Another Footie Game? Well, maybe . . . just a feeler.

King Cotton

Hiya, Footie fans, @BigHewer, @Chaimai, @Faz, @Marble-eye, @snapdragon, @spicy_girland @Slacker77!

With our fab footie games both coming to a well-earned break this weekend and with, I feel, a downturn of interest in the LPS format, I was wondering if any of you gamesters may have ideas for starting a new game, hopefully to run alongside the FFFF game, if Faz is happy to continue running that.

Maybe yes, maybe no, but truth is KC’s been hatching a little game, called – would you believe? – GOALS! which has the win-win factor of (A) keeping everyone involved every week and (B) is very easy to play and also to manage; so easy in fact that I’d be happy to do it. Here’s how it works:-

Each game-week, I will post a template, simply listing all 20 PL clubs, as here . . .

Gameweek 38   Initials >  
Arsenal   goals >  
A Villa   goals >  
Brighton   goals >  
Brentford   goals >  
Burnley   goals >  
Chelsea   goals >  
C Palace   goals >  
Everton   goals >  
Leeds   goals >  
Leicester   goals >  
Liverpool   goals >  
Man City   goals >  
Man Utd   goals >  
Newcastle   goals >  
Norwich   goals >  
Southampton   goals >  
Tottenham   goals >  
Watford   goals >  
West Ham   goals >  
Wolves   goals >  

Predicted score        >  

. . . which players will copy and enter their predicted goal tally that each club will score, i.e. not a match result forecast but, instead, just a forecast of each club’s GOALS . . . hence the name of this super-fab game! The game is scored according to the number of goals correctly forecast, i.e. 1 point for 1 goal or 5 points for 5 goals, etc, based on the rationale that high-scoring games, besides being more exciting, are also more difficult to predict. Applying similar logic, nil-nil results, besides often being unexciting and more-easily predicted, will earn, as you’ve guessed, zero points!

Just to add that little extra buzz to GOALS!, we are asked to predict our GW score, based on the total of our anticipated correct forecasts, i.e. whilst the total of the 20 predicted scores is likely to be around 30, we can only seriously expect that maybe 30 to 40% of these will be correct and thus we would enter a predicted score of around 10 to 12, maybe more, maybe less. A correct score prediction would earn a ‘massive’ bonus of 5 huge points.

So . . . with my little game in mind, can I ask you to invest a little more footie game time by copying this post and entering your 20 predicted goal tallies, as applied to the coming Sunday’s final games of the season, along with your predicted score?

Cheers,

KC

Just a trial KC, but like this?

Arsenal   goals > 2  
A Villa   goals > 2  
Brighton   goals > 2  
Brentford   goals > 2  
Burnley   goals > 1  
Chelsea   goals > 3  
C Palace   goals > 1  
Everton   goals > 1  
Leeds   goals > 1  
Leicester   goals > 2  
Liverpool   goals > 3  
Man City   goals > 3  
Man Utd   goals > 2  
Newcastle   goals > 2  
Norwich   goals > 1  
Southampton   goals > 1  
Tottenham   goals > 2  
Watford   goals > 1  
West Ham   goals > 2  
Wolves   goals > 1  

Predicted score        > 35

Personally I like the competion element of last person standing, but I agree it could have been better supported. 

Does anyone else feel that this is turning a comp with a little bit of thought involved into total guesswork. 

But hey, what do I know and I'm a stickler for change, both the present comps have been run very well and in in the end I will go with the flow. 

• Cool 1

3 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Does anyone else feel that this is turning a comp with a little bit of thought involved into total guesswork. 

Very valid point, there, @Marble-eye, and one that caused me to doubt the lack of thought (and skill!) in 'GOALS!, as compared to either LPS, where the order of your selections was key, or FFFF, where the match result forecasting required more than a little thought . . . as evidenced by my lowsy scores!!

Lets see what other interest and/or views are forthcoming from our happy band of footie fans and thanks a bunch for your comment 🤔!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Faz said:

Just a trial KC, but like this?

Arsenal   goals > 2  
A Villa   goals > 2  
Brighton   goals > 2  
Brentford   goals > 2  
Burnley   goals > 1  
Chelsea   goals > 3  
C Palace   goals > 1  
Everton   goals > 1  
Leeds   goals > 1  
Leicester   goals > 2  
Liverpool   goals > 3  
Man City   goals > 3  
Man Utd   goals > 2  
Newcastle   goals > 2  
Norwich   goals > 1  
Southampton   goals > 1  
Tottenham   goals > 2  
Watford   goals > 1  
West Ham   goals > 2  
Wolves   goals > 1  

Predicted score        > 35

Thanks, @Fazand exactly 'like this' for the goal predictions, but I see you've entered your total goal predictions - 35 - for your predicted score, meaning that you expect all your predictions to be correct, whereas in the real world, sadly, predictions of this type would be likely to be within 30 to 40% correct, leading to a predicted score in the 10 to 14 region!

I'll  enter your goal tallies, as above, on my trial sheet, but would ask you to make a more modest predicted score!🙄

Cheers!

KC

More to follow.      

Here are my trial picks, KC:

Arsenal   goals > 2  
A Villa   goals > 2  
Brighton   goals > 2  
Brentford   goals > 2  
Burnley   goals > 2  
Chelsea   goals > 2  
C Palace   goals > 2  
Everton   goals > 2  
Leeds   goals > 2  
Leicester   goals > 2  
Liverpool   goals > 4  
Man City   goals > 4  
Man Utd   goals > 2  
Newcastle   goals > 2  
Norwich   goals > 2  
Southampton   goals > 2  
Tottenham   goals > 2  
Watford   goals > 2  
West Ham   goals > 2  
Wolves   goals > 2  

Predicted score        > 16

• Thanks 1

2 - Gunners
1 - Villa
2 - Seagulls
3 - Bees
1 - Clarets
4 - Chelsea
2 - Palace
1 - Toffees
1 - Leeds
4 - Foxes
3 - Reds
7 - City
1 - United
1 - Toon
1 - Canaries
1 - Saints
2 - Spurs
1 - Hornets
1 - Irons
1 - Wolves

Predicted score = 11 - this is the total tally of correct scores?!

OK! Now let me suggest something.

There are a couple of teams that I don't think will score on Sunday. But it is not worthwhile putting zero against them. The obvious thing would be to put one or two or three even, as ya get nout for '0'. What about giving a point for any correct goal forecast. No goals would then get '1' point but no more. A correct forecast of '1' would get '2', and a score of '7' (as in Man City on Sunday) would get '8'.

Anyway! Good idea KC.

I have a comp lined up also. I'm looking at a comp that involves every game but doesn't require weekly participation. More on this after the last round on Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

I'll  enter your goal tallies, as above, on my trial sheet, but would ask you to make a more modest predicted score!🙄

Cheers!

KC

Ahhhhh! Understood now KC.
I originally took as total goals scored rather than correct results.
Can you change that to 8 please.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, snapdragon said:

What about giving a point for any correct goal forecast. No goals would then get '1' point but no more. A correct forecast of '1' would get '2', and a score of '7' (as in Man City on Sunday) would get '8'.

Ha-ha! . . . a good ploy, there, Snappers! The alternative method of dealing with likely zeros would be to enter an unlikely goal tally, like 2 or 3 even, having seen what unlikely results we've been witnessing lately and knowing that you've a sporting chance of coming-up-trumps!

Looking forward to your new game idea, too and thanks for the feedback. Your entries are now on my trial sheet . . . thanks for those, too! 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Faz said:

I originally took as total goals scored rather than correct results.

Sorted and thanks!

Let's see what there is of real merit to GOALS!, after this Sunday's games, with a view to its appeal, or otherwise 🤔!

Arsenal 2      
A Villa 1      
Brighton 1      
Brentford 1      
Burnley 0      
Chelsea 3      
C Palace 0      
Everton 0      
Leeds 1      
Leicester 2      
Liverpool 3      
Man City 3      
Man Utd 1      
Newcastle 2      
Norwich 0      
Southampton 1      
Tottenham 3      
Watford 0      
West Ham 0      

Wolves 1

Predicted score = 12

Am I correct in thinking that by putting my scores from the ffff week 38 that is ok?

Thanks KC. 🙏⚽

• Cool 1

12 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Each game-week, I will post a template, simply listing all 20 PL clubs, as here . . .

Gameweek 38   Initials >  KC  
Arsenal   goals >   2  
A Villa   goals >   1  
Brighton   goals >   2  
Brentford   goals >   3  
Burnley   goals >   1  
Chelsea   goals >   4  
C Palace   goals >   2  
Everton   goals >   1  
Leeds   goals >   1  
Leicester   goals >   2  
Liverpool   goals >   2  
Man City   goals >   3  
Man Utd   goals >   3  
Newcastle   goals >   1  
Norwich   goals >   1  
Southampton   goals >   1  
Tottenham   goals >   3  
Watford   goals >   1  
West Ham   goals >   2  
Wolves   goals >   1  

Predicted score        > 13

Those are my punts. Let's see how they stack up, come Monday morn! 🤔

25 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Am I correct in thinking that by putting my scores from the ffff week 38 that is ok?

Okay, except for the likelihood that they'll be correct . . . again! 😒

But thanks for those, nonetheless! 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Faz said:

I originally took as total goals scored other than correct results.

That's not too bad an Idea Mr Faz. Two total scores; one for correct predictions, and one for total round scores.

Whatever KC decides is fine with me.

A few years ago I - with help from my secretary - devised a footy game for the lads, based on adding up the score every time there was a game. Not too far removed from 'footy pontoon', that was quite popular at the time. It was based on the '1's; 11, 21, 31, 41 etc

Quite well received but could have been better. Anyway, my secretary said she would have a saucy week-end away with the winner. It was a game changer. We went from 7 participants to over 100.

That game could even be attempted here. No secretary on hand though. But??!!

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, snapdragon said:

Quite well received but could have been better. Anyway, my secretary said she would have a saucy week-end away with the winner. It was a game changer. We went from 7 participants to over 100.

That game could even be attempted here.

A saucy weekend away with Snaps - what, no takers! 😶

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:
Arsenal 2      
A Villa 1      
Brighton 1      
Brentford 1      
Burnley 0      
Chelsea 3      
C Palace 0      
Everton 0      
Leeds 1      
Leicester 2      
Liverpool 3      
Man City 3      
Man Utd 1      
Newcastle 2      
Norwich 0      
Southampton 1      
Tottenham 3      
Watford 0      
West Ham 0      

Wolves 1

Predicted score = 12

Thanks KC. 🙏⚽

Except you score nil for a correct nil prediction as pointed out by Snaps.
So in reality, you only have 13 teams that could possibly score you points from those predictions. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arsenal 2      
A Villa 1      
Brighton 1      
Brentford 1      
Burnley 0      
Chelsea 3      
C Palace 0      
Everton 0      
Leeds 1      
Leicester 2      
Liverpool 3      
Man City 3      
Man Utd 1      
Newcastle 2      
Norwich 0      
Southampton 1      
Tottenham 3      
Watford 0      
West Ham 0      

Wolves 1

Predicted score = 12

Thanks KC. 🙏⚽

This is just a trial right, so can I change my zeros into ones please. If not a trial just leave it, ma ba lie.😃⚽

• Cool 1

13 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

This is just a trial right, so can I change my zeros into ones please. If not a trial just leave it, ma ba lie.😃⚽

No problem, there, @Marble-eye. Zeros (only 6 of 'em) now magically changed to ones and sorry for not spotting that weakness myself! 😏

• Like 1

Is this limited to the quoted posters or can anyone have a punt ??

I’d like to join, if only cos it might be the last time I get to predict a Leeds score 😕, anyhoo here’s my predictions :

Arsenal   goals > 1  
A Villa   goals > 2  
Brighton   goals > 2  
Brentford   goals > 1  
Burnley   goals > 1  
Chelsea   goals > 2  
C Palace   goals > 1  
Everton   goals > 1  
Leeds   goals > 2  
Leicester   goals > 2  
Liverpool   goals > 4  
Man City   goals > 4  
Man Utd   goals > 1  
Newcastle   goals > 2  
Norwich   goals > 1  
Southampton   goals > 1  
Tottenham   goals > 2  
Watford   goals > 1  
West Ham   goals > 3  
Wolves   goals > 1  

Predicted score. = 12

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I’d like to join, if only cos it might be the last time I get to predict a Leeds score 😕, anyhoo here’s my predictions :

Arsenal   goals > 1  
A Villa   goals > 2  
Brighton   goals > 2  
Brentford   goals > 1  
Burnley   goals > 1  
Chelsea   goals > 2  
C Palace   goals > 1  
Everton   goals > 1  
Leeds   goals > 2  
Leicester   goals > 2  
Liverpool   goals > 4  
Man City   goals > 4  
Man Utd   goals > 1  
Newcastle   goals > 2  
Norwich   goals > 1  
Southampton   goals > 1  
Tottenham   goals > 2  
Watford   goals > 1  
West Ham   goals > 3  
Wolves   goals > 1  

Predicted score. = 12

Just between you and myself, be warned, there is a lot of uncalled for animosity aimed at Leeds supporters on here. 😉⚽

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Just between you and myself, be warned, there is a lot of uncalled for animosity aimed at Leeds supporters on here. 😉⚽

Maybe 'cos they used to have the reputation for being the dirtiest team on the planet. Remember Revie's boys, Bremner, Hunter, Charlton? . . . they used to generate more than a little animosity . . . and a few bruised shins, too!! Enjoy this clip . . .

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/503416-world-football-ranking-the-top-five-dirtiest-teams-in-football-history

Well? Seriously, though, I've always had a soft spot for them, since my putty-making days . . . some great customers in Leeds 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Maybe 'cos they used to have the reputation for being the dirtiest team on the planet. Remember Revie's boys, Bremner, Hunter, Charlton? . . . they used to generate more than a little animosity . . . and a few bruised shins, too!! Enjoy this clip . . .

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/503416-world-football-ranking-the-top-five-dirtiest-teams-in-football-history

Well? Seriously, though, I've always had a soft spot for them, since my putty-making days . . . some great customers in Leeds 😉

You may be correct on their ability to play hard KC, yes hard but never dirty, wor Jackie wouldn't hurt a fly, although I do remember him saying in an interview that "I couldn't play football but I could stop them that could" 

I lived in Horsforth in Leeds in the 90s for a while and most of the great Leeds team of the 70s lived there in the 70s, infact Norman Hunter still lived their and more than likely lived there till his demise a couple of years ago. But some friends and I would go to the pub on a Thursday evening for the quiz. One of my friends had a son in his late teens and he went out with a beautiful young lady, well, Norman Hunter has a son too and she left my mates son to go out with Normans son, so maybe it does run in the family after all. 

I remember Gordon Strachan living in Scarcroft and David O'Leary living in South Harrogate. 

• Like 1

You may be correct on their ability to play hard KC, yes hard but never dirty, wor Jackie wouldn't hurt a fly, although I do remember him saying in an interview that "I couldn't play football but I could stop them that could" 

I lived in Horsforth in Leeds in the 90s for a while and most of the great Leeds team of the 70s lived there in the 70s, infact Norman Hunter still lived their and more than likely lived there till his demise a couple of years ago. But some friends and I would go to the pub on a Thursday evening for the quiz. One of my friends had a son in his late teens and he went out with a beautiful young lady, well, Norman Hunter has a son too and she left my mates son to go out with Normans son, so maybe it does run in the family after all. 

I remember Gordon Strachan living in Scarcroft and David O'Leary living in South Harrogate. 

Thanks for that lovely reminiscing, @Marble-eye . . . Ah, them were t' days, eh?

One day, maybe, we'll get chance to chat about such great memories, face-to-face, if my thoughts (perhaps slightly inebriated after an afternoon at the village café!) re a footie-fans post-season get-together might hold some feasibility . . . just my silly thoughts . . . again! 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Arsenal   goals > 1  
A Villa   goals > 2  
Brighton   goals > 2  
Brentford   goals > 1  
Burnley   goals > 1  
Chelsea   goals > 2  
C Palace   goals > 1  
Everton   goals > 1  
Leeds   goals > 2  
Leicester   goals > 2  
Liverpool   goals > 4  
Man City   goals > 4  
Man Utd   goals > 1  
Newcastle   goals > 2  
Norwich   goals > 1  
Southampton   goals > 1  
Tottenham   goals > 2  
Watford   goals > 1  
West Ham   goals > 3  
Wolves   goals > 1  

Predicted score. = 12

Sorry, @DwizzleyMatthews, just returned from the most wonderful Isan experience of an afternoon's subdued beer-swilling at the village café - truly, a café to die for! - but now, having had the lovely surprise of your new game interest, your GOALS! predictions are now recorded.

Thanks for that! 🤗

Cheers!

KC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1