News Forum - Thailand News Today | Thailand to target “wealthy foreign tourists”

Thaiger

Thailand’s deputy health minister is hoping to see an end to Covid-19 by the end of this year, despite the risk of new variants. Satit Pitutecha made his prediction yesterday, saying Thailand is proceeding with its plan to declare the virus endemic.  The World Health Organisation has yet to make any recommendation on according the virus endemic status. Satit says the health ministry is doing everything possible to meet its target for administering booster doses, which should help prevent new variants from developing.  However, officials are closely watching what’s happening in North Korea, where there is a surge in […]

The story Thailand News Today | Thailand to target “wealthy foreign tourists” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Why do these people have to be superwealthy what about a digital nomad making say $2000 a month, its more than enough to live on. Seriously this wealthy tourist thing has been in the wind as long as I can remember and yet strangely it hasnt happened. Rich tourists are rich as they aren't stupid and as we know if you in the hilton your not actually contributing towards normal thai people are you .. will you pop out for grapow I doubt it when your eating your 10,000 baht banquet.

I see italy and other countries have got much more sensible digital nomad visas to repopulate villages ...im seriousy considering that in a couple of years. You get to help out a village and explore an interesting european culture. For thai governments its always about money, but not for the normal people who after covid need it more than them.

only rich tourist s under 75 can enter the insurance scam..Retired  over 75  if leave for any reason cannot get back in .Thailand enforces age discrimination and grants monopolies

19 hours ago, Soidog said:

Lots of Indians in Phuket apparently. Maybe it’s people like Noel Tata that are coming to Phuket? 

I guess those 4 Indians sharing one coke must be part of the super rich

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, alex12345 said:

Why do these people have to be superwealthy what about a digital nomad making say $2000 a month, its more than enough to live on. Seriously this wealthy tourist thing has been in the wind as long as I can remember and yet strangely it hasnt happened. Rich tourists are rich as they aren't stupid and as we know if you in the hilton your not actually contributing towards normal thai people are you .. will you pop out for grapow I doubt it when your eating your 10,000 baht banquet.

I see italy and other countries have got much more sensible digital nomad visas to repopulate villages ...im seriousy considering that in a couple of years. You get to help out a village and explore an interesting european culture. For thai governments its always about money, but not for the normal people who after covid need it more than them.

There  have been multiple economic analyses discussed in the past that show that the marginal subsistence type visitor contributes relatively little to the Thai economy compared to the big hotel visitor. Thailand collects tax on the wealthy visitors and it is the   large hotels and resorts that provide  higher wages, housing and benefits to workers compared to the small 1-2*  hotels. It is the wealthy  visitor who golfs, takes the expensive elephant rides and boat cruises. The satang pinching digital nomad living on  $2,000 a month is busy taking up a table at Starbucks for 3 hours to get some complimentary wifi.  Normal Thai people work in the big resorts. They also work at the F&B suppliers, the third party contractors for laundry and transportation all of whom  are required to maintain better quality standards than the typical cheap kabob stand. Big hotel chains have made a big difference in the quality of tourism  in Thailand. The Novotels, and Hiltons set driving standards for their resort drivers, they have cleanliness and behavior standards that have spread to other businesses. These branded resorts all have life and safety standards. I am less likely to die in a fire or be electrocuted in the shower at such a place than a cheap fan room in a resort city.

The Italian  village scheme is not comparable to Thailand  because Thailand does not have villages that aged out, that were located in earthquake ravaged zones and which were built for a different era. Thaialnd is a country which  has no problem  demolishing the obsolete and replacing with something new. In Italy, the laws require the decrepit village buildings to remain because of "historic" value.

Thailand has courage and smarts to pursue the higher end  visitor. There are fewer problems with them than with the marginal income visitor. 

WEALTHY - : )

that doesnt mean anything , it can easily mean for example -  STINGY  -

because many wealthy people share the same reason for their wealth - being tight as ... -

check out the un - popularity of chinese tourists in Thailand

and a lot of them are quite wealthy .... but they run around with their own rice cans and mama soups because they cry the whole night , after every single Baht they spend

another thing is that REAL wealthy people they dont really travel to Thailand and look for nice relaxing 5 star beach spots there , because there are places in the carabean , oceania maledives and seychelles which already caters for rich tourists at anything between 1 and 20 k USD a night

and there you ll have it all for yourself

Why would a wealthy tourist come to a country that disallows the fundamental human right of unfettered breathing without masks  in an endemic status? Screw that! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillO said:

Why would a wealthy tourist come to a country that disallows the fundamental human right of unfettered breathing without masks  in an endemic status? Screw that! 

I take it your not coming then.

Ok - next!! 😃