News Forum - Mixed fortunes for Thai Airways but nation’s flag carrier confident of financial take off

Thaiger

Financial figures released yesterday by Thai Airways International revealed mixed fortunes for the Bangkok-based airline. Thailand’s flag carrier airline declared a net loss of nearly 3.4 billion baht on revenue of 11.2 billion baht in Q1, an improvement on the 11.2 billion baht net loss from the same period last year, but on the positive side the company also noted a 155 per cent year on year increase. Thai Airways’s financial report unveiled operational revenue had increased by 6.8 billion baht compared to the same period last year. On the down side expenditure of 14.4 billion baht increased, up 3 […]

The story Mixed fortunes for Thai Airways but nation’s flag carrier confident of financial take off as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I needed a good laugh this morning: “popular programmes such as the Thai Pass”.

Thaiger: All the news fit to copy and paste. 😁

But the company bounced back from that setback a year later returning a net profit of 55.1 billion baht. It was Thai Airways’s first net profit in five years following a company overhaul of its infrastructure.

Creative accounting in the 2021 financial returns surely included asset sales and 'savings' through redundancies.  Can Thai ever recover?

• Thanks 1

I think you should say something about thousand of people who are waiting refunds from Thay Airways since 2020. They, literally, stole our money and theay are saying refund will arrive probably in 2024.

Check Facebook group Thay Airways Refund group.

Thanks

• Like 1

Ah, see, that's how bankruptcy, receivership etc. works. The creditor gets nowt except if he's 'preferred', normally government. Painful but true.

Thai Airways used to be my favourite airline and my first choice for direct flights from London to Bangkok.  I loved the 380, the smiling cabin crew and the excellent service.  With the restrictions now lifted I was looking at returning to Thailand but was disappointed to find flight prices from August (normally cheap) onwards had doubled from what I used to pay.  I'm now looking at indirect flights with other airlines to save money.

24 minutes ago, Nick said:

I'm now looking at indirect flights with other airlines to save money.

Should be plenty of choice via Arab states though I'd suggest Turkish, they're surprisingly good!

With Thailand taking a “neutral” stance in the Russia-Ukraine conflict,   why can’t Thailand buy cheap oil from Russia to alleviate the rising fuel costs.