News Forum - Alcohol ban in Pattaya and Bangkok from 6pm Saturday

Thaiger

On 5/21/2022 at 8:51 AM, Soidog said:

To be fair mate I don’t think it’s the loss of booze for 24 hours that’s the cause for complaint, not for me at least. What irks me about it is the total lack of logic or progressive thought. Where is the evidence to support a greater turn out of voters if the bars are closed and alcohol sales banned? What impact on the hospitality business; already ravaged by Covid restrictions, does a days closure cause (on top of the more understandable ban on religious days)? Why is it only Alcohol that is banned if the aim is to ensure more voter participation? Why don’t they just make voting a legal obligation? 

Once again, this just smacks of - This is how it’s always been done. Don’t question it. Don’t try to improve things. Don't justify it to anyone, even the Thai public. Don’t look for best practice around the world. Don't learn. Don’t change. 

I have never come across a Thai who has ever complained about it. Most Thais do not drink much anyway as far as I can see. 

When I am in Thailand I never complain about what goes on there as if I want to live in a country which supports my views of how things should be then I would live in my own country the UK

I have lived and worked in many countries over a few decades. It was never my job to change those countries to suit my own beliefs of right and wrong. 

Maybe most Thais agree with the drinking ban. 

• Like 1

Perhaps it is not so much agreement, but the general attitude of "why get upset about something one cannot change".

Besides, there are always ways around bans.

Edited by astro
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 10:44 AM, Pinetree said:

What's ridiculous is that farangs get upset by it.  It's not your country or your culture, so get over it. Can't you go one 24 hours without alcohol?  If you cannot, you need help. If its that important, that some people can't plan to buy their booze in advance.  I don't particularly wish to be argumentative, but the reaction posts on here so far strike me as  immature and rather  pathetic.   

What strikes me as pathetic, every time there is a dry day we get the gormless comments "they can't go a day without alcohol" "can't plan ahead". 

The people who are irritated are the ones who miss their social outing to bar, resto, club whatever. If they wanted to drink at home (like alcoholics do) they are more than capable of planning ahead. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Most Thais do not drink much anyway as far as I can see. 

Sorry James but you must not be going to the right areas. Most nights of the week Thais bars are rammed full and the party goes on late in to the night (pre-Covid). 

• Like 1

There is always a mom and pop store that will sell alcohol.

At least upcountry.

You ever wonder why there are so many road accidents in Thailand, I will give you one reason:

"Alcohol"

11 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Why should you?  Unless you have PR, you are a very temporary resident here, for a maximum of your 12 month extension. Why should the Thais give you any say in the running of their country, why should they bother what you feel or think about their laws or their culture? And please don't quote the untruth that you are in any way a major part of their economy;. they can do without you.  Unless what is driving you is the all too common farang western arrogance. It's an old and well used saying, but still true; if you don't like it, then don't live here. 

I agree, when I am there for long periods of time (pre-virus times) I used to get annoyed meeting these long term moaning annual visa types who on moan and moan about the country, if I disagree then they just say they know more as they have been here longer, I say you know only what you experience over and over, the country is not uniform in that each person is a clone of each other. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Sorry James but you must not be going to the right areas. Most nights of the week Thais bars are rammed full and the party goes on late in to the night (pre-Covid). 

I suppose if I go into a pub anywhere in the world and see people drinking then I can assume that all people of that country drink on a daily basis?

If I go into a church and see it packed I can assume everyone is a Christian?

Most Thais I know would go to a restaurant to enjoy themselves rather than a pub, that is why there are many more restaurants than bars.

• Like 1

Is it really such a big deal - just like the 2-5pm ban on alcohol sales, it's not that hard to nip down to the nearest 7-11 beforehand and get a few cans or bottles in to tide you over, if you are that desperate.

• Like 1

OFFENSIVE conduct and continued off-topic nonsense has resulted in many posts being removed.  READ the Forum Guidelines please!

Moderator.

Edited by KaptainRob
Original content deleted

5 hours ago, JamesR said:

I suppose if I go into a pub anywhere in the world and see people drinking then I can assume that all people of that country drink on a daily basis?

If I go into a church and see it packed I can assume everyone is a Christian?

Most Thais I know would go to a restaurant to enjoy themselves rather than a pub, that is why there are many more restaurants than bars.

Well that’s maybe the case and sometimes it’s difficult to differentiate a Thai bar from a Thai restaurant. But my experience of Thais is that they will drink at home, at a bar or at a restaurant. They are big drinkers in my experience and not just at weekends. They don’t consume as much as the U.K. or US, though that is partially due to money. However they consume more than the Philippines, Vietnam and Cambodia. I think they rank something like 40th in the world for alcohol consumption 

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/alcohol-consumption-by-country

12 hours ago, Nivram said:

At least upcountry.

You ever wonder why there are so many road accidents in Thailand, I will give you one reason:

"Alcohol"

To be fair, it's not "Alcohol" it's the excessive consumption of it, then getting in or on a vehicle and driving. We can go out and enjoy a glass of Alcohol with dinner then walk home, its a choice.

12 hours ago, Nivram said:

At least upcountry.

"Alcohol"

In my area in CM it became increasingly harder to impossible to get it on these days when covid rules were in hard enforcement and not to the relaxed period as now. One time I went to 6 shops even 5 km away where I used to live to buy and was turned down. I had just forgot about the ban and it was by chance my drinking night I had planned on. I had scotch on hand but only a couple of beers and wanted beer. The police had put the word out many times as to not cross the line or they will certainly face their wrath if caught and fines of 20,000 baht. The next time after that I was lucky to get a bunch of beer but it was realy covert and secretive. Unfortunatley had forgot abvout that one and it corresponded on yet another night I was planning to relax to some drinks.

Who knows now, but I would think it is not as harsh as before now that things are opening up here. In normal times it was no problem, but also for religious days here the powers that be are trying to force this back into Thai people's lives by making it relevant and telling them it is important. What I can say for my kids and family is that going to the temple and these holidays for making merrit are getting less important. Only birthdays that fall on days off we make a true effort.

7 minutes ago, Paulw said:

why would an alcohol ban be the top news, only in Thailand!!!

Only on foreign read sites.