Need help with finding used big bike parts in Thailand

thaifarmer

Having an issue with my master cylinder hydraulic brake. It's internal seals are worn out so I need a revision set. The price for my particular model (yamaha tdm850 TX4 1996) is around 70 euro, when added shipping to it, it nears 100 euro. 

While revision sets of this kind are often around 600 - 1000 THB, mine is hard to find. Went earlier for a complete master cylinder lever assembly from china (17usd complete) it bites back with a vengeance as the top reservoir leaks the biting oil on my laquer 😑

So I found another way of solving this problem. It seems that a used cylinder/lever from a tdm900 and yamaha fazer also can be used (and probably a lot more models with steering diameter at 22mm (7/8)), and the revision sets for those are easy to find. Now it poses a bit of challenge to find these used cylinder/lever. Ebay list some but with shipping it again becomes too expensive. 

So the question is, does anybody on this forum knows of big bike parts for sale anywhere in Thailand? If it is in Thai, I can let my wife translate. Also can use her FB account bcs I do not have one. I live in Hua-Hin area.

🏍️🏍️🏍️❤️

Edited by thaifarmer
added location

46 minutes ago, birdman said:

There is a Yamaha 850 Thailand page on Facebook,why don't you open

a facebook account yourself?

Thanks for the info. Going to check it out. FB and I do not agree on many terms.., I leave it that.

4 hours ago, thaifarmer said:

Having an issue with my master cylinder hydraulic brake. It's internal seals are worn out so I need a revision set.

You need to think outside the box 😀
5/8” brake master cylinder? Take the seal out and take it to your local car parts store. They will have a suitable brake seal. Tell them it is for brakes so they don’t give you an oil seal. I have found it’s best not to tell them it is for a motorcycle otherwise they say “no have“ without checking their stock. 
Seals for motorcycle brake calipers need to be original and generally must be ordered from Japan. Red Baron or Stadium in BKK can help with that.

btw: Scooters run 3/8” hydraulics while bigger bikes run 5/8”. This is probably why your 17USD master bites - it is too small for the lines or maybe it is just crap. Can you steal the seal from it? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fanta said:

You need to think outside the box 😀
5/8” brake master cylinder? Take the seal out and take it to your local car parts store. They will have a suitable brake seal. Tell them it is for brakes so they don’t give you an oil seal. I have found it’s best not to tell them it is for a motorcycle otherwise they say “no have“ without checking their stock. 
Seals for motorcycle brake calipers need to be original and generally must be ordered from Japan. Red Baron or Stadium in BKK can help with that.

btw: Scooters run 3/8” hydraulics while bigger bikes run 5/8”. This is probably why your 17USD master bites - it is too small for the lines or maybe it is just crap. Can you steal the seal from it? 

Thx for the info! What i did before: I measured the diameter of the piston (i think it was 16 or 17mm)(sorry, metrics guy here, but i think that corresponds with 5/8) and I ordered a similar size revision set, not my bike related. unfortunately, outside diameters were correct, but inside not. tried it anyway, didn't work, could not bleed the system although no oil leaked out from the lever side. 

anyway, going to try the trick with the seal in the car parts shop, see what happens.... 😎.

15 hours ago, thaifarmer said:

Thx for the info! What i did before: I measured the diameter of the piston (i think it was 16 or 17mm)(sorry, metrics guy here, but i think that corresponds with 5/8) and I ordered a similar size revision set, not my bike related. unfortunately, outside diameters were correct, but inside not. tried it anyway, didn't work, could not bleed the system although no oil leaked out from the lever side. 

anyway, going to try the trick with the seal in the car parts shop, see what happens.... 😎.

Are you bleeding it at the top?Much easier that way and 100% sure no air stays in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, birdman said:

Are you bleeding it at the top?Much easier that way and 100% sure no air stays in.

no, at the claw. and tapping the lines so bubbles rise upwards..... Also wait 24 hours after an oil fill. And if the claw was empty before, I remove the bleeding nipple and add oil with a syringe. 

57 minutes ago, thaifarmer said:

no, at the claw. and tapping the lines so bubbles rise upwards..... Also wait 24 hours after an oil fill. And if the claw was empty before, I remove the bleeding nipple and add oil with a syringe. 

I find it easier to fill oil from the bottom,the bubbles will come out on the top

and you will have no air in your system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, birdman said:

I find it easier to fill oil from the bottom,the bubbles will come out on the top

and you will have no air in your system.

thx, will try next time.

• Like 1

If you didn't die riding your motorbike in Thailand yet,  maybe it is the right moment to stop riding it. 

Good luck

• Haha 1