Earliest date you can request for visa extension of stay

technicals1832

Hey all, have a question - if you are on a tourist visa (60 days) - when is the earliest date you can request for a 30 day visa extension (TM7)? 

Currently residing in Bangkok. Was wondering when was the earliest I could do so to get it over and done with.

Any help on this would be much appreciated!

16 hours ago, cockneyboy said:

about 7 days

dunno where you got that b/s answer but it sounds like you are in Pattaya

technicals1832
the actual answer is
In Bangkok you can apply for a new extension of stay when you have 45 days or less left on your current stamp <- that means IF you showed up on a 30 day visa exempt you could have went to the immigration office the day you landed and gotten the 30 day extension
Most other offices are 30 days or less before your stamp expires 
BUT
The Jomtien office down in Pattaya tells people to show up when they have a week or less left 

You don't lose any time applying for the extension early as it's added to the current expiration date you have now.

6 hours ago, Tod-Daniels said:

dunno where you got that b/s answer but it sounds like you are in Pattaya

technicals1832
the actual answer is
In Bangkok you can apply for a new extension of stay when you have 45 days or less left on your current stamp <- that means IF you showed up on a 30 day visa exempt you could have went to the immigration office the day you landed and gotten the 30 day extension
Most other offices are 30 days or less before your stamp expires 
BUT
The Jomtien office down in Pattaya tells people to show up when they have a week or less left 

You don't lose any time applying for the extension early as it's added to the current expiration date you have now.

show me a post where someone achieved this, from any source

15 hours ago, cockneyboy said:

show me a post where someone achieved this, from any source

sorry, you have me confused with someone else.
I don't have to justify my answers to you but I will humor you and show you my extension from this year

In Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Buriram and a few other places you can apply for an extension when you have 45 days or less left on your current one. 
Most other offices are 30 days or less, and ONE <- Jomtien tells people to come back when they have a week or less. 

That you don't believe it doesn't mean it's NOT true, 

Here's an extension I got based on retirement at Chaengwattana this year, My yearly extension was going to expire on April 5th (like it has for the last 12 years now) and I applied for a new yearly extension on Feb 22 that's FORTY TWO days before the extension expires and they added my year onto the old expiration date

The only time that they won't add another extension on to an existing expiration date is IF you are changing reasons for your extension (tourism to covid, marriage to retirement, etc) then it starts the day you apply.

42.jpg

• Cool 1

8 hours ago, Tod-Daniels said:

I don't have to justify my answers to you but I will humor you and show you my extension from this year

Rather harsh reply, Tod.
You've provided an example of applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on retirement, which you can apply for up to 45 days early at CW.

The OP asked about a 30-day extension from a Tourist Visa.
@cockneyboy replied 7 days, to which you seem to have taken issue with.

There are enough reports circulating on other forums with reports of applicants applying for a 30-day extension at CW being told to come back within 7 or 14 days before their current permission of stay expires.
This may be down to an individual officer, but I suspect @cockneyboy answered from his own experience at CW. 

8 hours ago, Tod-Daniels said:

In Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Buriram and a few other places you can apply for an extension when you have 45 days or less left on your current one. 
Most other offices are 30 days or less, and ONE <- Jomtien tells people to come back when they have a week or less. 

That you don't believe it doesn't mean it's NOT true, 

Here's an extension I got based on retirement at Chaengwattana this year, My yearly extension was going to expire on April 5th (like it has for the last 12 years now) and I applied for a new yearly extension on Feb 22 that's FORTY TWO days before the extension expires and they added my year onto the old expiration date

The only time that they won't add another extension on to an existing expiration date is IF you are changing reasons for your extension (tourism to covid, marriage to retirement, etc) then it starts the day you apply.

42.jpg

a smug answer, but not a tourist visa entry, 

12 hours ago, cockneyboy said:

a smug answer, but not a tourist visa entry, 

I'm not trying to be your friend, I'm trying to disseminate accurate information, so give it a rest,

All I'm doing is telling you how it works
In Bangkok OR Chiang Mai you could fly in on a 30 day visa exempt, stamp in and immediately go to the immigration office to get a 30 day extension for 1900baht or fly in on a 60 day tourist visa wait 2 weeks and then go apply when you have 45 days or less left on your entry stamp and the new extension will be added to your current stamp.

And one last time AFAIK; ONLY that backwater immigration office down in Jomtien tells people to come back when they have a week or less left on their current stamp

Edited by Tod-Daniels
  • Thanks 1