News Forum - Studies show Omicron infection in vaccinated people “turbo-charges” immunity

Thaiger

2 hours ago, Manu said:

I guess you are both in the older age? Am I right? I find it amazing that although triple vaccinated, you still get as you describe "a very nasty flu"? But less if you are in the older age as it is this group that suffers and still will suffer from covid. And that leads to say that those vaccines are not very efficient, saving some lives sure (which is great obviously) but not offering much protection against the disease and quasi 0 immunity. Vaccines as for everything else, some are good, some not so much.

I got my 2nd dose of Astra Zeneca on 26 September last year. According to the UK vaccine surveillance report dated March 10 this year on vaccine effectiveness...

Sourcehttps://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1060787/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_10.pdf

End of February (22 weeks after my second dose) I caught Omicron here in Thailand (there came my natural boost as I was not prepared to get another vaccine anyway). I would describe it as an average cold, certainly not a very nasty flu (I think most people do not know what the flu is and mixing up with the cold). Fever one night, sniffy nose and headaches for 3 days and tired for a week, that's it. A friend of mine got it at the same time, exact same symptoms, roughly same age and health as me... he is not vaccinated for covid. Dozens where I live had it between January and end of March, some with similar symptoms, some just tested positive but nothing, some had symptoms but never tested themselves but with so many around being positive, it was kind of obvious most of them had it too.

I know it is hard for some, but this pandemic is over. It is time to stop taking any notice of all these articles saying this and that, about scientific studies that we are not qualify to read and understand in the first place. Nor to understand who make these studies, if they have conflict of interests or not. Simply look what is happening around you and make your own opinion based on this, and then simply use your individual common sense. Well as we have always done since the beggining of humanity...

Omicron is far less serious than the delta variant. Those vaccines protected you from delta.

Be grateful.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cg66 said:

The USA has a history of commissioning a study to produce a result already predetermined. Moving goalposts with the aim of milking more money out of this

There is a whole branch of mathematics dedicated to this, it is called statistics. It is not just the US - more than once I have witnessed qualified statisticians (often qualified to MSc and PhD level) deliberately come up with the "desired" but obviously wrong result.   

Just read one of those studies (*). It's quite heavy, but here's my attempt to condense it into 2 sentences (no disrespect meant to the authors):

• An Omicron-infection does a better job at fending of some Covid-variants (5 were considered) than the vaccine does.
  • A combination of the two is measurably (albeit not by a whole lot) better than just one of them.

That's by no means surprising and the logical conclusion is that that getting vaccinated (first) and then contracting Omicron (next) is most effective. The key question (left unanswered) is whether or not it is worthwhile to have a vaccine tailored for Omicron. My (very tentative) guess is that it's not.

(*) https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.05.08.491108v1.full.pdf

20 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

There is a whole branch of mathematics dedicated to this, it is called statistics. It is not just the US - more than once I have witnessed qualified statisticians (often qualified to MSc and PhD level) deliberately come up with the "desired" but obviously wrong result.   

'Statistics' is just a mathematical,  academic  form of institutionalized, delusional lying; intended to convince yourself and the rest of the gullible world, of something that is probably not true, but might be true, was true  at a moment in time,  but impossible to actually verify, and doesn't matter anyway.  

5 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

'Statistics' is just a mathematical,  academic  form of institutionalized, delusional lying; intended to convince yourself and the rest of the gullible world, of something that is probably not true, but might be true, was true  at a moment in time,  but impossible to actually verify, and doesn't matter anyway.  

The sun has risen every day for as long as I can remember (and even longer without exception according to what I read). Applying Bayesian inference, am I wrong to suppose it'll rise tomorrow morning, or am I just being a delusional academic who is gullible enough to believe the falsehoods that the matrix supplies?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Thats what the evidence shows. You remember evidence? Its what people show to prove something.

Evidence... Yeah... never heard of industry manipulated studies? Get up to speed bro. A lot money is at stake... Studies are bought and paid for. Don't be naive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Transam said:

You're not....?  🤔

You are? Don't ask irrelevant, stupid questions that have no bearing on the issue at hand. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Evidence... Yeah... never heard of industry manipulated studies? Get up to speed bro. A lot money is at stake... Studies are bought and paid for. Don't be naive. 

Ever heard of pure fanciful conspiracy theories for the gullible? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

am I wrong to suppose it'll rise tomorrow morning,

There is no guarantee that you, me, or anyone else will actually  wake up in any one morning, even if the sun does,  There are probably statistics that work out those odds, but that statistic, however well researched, guarantees nothing.  . 

Statistics are not about guarantees.

The statstical odds are very, very high that I will wake up tomorrow morning, wanna place a bet against it to prove that illogical, manipulated pseudo-science wrong? 😆

22 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

My first (of many) first-hand experience of this was way back in the seventies, fresh out of college and working in a lab sponsored by the leather manufacturing industry. It was a footwear trial, comparing a high quality synthetic leather with real leather - everyone taking part and actually wearing the shoes felt that the synthetic was more comfortable, but that was the wrong result since it was the leather industry that was footing the bill, so they just played with the numbers and used a statistical method that came up with the "right" result.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

There is no guarantee that you, me, or anyone else will actually  wake up in any one morning, even if the sun does,  There are probably statistics that work out those odds, but that statistic, however well researched, guarantees nothing.  . 

And the utterly bereft of factual evidence banded about by covid conspiracy theorists?

What would the statistics say about them? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

My first (of many) first-hand experience of this was way back in the seventies, fresh out of college and working in a lab sponsored by the leather manufacturing industry. It was a footwear trial, comparing a high quality synthetic leather with real leather - everyone taking part and actually wearing the shoes felt that the synthetic was more comfortable, but that was the wrong result since it was the leather industry that was footing the bill, so they just played with the numbers and used a statistical method that came up with the "right" result.

Yes I'm sure that anecdotal evidence holds true when it comes to world pandemics as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

We did. I have to ask did you? You are claiming this article is somehow wrong but providing no evidence to prove that.

What? 😂😂😂

I give up here. It's only useful to discuss if you fully understand each other. 

I have no idea what you are talking about. You need to link this.

Because you don't accept anyone else's point of view mate. You can go to his IG and check out the video. That's the official video. Much different than the one presented by the news. 

No they didn't. You could still walk in the park just not with others. You could still buy vitamins (vitamin D is advisable in the northern hemisphere during winter by most national health boards).

You are not from BKK are you? Parks were closed here and all national parks as well. Stop spreading misinformation lol. 

You can buy vitamins yes. But no one is telling us to stay healthy with it. Only vax vax vax, gel gel gel and mask mask mask. 

Covid is fake.

Covid is caused by 5G transmitters.

The vaccine has a microchip in it.

Lol, you really grab these and dare to put it with my claims? No one actually believes those unless you're completely cuckoo. That's really a cheap way to win your argument.

If you speak the complete truth, why you so afraid of someone saying something else? 😂

I just started out with a message that a certain one or two people were literally going after me on The Thaiger, saying that I was wrong, while this article now is proving them wrong. 

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Ever heard of pure fanciful conspiracy theories for the gullible? 

Everything I disagree with is conspiracy and everyone I disagree with doing something is literally Hitler and whoever doesn't believe me is a nazi, racist, sexist or something like that. 

Rip independent thinking

6 hours ago, Manu said:

I guess you are both in the older age? Am I right? I find it amazing that although triple vaccinated, you still get as you describe "a very nasty flu"? But less if you are in the older age as it is this group that suffers and still will suffer from covid. And that leads to say that those vaccines are not very efficient, saving some lives sure (which is great obviously) but not offering much protection against the disease and quasi 0 immunity. Vaccines as for everything else, some are good, some not so much.

I got my 2nd dose of Astra Zeneca on 26 September last year. According to the UK vaccine surveillance report dated March 10 this year on vaccine effectiveness...

Sourcehttps://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1060787/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_10.pdf

End of February (22 weeks after my second dose) I caught Omicron here in Thailand (there came my natural boost as I was not prepared to get another vaccine anyway). I would describe it as an average cold, certainly not a very nasty flu (I think most people do not know what the flu is and mixing up with the cold). Fever one night, sniffy nose and headaches for 3 days and tired for a week, that's it. A friend of mine got it at the same time, exact same symptoms, roughly same age and health as me... he is not vaccinated for covid. Dozens where I live had it between January and end of March, some with similar symptoms, some just tested positive but nothing, some had symptoms but never tested themselves but with so many around being positive, it was kind of obvious most of them had it too.

I know it is hard for some, but this pandemic is over. It is time to stop taking any notice of all these articles saying this and that, about scientific studies that we are not qualify to read and understand in the first place. Nor to understand who make these studies, if they have conflict of interests or not. Simply look what is happening around you and make your own opinion based on this, and then simply use your individual common sense. Well as we have always done since the beggining of humanity...

Yes, me 61, my wife only a few years younger. I have a few preconditions, and still I did not downplay the effects of my infection. There is a feeling of exhaustion after the infection, so even about 7-10 days after testing negative I occasionally felt weak. When the infection hit me, I didn't feel strong, but still managed to work from home.

All in all my personal experience with Omikron was therefore not too bad. This said, others may experience much worse, but from what I heard from my (younger) colleagues they all encountered similar effects or were even without any symptoms.

• Like 1

I got my first round of covid in January 2020.

Yes it was just like a mild flu. Then I got my second dose in March 2020. That was like a kick in the nuts. Then I started all the vaccination programmes.

I had my booster shot in December 2021.

In March this year, 2022, I got my third infection of covid. That was like a never ending smash in the chest with a sledge hammer, non stop.

So yes anti vaxers, it is like a mild flu and we should stop complaining. When you get your second dose you will want to die. With the third dose you will know you are dying...slowly.

So it is up to you how you want to interpret the covid infection.

This is my own experience.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

What? 😂😂😂

I give up here. It's only useful to discuss if you fully understand each other. 

😂😂😂

9 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Because you don't accept anyone else's point of view mate. You can go to his IG and check out the video. That's the official video. Much different than the one presented by the news.

Why would I give his site any traffic? He is a liar and a fool. 😂😂😂

10 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

You are not from BKK are you? Parks were closed here and all national parks as well. Stop spreading misinformation lol. 

You can buy vitamins yes. But no one is telling us to stay healthy with it. Only vax vax vax, gel gel gel and mask mask mask.

No I am not in Bangkok. I dont want to breath diesel fumes all day. So you can still buy vitamins, round here you can still walk in the park. So just because in your tiny little part of the world is different to most other places it means you are the one spreading misinformation lol. 😂😂😂

14 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Lol, you really grab these and dare to put it with my claims? No one actually believes those unless you're completely cuckoo. That's really a cheap way to win your argument.

If you speak the complete truth, why you so afraid of someone saying something else? 😂

I just started out with a message that a certain one or two people were literally going after me on The Thaiger, saying that I was wrong, while this article now is proving them wrong.

But those cuckoo ideas are from you conspiracy theorists. 😂😂😂

Why are you so afraid of the truth?😂😂😂

If you believe the article is wrong then provide evidence as to why it is. 😂😂😂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:
2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Why would I give his site any traffic? He is a liar and a fool. 😂😂😂

Wow, great argument. You should follow some of his conversations. Would be good for you. You might learn to come up with a good argument for example. 

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

No I am not in Bangkok.

Then stop spreading misinformation about things you don't know. 

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

So you can still buy vitamins

Didn't say you couldn't. Only noted that it's was not recommended during covid by anyone, while it should have been noted that vitamins are essential for a good health. Many people lack them. 

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

But those cuckoo ideas are from you conspiracy theorists. 😂😂😂

You push me into a wrong corner. Maybe the moderator can take a look at this, because it offends me😂 Why would I be a conspiracy theorist AND take the vaccine? Think.... Just think.... Think for yourself.... You can actually do it, you know. 

7 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Why are you so afraid of the truth?😂😂😂

Good comeback... 

8 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

If you believe the article is wrong then provide evidence as to why it is. 😂😂😂

If you believe I have ever said that it's wrong, then provide evidence as to why that is. You completely misunderstood something I guess. I've never said that this article is wrong anywhere. In fact, I've said that this article is actually right. 

Jesus, why are you even going after me? Lot of free time left? 😂

2 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Jesus, why are you even going after me? Lot of free time left? 😂

Because you talk shite. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rookiescot said:

Because you talk shite. 😂

Again, great argument mate. So far, I've been providing the arguments here and you won't even try to understand it, while if you put your bias aside, it's understandable even for you. 

+ even if you always want to disagree with me somehow, and even if it's 2022, to understand doesn't mean to agree with someone. It sounds really weird to you maybe, but if you think about it, it's true. 

Now, come on, where's your proof of me saying the things you claimed me to say? 

And come on, tell me how can I be vaccinated AND a conspiracy theorist believing there is a chip in the vaccine and it will kill me or whatever bs they believe? Come on? 

From Mr. Where is the proof, you might expect some proof on this one, isn't it? 

Or maybe you're the one talking bs here. Seen the response of only this sentence shows enough. 

7 hours ago, Transam said:

Stop reading articles like your post, words written by your medical qualifications in what.... ...?

The jab does NOT stop you getting Covid, it helps you survive it, that is the point of having the jab.🥴

Perhaps you were lax in Covid prevention, because you are so fit, eh.  🤭  

Poor you…

• Haha 1