• Like 2

To Thai mask-ists out there, it’s over. If Japan doesn’t think it’s mandatory then why does Thailand? 

End masks now!

• Like 4

Another country coming to their senses and scrapping the mandatory masks. 

And nothing less than Japan - the bastion of long term mask wearing when sick...... Says a lot doesn't it. 

Come on, Thailand. 

• Like 4

Ah.. the good old social distancing. Too easy. Just don’t shower and that problem takes care of itself. I’ll miss my mask because it means I’ll need to start shaving again. Soon enough I’ll be shaving and showering daily. Ah well, it was only 2 years but it was good while it lasted /s

• Haha 2

I would like to see people be more considerate of others when they are sick! Stay home! If you must be out and about cover your face in close tight settings !

• Like 4

Great,so for people who do not talk too much it will be fine.

Politicians and a few other people i know will be wearing them forever.

On the serious side,who decides when one talks too much?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, riclag said:

Fear can make some react against a disease / pollution  by using what they consider and feel ok with ,Masks.

It looks like some have continually  accepted this !

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/100-years-and-counting-mask-wearing-japan

When fear turns into obsession, it is always negative eventually.

The mask is only one tool Japanese use for their phobia against germs and bacteria so certainly against viruses. They are literrally obsessed with higyene and health, only humans need germs and bacteria around to build up their immune system. And indeed the less they are around the weaker the immune system becomes, as this Japanese scientist warned people in Japan in this article published in 2013 (https://japantoday.com/category/features/kuchikomi/national-obsession-with-cleanliness-bodes-ill-for-health).

The ironic which might explain the low death rate of covid in Japan, it seems they have a "A genetic feature linked to white blood cells found in more than half of Japanese people may help the body fight back against COVID-19, activating immune cells that recognize seasonal cold viruses, according to a study by Japan's Riken research institute." (https://japantoday.com/category/features/kuchikomi/national-obsession-with-cleanliness-bodes-ill-for-health). It makes wearing a mask outdoor indeed an obsession.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Manu said:

When fear turns into obsession, it is always negative eventually.

The mask is only one tool Japanese use for their phobia against germs and bacteria so certainly against viruses. They are literrally obsessed with higyene and health, only humans need germs and bacteria around to build up their immune system. And indeed the less they are around the weaker the immune system becomes, as this Japanese scientist warned people in Japan in this article published in 2013 (https://japantoday.com/category/features/kuchikomi/national-obsession-with-cleanliness-bodes-ill-for-health).

The ironic which might explain the low death rate of covid in Japan, it seems they have a "A genetic feature linked to white blood cells found in more than half of Japanese people may help the body fight back against COVID-19, activating immune cells that recognize seasonal cold viruses, according to a study by Japan's Riken research institute." (https://japantoday.com/category/features/kuchikomi/national-obsession-with-cleanliness-bodes-ill-for-health). It makes wearing a mask outdoor indeed an obsession.

I actually put the wong link to the study about the genetic feature...

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Genetic-factor-may-soften-COVID-blow-for-Japanese-study

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, birdman said:

Perhaps we need to modify masks for politicians - ball gags would improve everyone's environment!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, riclag said:

I would like to see people be more considerate of others when they are sick! Stay home! If you must be out and about cover your face in close tight settings !

Absolutely. And that’s the problem with Thailand’s rules.

They aren’t measures effective at preventing infection or curing those infected. They’re purely show—masks, Thai Pass, temperature checks, even quarantining the healthy. None of these do anything to prevent spread or cure disease.

If those feeling unwell were the only ones wearing masks in public then you’d see real social distancing in action! 

But, no, Thai government thinks mandatory masks helps rather than doing things like acquire more Paxlovid for high risk people who do inevitably contract covid. But we never hear about that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"A lot"

Such a quantifiable description. I exercise "a lot" so why am I still fat? I make "a lot" of money so why can't I afford a Rolls? I get "a lot" of tail so why am I still always horny?

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

They aren’t measures effective at preventing infection or curing those infected. They’re purely show—masks, Thai Pass, temperature checks, even quarantining the healthy. None of these do anything to prevent spread or cure disease.

If those feeling unwell were the only ones wearing masks in public then you’d see real social distancing in action! 

But, no, Thai government thinks mandatory masks helps rather than doing things like acquire more Paxlovid for high risk people who do inevitably contract covid. But we never hear about that. 

Bang on. The way to better health outcomes is to target the vulnerable, elderly, get them boosted, treated properly and aware of the risk so they take individual precautions.

Public health restrictions have proven ineffective across the world against Omicron, their time is over.

That's why the vast majority of countries are dropping them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rc1 said:

Another country coming to their senses and scrapping the mandatory masks. 

And nothing less than Japan - the bastion of long term mask wearing when sick...... Says a lot doesn't it. 

Come on, Thailand. 

Just as a point of order, Japan has never had a “mandatory” mask order. There have never been fines for non-compliance. It has always been voluntary. 

Even so, voluntary compliance is very high, 95%+ even outdoors, with the exception of south Osaka (Japan’s equivalent of east London). 

The government is now recognizing that masks outdoors may be counterproductive to public health, with the risk of heat stroke. Great to see this government announcement.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

Without getting into a pissing contest about antivirals. It seems the Thai govt is putting all their  efforts into Favipiravir ! 
 I can vouch for this drug  ! Because of my age ,I was prescribed this after I contracted “ the beast” a few days ago , so far  so good.

My wife also has reacted favorably to the treatment!

I could be wrong but they are limiting this treatment to only people with underlying health issues and the elderly .

I think this pandemic has a lot of experts scratching their heads!

I feel sorry for the sepsis crowd! They got hit hard!

Just a opinion to your comment. Sorry if its off topic

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Japan’s government is saying it’s not necessary for people to wear masks outside, as long as they aren’t talking to others a lot.

Thai government must think that Thais talk too much. That is why masks mandate still on.🤣

3 hours ago, JJJ said:

To Thai mask-ists out there, it’s over. If Japan doesn’t think it’s mandatory then why does Thailand? 

End masks now!

Only when Korea says so, Thailand will copy it instantly. 

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

The government is now recognizing that masks outdoors may be counterproductive to public health, with the risk of heat stroke. Great to see this government announcement.

I wonder when Japan is going to be called a conspiracy theorist. It's only a matter of time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Because of my age ,I was prescribed this after I contracted “ the beast” a few days ago , so far  so good

Did you start neighing already? Or wasn't that the horse paste? 😂😂😂

13 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

I wonder when Japan is going to be called a conspiracy theorist. It's only a matter of time. 

Who will be doing the calling… and for what?

I am fortunate that I live in Nishinari, Osaka, the freest thinking area of Japan. Even at the height of the pandemic, bars, pachinko parlours and restaurants here were open. “Requests” to close food and beverage outlets were mostly ignored; people travelled from far and wide to experience “normality”. 

It will be interesting to see the gradual return to normal life, but I think Japan will be one of the last countries to put this in the rear view mirror.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fanta said:

Ah.. the good old social distancing. Too easy. Just don’t shower and that problem takes care of itself. I’ll miss my mask because it means I’ll need to start shaving again. Soon enough I’ll be shaving and showering daily. Ah well, it was only 2 years but it was good while it lasted /s

And you thought the restaurant waitress was really nice getting a personal floor fan for you.🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, birdman said:

[...]

On the serious side, who decides when one talks too much?

Mother Nature ?

Women use an average of 20,000 words a day, compared to the mere 7,000 that men utter

😉

6 hours ago, birdman said:

You have to use a talkometer. You can get them on Lazada. I built one for a former girlfriend 

• Haha 1

It’s not just mask laws that Japan has been strict about. Japan has been criticised for its strict border controls. Earlier this month, Japan’s PM announced that in June, visitors can enter the country “as smoothly as other G-7 nations”.

Except the G7 all have different rules, many countries in Europe have not caught up to the UK which abandoned everything in March. It was also a lie because they're going to still have a cap on arrivals of 20,000 and still require pre departure tests. Japanese wore masks on trains for SARS 1 still, they will move very slowly to genuinely reopen, which means zero rules. 

• Thanks 1