News Forum - 22 year old Australian found dead at hotel in Phuket

Thaiger

An Australian traveller plunged to his death after falling from an 11th storey hotel room at The Royal Paradise Resort Hotel and Spa, in Patong district of Phuket. The body of the lifeless man, identified as Billy James Simmons, was found on the footpath below his room, lying face up. The 22 year old’s body was discovered by the hotel’s security guard on Monday evening two hours shy of midnight. Local police confirmed there was no evidence of any confrontation or a fight after an investigation and added the case will remain open. Simmons was backpacking with a group of […]

The story 22 year old Australian found dead at hotel in Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Maybe it's time that Thailand enforces something like nets around every building. It seems like it's just normal for foreigners to come here and die from falling off a balcony or out of a window. 

I wonder if this also happens in other countries so often.... Traveller/foreigner arrives, falls out of a building. It's so common here that it's normal. But it seems like I've never heard any such stories about other countries. 

• Like 1

Alcohol likely played a part but I also blame the hotel and building contractors 

stayed in a number of hotels in recent months and no longer step outside on the balcony’s  as the railings outside are not designed for people above 4’10” in height 

I really don’t understand how they pass safety inspections 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Maybe it's time that Thailand enforces something like nets around every building. It seems like it's just normal for foreigners to come here and die from falling off a balcony or out of a window. 

I wonder if this also happens in other countries so often.... Traveller/foreigner arrives, falls out of a building. It's so common here that it's normal. But it seems like I've never heard any such stories about other countries. 

I used to live on the Gold Coast in Queensland Australia and people often drunk or drug effected often fell from high rise accommodation there all year round. It was quite common. 

• Like 1