News Forum - Alcohol ban in Pattaya and Bangkok from 6pm Saturday

Thaiger

We know you just can’t get enough of Thailand’s alcohol bans, so here’s another one coming up tonight for you in Pattaya and Bangkok! From 6pm tonight (Saturday) until 6pm tomorrow night, alcohol sales will be banned in Pattaya and Bangkok due to the Pattaya mayoral election, and the Bangkok governor election, both of which are tomorrow. Those who break the law risk six months in prison, a fine of up to 10,000 baht, or both. For the designated 24 hours, no alcohol can be purchased, sold, or distributed. While the ban will apply to all 50 districts of Bangkok, […]

The story Alcohol ban in Pattaya and Bangkok from 6pm Saturday as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I can walk 200 meters over the klong and will be in Samut Prakarn and get as much booze as I want.. ridiculous as usual. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Giltee said:

Only in Thailand. It’s ridiculous 

What's ridiculous is that farangs get upset by it.  It's not your country or your culture, so get over it. Can't you go one 24 hours without alcohol?  If you cannot, you need help. If its that important, that some people can't plan to buy their booze in advance.  I don't particularly wish to be argumentative, but the reaction posts on here so far strike me as  immature and rather  pathetic.   

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Nivram said:

Thais don't even follow their own laws.

- 3 on a motorbike

- no helmet

-no license

-no prostitution

so what?  What has that got anything at all to do with banning local alcohol sales for 24 hours during an election? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

What's ridiculous is that farangs get upset by it.  It's not your country or your culture, so get over it. Can't you go one 24 hours without alcohol?  If you cannot, you need help. If its that important, that some people can't plan to buy their booze in advance.  I don't particularly wish to be argumentative, but the reaction posts on here so far strike me as  immature and rather  pathetic.   

To be fair mate I don’t think it’s the loss of booze for 24 hours that’s the cause for complaint, not for me at least. What irks me about it is the total lack of logic or progressive thought. Where is the evidence to support a greater turn out of voters if the bars are closed and alcohol sales banned? What impact on the hospitality business; already ravaged by Covid restrictions, does a days closure cause (on top of the more understandable ban on religious days)? Why is it only Alcohol that is banned if the aim is to ensure more voter participation? Why don’t they just make voting a legal obligation? 

Once again, this just smacks of - This is how it’s always been done. Don’t question it. Don’t try to improve things. Don't justify it to anyone, even the Thai public. Don’t look for best practice around the world. Don't learn. Don’t change. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We know many Thais & Farang will break this law so what really is the reason for the ban. 

Its hard to get your head around these alcohol restrictions, what are they really suppose to achieve. It makes no difference to me but it just seems senseless!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Yes, it's their country, but I don't have a say about anything here, as I can't vote! I'm current jumping through the hoops to become a Thai citizen. I have been through this before in Australia, and here, the rules are convoluted and contradictory. Many of Thailand's regulations are outdated and defy logic. The issue is more significant than I want a drink.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daryle said:

but I don't have a say about anything here, as I can't vote

Why should you?  Unless you have PR, you are a very temporary resident here, for a maximum of your 12 month extension. Why should the Thais give you any say in the running of their country, why should they bother what you feel or think about their laws or their culture? And please don't quote the untruth that you are in any way a major part of their economy;. they can do without you.  Unless what is driving you is the all too common farang western arrogance. It's an old and well used saying, but still true; if you don't like it, then don't live here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pinetree said:

Why should you?  Unless you have PR, you are a very temporary resident  for a maximum of your 12 month extension. Why should the Thais give you any say in the running of their country, why should they bother what you feel or think about their laws or their culture? And please don't quote the untruth that you are in any way a major part of their economy;. they can do without you.  Unless what is driving you is the all too common farang western arrogance. It's an old and well used saying, but still true; if you don't like it, don't live here. 

Please read my post, don't selectively quote it. I'm currently in the middle of the PR process, as you call it. I doubt you can even speak Thai, never mind read it, so don't lecture me where I can live, you moran.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Daryle said:

Please read my post, don't selectively quote it. I'm currently in the middle of the PR process, as you call it. I doubt you can even speak Thai, never mind read it, so don't lecture me where I can live, you moran.

I did,  and you are not there yet, so equally, don't twist my views.  Why, if you feel the way you do about Thai living, laws and their application , are you going for PR?  Talk about inconsistency and frankly, more than a slight whiff of hypocrisy.  

I have lived here for a long time; only a complete moran would tell others to leave their home because they disagree with you. Next time you are in front of the mirror, give yourself a uppercut.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2022 at 10:44 AM, Pinetree said:

I don't particularly wish to be argumentative, but the reaction posts on here so far strike me as  immature and rather  pathetic.   

To be fair, the comments  prior to your comment or negative emoji are not bad at all. My comment of "ridiculous as usual" is just once again pointing to it is a ridiculous law that really serves no value or relevant point.

Been here over 30 years and have a wife and 3 kids all over 18 years old. Yes they are my children and I have raised them here. This makes me relevant here even if I do not have a PR or citizenship. They should make PR's easier for folk married over a certain amount of years or ones with kids. Not easy at all and they plainly do it this way to retard us from having it. 

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

Why should the Thais give you any say in the running of their country, why should they bother what you feel or think about their laws or their culture?

As to your comment about it is their country and their laws and their culture. Who runs this country and keeps a hard control by keeping it iron fisted and will never ever relinquish power? Does this represent the major majority of the Thai folk? Well since I am irrelevant in your eyes, let me tell you that my family and their extended brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins etc. to a huge point disagree with them and the far way too many things with their archaic idiotic laws here. Their culture, but even this only goes so far with them as they disagree that it should be brainwashed or rammed down their throats, but yes they will always be Thai in many ways and proud of it. Would love to cover some of the things but unfortuntately this reaches into taboo areas and even if a grey line is better to leave not adressed or mentioned.

For the record, there are many things I do not like about my own country, but even with that those things cannot be changed. But I wil ltalk aqbouyt them and my family has a right to talk about the USA and them as well because we have two worlds in my family.

So for me being relevant as am the husband and father to Thai here and not just a ninny know it all who got off an airplane on their first month or first year here saying I am now living in Thailand. Been around the block once or twice here and for the other fact of the matter have lived nearly half my life here and will certainly pass away here in my Thai home with my Thai family surrounding me.

No, the aclohol ban when in my area does not effect me as I will prepare prior for it unless forgot, but then again I only drinnk 1 -2 times a week. It is just a stupid moronic law that serves no purpose lke many others they have on the books.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Daryle said:

I have lived here for a long time; only a complete moran would tell others to leave their home because they disagree with you. Next time you are in front of the mirror, give yourself a uppercut.

That is not what  I said, but I don't suppose that I can expect you to understand, as I assume you are calling me an insulting name, but as you can't spell the word, I guess you are not going to be able to follow the post.   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I am irrelevant in your eyes,

Why do posters keep quoting my words out of context, or quoting words I never used,  or a number of other things people are wrongly interpreting. I guess one cannot expect anything else from a public forum as they are used as an outlet to moan and groan about things you can't change, that's social media all over.  I never said that you, and those like you, are irrelevant, you are supporting your family and that makes you very relevant, but not necessarily to the Thai government.

I am here in Thailand, or more exactly, living away from the UK, because I can't stand the UK, its environment, its laws, its weather, its infrastructure, even its people. so I stay away.  I left Hong Kong, where I used to live for similar reasons.   I cannot begin to understand people who sit on their ass and moan and groan about everything to do with Thailand and yet they stay here, year after year.   It's sometimes to the extent that it is almost the only way that they can post, ( I do not include you in this list by the way).  Maybe that is what a forum is for, to let off steam to people you don't know and will never meet. But to get wound up by a post to the extent of replying by insults and degrading comments is, at best, immature, which is what another poster that you quoted is doing. I will not reply to that person  in kind, as I am an adult. 

Oh dear. 

nounplural noun moran

A member of the warrior group of the Masai people of East Africa, which comprises the younger unmarried males. 'On this belt of a moran (initiated young man), the beadworker, probably the young man's mother, has masterfully played with the color combinations to create a beautiful design.

Edited by KaptainRob
Offensive quote removed
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

It's an old and well used saying, but still true; if you don't like it, then don't live here.

A bit harsh mate. If that’s the case we may as well get The Thaiger to close down this forum and all zip our mouth.

Observing things and commenting on them is the prerogative of us all. Just because we aren’t citizens of a country doesn’t mean we have no right to express opinions, comment or even complain. New ideas and opinions from outside of a working or social group are often the most fresh and helpful. The Thais could do well to occasionally open their ears and minds to some of them. Just my option of course. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

To be fair, the comments  prior to your comment or negative emoji are not bad at all. My comment of "ridiculous as usual" is just once again pointing to it is a ridiculous law that really serves no value or relevant point.

Been here over 30 years and have a wife and 3 kids all over 18 years old. Yes they are my children and I have raised them here. This makes me relevant here even if I do not have a PR or citizenship. They should make PR's easier for folk married over a certain amount of years or ones with kids. Not easy at all and they plainly do it this way to retard us from having it. 

As to your comment about it is their country and their laws and their culture. Who runs this country and keeps a hard control by keeping it iron fisted and will never ever relinquish power? Does this represent the major majority of the Thai folk? Well since I am irrelevant in your eyes, let me tell you that my family and their extended brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins etc. to a huge point disagree with them and the far way too many things with their archaic idiotic laws here. Their culture, but even this only goes so far with them as they disagree that it should be brainwashed or rammed down their throats, but yes they will always be Thai in many ways and proud of it. Would love to cover some of the things but unfortuntately this reaches into taboo areas and even if a grey line is better to leave not adressed or mentioned.

For the record, there are many things I do not like about my own country, but even with that those things cannot be changed. But I wil ltalk aqbouyt them and my family has a right to talk about the USA and them as well because we have two worlds in my family.

So for me being relevant as am the husband and father to Thai here and not just a ninny know it all who got off an airplane on their first month or first year here saying I am now living in Thailand. Been around the block once or twice here and for the other fact of the matter have lived nearly half my life here and will certainly pass away here in my Thai home with my Thai family surrounding me.

No, the aclohol ban when in my area does not effect me as I will prepare prior for it unless forgot, but then again I only drinnk 1 -2 times a week. It is just a stupid moronic law that serves no purpose lke many others they have on the books.

Spot on comments in every regard 👍🏻

I often hear people when you are attempting to have a sensible debate with use the same phrase - If you don’t like it why are you here. It totally misses the point and is just as intellectually ignorant as “You don’t understand” or “I’m wasting my time talking to you”.

On a thread a few weeks ago, a member informed me that if you are a foreign woman married to a Thai man, then things relating to visas and possibly PR are far easier. If that’s true then surely that’s the very definition of archaic and affects thousands. Surely we have a right to hold opinions and express them. As those laws are made my the politicians then surely we have a right to comment on them also.  

55 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Spot on comments in every regard 👍🏻

I often hear people when you are attempting to have a sensible debate with use the same phrase - If you don’t like it why are you here. It totally misses the point and is just as intellectually ignorant as “You don’t understand” or “I’m wasting my time talking to you”.

On a thread a few weeks ago, a member informed me that if you are a foreign woman married to a Thai man, then things relating to visas and possibly PR are far easier. If that’s true then surely that’s the very definition of archaic and affects thousands. Surely we have a right to hold opinions and express them. As those laws are made my the politicians then surely we have a right to comment on them also.  

Yeah it's not perfect here but I do call it home. Um, I mean Thailand and, and ok, we could say as for online forums here too becasue it is the only one I look at and paticipate in.

I wonder who that could be who mentioned the foreing women and citizenship or a PR if that's the route they go. 🙈🙉🙊 Unless it has changed, then it remains true.

I think everyone moans and groans sometimes, so as long as it isn't escessive and goes overbearing then big deal. we all need to sometimes get some monkey irk off our back.

Now back to the elections. Looks like some of the candidates in BKK were probably already stocked up and now well into their way to numb the loss by a landslide vote count. Namely Aswin whose arse-a-lost.

• Like 1