News Forum - Flooding in Bangkok after 10 hours of torrential rain

Thaiger

Bangkok has flooded in many areas after 10 hours of torrential rain beginning at 3pm yesterday and continuing into the early hours of this morning, according to the Department of Drainage and Sewage. The most affected areas are Chatuchak, Lak Si, Don Mueang and Lat Phrao. In some places, the water level has reached higher than 1 metre. The floods caused traffic jams this morning, namely at Ratchayothin Intersection and Ratchadapisek – Lat Phrao Intersection. Now, the roads are starting to return to normal. However, some sections of the roads may still be flooded, so bear this in mind if […]

The story Flooding in Bangkok after 10 hours of torrential rain as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

thank buddha climate change doesnt exist!!!!

waterfront property for sale in BKK!!!!  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Well it might be because the rain is laughing and getting in a last minute water siege before the new governor who is elected that promised to tackle the flooding. 

I thought they had fixed this flooding problem in 2010. Or was it 2011?  Maybe I’m mistaken and read it was to be fixed in 2012 or 2013? Maybe the coup meant it would be fixed in 2014 or 2015. Problems may have delayed it until 2016, 2017 or 2018? It’s possible it would be 2019 and then Covid delayed it until 2020 or 2021. Anyway, I’m sure it will be fixed this year. The government know what they are doing! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

I thought they had fixed this flooding problem in 2010. Or was it 2011?  Maybe I’m mistaken and read it was to be fixed in 2012 or 2013? Maybe the coup meant it would be fixed in 2014 or 2015. Problems may have delayed it until 2016, 2017 or 2018? It’s possible it would be 2019 and then Covid delayed it until 2020 or 2021. Anyway, I’m sure it will be fixed this year. The government know what they are doing! 

Someone forgot to turn the pumps on one year.  And the Lat Phrao drainage system frequently clogs with rubbish and debris.  Even then, it's only shifting the water to the Chao Phraya and may exacerbate flooding elsewhere.  Other, similar flood mitigation works are still under construction.

Part of Bangkok's problem is due to it's low proximity to sea-level, with many parts actually below the high water mark especially storm surges.  This requires water to pumped up hill as it cannot drain naturally. 

2011 article here > https://www.tunneltalk.com/Bangkok-Thailand-Dec11-Floods-bring-forward-major-mitigation-plans.php

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Someone forgot to turn the pumps on one year.  And the Lat Phrao drainage system frequently clogs with rubbish and debris.  Even then, it's only shifting the water to the Chao Phraya and may exacerbate flooding elsewhere.  Other, similar flood mitigation works are still under construction.

Part of Bangkok's problem is due to it's low proximity to sea-level, with many parts actually below the high water mark especially storm surges.  This requires water to pumped up hill as it cannot drain naturally. 

2011 article here > https://www.tunneltalk.com/Bangkok-Thailand-Dec11-Floods-bring-forward-major-mitigation-plans.php

An interesting article. They have installed a similar road and water tunnel system in Kuala Lumpur some years ago to ease the flooding in the city. To my knowledge it has been highly successful.