News Forum - Thai aviation industry says international flights at only 20% of pre-pandemic level

Thaiger

The Thai Airlines Association says that in the first 4 months of this year, domestic flights have returned to nearly 100% of their pre-pandemic level. However, international flights have still only reached 20% of pre-Covid-19 levels. TAA president, Putthiphong Prasatthong-Osot, says the lifting of some travel restrictions has led to an increase in passenger numbers, but adds that it will take years for the aviation industry to return to pre-pandemic levels. “We expect airlines to restore more domestic routes and also new routes to tourist destinations in the remaining 8 months of the year. This is more likely to happen […]

The story Thai aviation industry says international flights at only 20% of pre-pandemic level as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

However, international passengers are still required to go through the Thailand Pass registration process

And the visa, Tm6, Tm30,  90d report... where you write the exact same information over and over and over again.

• Like 1

We have been watching for months hoping for a change in policy- and truthfully, we will not return to Thailand until the Thailand Pass as well as masking is done away with. We follow the rules of every country we visit but spending money to fly from the USA to go backwards into the masking rules ( and in that heat!) just isn’t my idea of a nice time- Europe is over it, the USA is over it, it’s time for Asia to be over it.

• Like 6

I am hoping/beginning to plan to visit Thailand towards the end of June.  I am waiting and watching to see if the Thailand Pass is dropped as that is the most painful part of booking to go to Thailand.

As for wearing masks the people whining about masks are probably the same people that whined about it when it was first introduced (we all know who those types are).  Mask wearing is common in Asia, pre-Covid.  If mask wearing is the maximum inconvenience to be able to go on holiday again, then it is a small sacrifice to make.

Whiners need to quit their whining and either stay in their highly infected countries and wait another year or two before flying again or count their blessings and begin to enjoy international holidays again.

5 minutes ago, Sharky99x said:

I am hoping/beginning to plan to visit Thailand towards the end of June.  I am waiting and watching to see if the Thailand Pass is dropped as that is the most painful part of booking to go to Thailand.

As for wearing masks the people whining about masks are probably the same people that whined about it when it was first introduced (we all know who those types are).  Mask wearing is common in Asia, pre-Covid.  If mask wearing is the maximum inconvenience to be able to go on holiday again, then it is a small sacrifice to make.

Whiners need to quit their whining and either stay in their highly infected countries and wait another year or two before flying again or count their blessings and begin to enjoy international holidays again.

Nothing is stopping you from wearing a mask if you want to. As @Sharky99x points out, no one wants to go on a vacation to a place with more restrictions than their home.

Singapore South Korea Malaysia Indonesia Cambodia have all ditched outdoor masks. why hasn’t Thailand?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sharky99x said:

Mask wearing is common in Asia, pre-Covid.  If mask wearing is the maximum inconvenience to be able to go on holiday again, then it is a small sacrifice to make.

No, this is simply not true.

Mask wearing was never common in Asia pre Covid.

Countries like Japan had some in limited settings during flu season on trains and when people were sick.

It was very rare to see anyone wearing a mask in Thailand before 2020. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rc1 said:

Countries like Japan had some in limited settings during flu season on trains and when people were sick.

That's a sweeping statement for a quarter of the planet.

Now I understand why flights to Thailand are triple the cost from  pre pandemic. I’m waiting until they do away with the face diaper and more flights are added from carriers like United Airlines. 
Asia will continue to see economic contraction until all restrictions are lifted. Places like Japan 🇯🇵 are hamstrung from the epic fear of Covid . The unwashed masses will not be welcome @ Narita from many moons at this rate. The world has learned what countries welcome international travelers and which ones are shunning them ……

11 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

And the visa, Tm6, Tm30,  90d report... where you write the exact same information over and over and over again.

Yep was at Immig today----filled out paperwork that seems to grow each visit

was told come back tomorrow--as last 2x as well

then tomorrow will be told come back in 15 days for 2nd half of ext......the thai shuffle--3s a charm......smh

But But TAT said...........and who cares--who are these articles for---the every changing magic #s......sigh....

On the contrary Sharkey, I am a E.R. nurse and not at all a Mask Whiner, when warranted- but outdoors it is NEVER warranted- and indoors, really it isn't much help unless we are all wearing FITTED N95 masks- otherwise, its just pretend- if you want to wear a full N95, you can and it will provide you some protection, just don't expect too many people to pay thousands of dollars to support a place still masking. In the past 19 months  I have been to Greece 7 times and Spain twice, Costa Rica three times, Belize, Portugal and  Finland- none of these places are masking except for crowded indoor venues and I am happy to follow rules- just not silly rules.

I love Thailand and can't wait to return- I was hoping for June- but waiting for the silly rules to end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Poolie said:

So was the comment that it was common ore-pandemic. 

6 hours ago, Poolie said:

It's true.

This narrative that masks were common in Asia pre pandemic is false. Yes, rarely worn in some settings and countries but common, no.

In Thailand, masks hardly ever seen pre 2020. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 12:35 PM, rc1 said:

Not sure how much you travelled in Asia outside of Thailand, but I happened to be a regular traveler across the region and certainly on public transport in HK, SG, KR, JP, VN and it was not uncommon to see travelers wearing masks, and in Beijing partly due to pollution it was common everywhere. This was all post SARS, and I had no issue with it, and will personally continue to do so, as people don’t observe personal hygiene anymore and cover their mouths when coughing or sneezing - what happened to handkerchiefs ? Remember holidays, can be spoiled by Infuenza and Colds due to lack of respect for others.......

• Like 1