News Forum - Studies show Omicron infection in vaccinated people “turbo-charges” immunity

Thaiger

Contracting the Omicron variant while fully vaccinated could boost your immunity to the extent that it can fight off a variety of coronavirus variants, according to new research. The findings were revealed in 2 US studies from the University of Washington and from vaccine producer BioNTech. If backed up by real-world data, this could be a sign that millions of vaccinated people who contracted the Omicron variant are unlikely to become seriously ill from another Covid-19 variant soon. The studies examined blood samples from people who’d had Covid and then received 2 or 3 vaccine doses. They also looked at […]

The story Studies show Omicron infection in vaccinated people “turbo-charges” immunity as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Cha ching Cha ching !

Discussions are now taking place about the possibility of updating vaccines to target Omicron. According to the team at BioNTech, it may be better to offer people a booster specifically aimed at fighting Omicron, instead of continuing with the original vaccines.

I have seen many studies that also show those that haven't been vaccinated and got Omicron, also have immunity against variants.  

27 minutes ago, Perros said:

I have seen many studies that also show those that haven't been vaccinated and got Omicron, also have immunity against variants.  

Or not depending on the study you read. Like this one indicating the protection may not be as good as thought.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2201607

The reality is that this is something we all are making choices on how we live with it and researchers are investigating for hopefully greater long term understanding, along with the development of better vaccines, medications and treatments.

All should be studied the same way and not subject to the ridiculous social media chat or the often politically biased media discussions we saw in the past. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

What I suspected all along. Omicron itself is boosting immunity.

Both my wife & I got three BionTech shots (the 3rd one in Dec 2021/Jan 2022), and both of us got Omikron last month. Did feel like a very nasty flu, for a few days my sense of smell was completely gone, but after 10 days it was practically gone. According to the rules in Switzerland I didn't report to the hospital because of only mild symptoms. Stayed at home and worked from there and even flew to Thailand end April.

So from my own experience I cannot understand why there is still a general mask mandate in Thailand, and why other Covid-restrictions are still in place. Just get over it, let everyone get their Omikron infection which eventually will serve as another booster shot. Covid is there to stay so let's get over it the sooner the better. Will there be a slight increase in Covid-related deaths? Probably yes, but year after year tens of thousands die of the flu virus every year in Europe, so sadly, this is part of life. Even China will come to understand that their "Zero-Covid" strategy is doomed to fail in the long run.

So I hope that the sooner the better Thailand will take a more relaxed (and pragmatic) stance with regards to Covid to allow everyone to recover from the economic hardship of the last two years.

Edited by Fundok
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Contracting the Omicron variant while fully vaccinated could boost your immunity

Ahh... Right. Only if your vaccinated... 🤣😂🤣

• Like 1

Ok, that's it. Everybody put off your mask, get Omicron and get rid of the bs! Let's get back to normal, shall we? 

And to all the haters telling me on the Thaiger like... nO, tHaTs noT hOw iT wOrKs, yOu cOnSpiRaCy tHeOrIst! 

How you feeling now with all your links and data vs independent logical thinking? 😂

Told you that whatever is news about Covid, will be debunked sooner or later, sometimes even by the news itself. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Both my wife & I got three BionTech shots (the 3rd one in Dec 2021/Jan 2022), and both of us got Omikron last month. Did feel like a very nasty flu, for a few days my sense of smell was completely gone, but after 10 days it was practically gone. According to the rules in Switzerland I didn't report to the hospital because of only mild symptoms. Stayed at home and worked from there and even flew to Thailand end April.

So from my own experience I cannot understand why there is still a general mask mandate in Thailand, and why other Covid-restrictions are still in place. Just get over it, let everyone get their Omikron infection which eventually will serve as another booster shot. Covid is there to stay so let's get over it the sooner the better. Will there be a slight increase in Covid-related deaths? Probably yes, but year after year tens of thousands die of the flu virus every year in Europe, so sadly, this is part of life. Even China will come to understand that their "Zero-Covid" strategy is doomed to fail in the long run.

So I hope that the sooner the better Thailand will take a more relaxed (and pragmatic) stance with regards to Covid to allow everyone to recover from the economic hardship of the last two years.

So you were OK having contracted omicron. Sadly many in society will not due to age or compromised immune systems but lets get rid of all the precautions because you having to wear a mask is too much of an inconvenience. 

Their lives are a small price to pay when compered to your comfort. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Ok, that's it. Everybody put off your mask, get Omicron and get rid of the bs! Let's get back to normal, shall we? 

And to all the haters telling me on the Thaiger like... nO, tHaTs noT hOw iT wOrKs, yOu cOnSpiRaCy tHeOrIst! 

How you feeling now with all your links and data vs independent logical thinking? 😂

Told you that whatever is news about Covid, will be debunked sooner or later, sometimes even by the news itself. 

Please list all the things about covid that have been debunked by you logical thinkers.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Ahh... Right. Only if your vaccinated... 🤣😂🤣

Thats what the evidence shows. You remember evidence? Its what people show to prove something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Please list all the things about covid that have been debunked by you logical thinkers.

You went straight to the comments isn't it? 

Take your 2/3/4 boosters! 

Turns out this article mentions that getting omicron itself will boost your immune system. Don't need any booster. 

The list of other things that have been debunked is too long. But I've prolly mentioned them in the past. You can read back all my comments.

But keep clutching your data, because it's never wrong, isn't it? 😂

1 minute ago, DiJoDavO said:

You went straight to the comments isn't it? 

Take your 2/3/4 boosters! 

Turns out this article mentions that getting omicron itself will boost your immune system. Don't need any booster. 

The list of other things that have been debunked is too long. But I've prolly mentioned them in the past. You can read back all my comments.

But keep clutching your data, because it's never wrong, isn't it? 😂

No the list you conspiracy theorists logical thinkers have debunked is not long. In fact it is very very short.

Hence your reluctance to list them and instead simply dismissing it. 

1 minute ago, Transam said:

Have you been jabbed....?  😉

Yes, but that time I was warned that I may not step a foot outside if I wasn't jabbed. They lied, because as soon as I showed my proof of vaccination when trying to get into some place, they laughed and said: we don't need that!

But I haven't got my booster. I know my health. For me it's not necessary. 

So there goes the anti-vax name calling for any of the people here😂

If you want it, you take it. Some people don't need it, others really need it. 

40 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Exactly. There is no long term strategy to prevent a covid infection. Mitigation strategies only delay infection. To the extent someone has a controllable comorbidity like obesity lose weight. 

As far as I know Thailand has done nothing to assess the proportion of the population with previous infections. It’s kind of an important number to know. Instead they debate over the meaning of endemic.

Im in Singapore for work now. Changi airport was mobbed but you could hear a pin drop at Survanabhumi.  It is so nice not wearing a pointless mask outside.

A lot of Europeans and Americans aren’t going to visit Thailand if they have to wear a mask.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

No the list you conspiracy theorists logical thinkers have debunked is not long. In fact it is very very short.

Hence your reluctance to list them and instead simply dismissing it. 

I've been called conspiracy theorist by people like you lol. Or anti-vaxxer. I've even been called racist at one point for saying Covid wasn't that bad. Can you imagine the great minds trying to tie this to racism😂😂😂

The list is very long, as there were many different stories about certain topics. And then start to hide behind: bUt it's a nEw vIrUS, wE dOnT kNoW! All while blaming others they are wrong😂

But well, here you go:

Masks are good not to get covid is wrong. They are worn by surgeons to protect the patient from getting anything from the doctor in their wound. It does the same with Covid. You protect others from getting anything from you if you wear a mask. 

Vaccines.... Well, check the article. 

Vaccines, boosters, masks, alcohol gel are the only way to survive Covid. 

By now it's common knowledge that other medicines are able to cure it too. 

They even went so far that they edited a video of Joe Rogan with a filter to make him look sick, just to prove he was wrong about what you guys would call 'horse paste'. 😂

Also, enough exercise, taking vitamins, go out in the sun, eating healthy, all can benefit against Covid. What was the first thing they did? Close gyms, close the beach, where the sun shines, close parks, long story short, made every wrong decision possible. 

But hey, keep clutching to those 'facts' you hear in the news. 🤪

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Transam said:

I agree with all your laughing thingies, the post is a good laugh....

Got your triple Vax PP for your visa extension yet....?  😆

Seems like you haven't even read my post. Some quality which a huge amount of people on the Thaiger have.

All I get from people here is how it's wrong, but never any good argument back. 

But yeah, I was also laughing at all the bs from the tv lol. 

2 pfizers is considered enough to be fully vaccinated, especially when it becomes endemic, they have no right to force that extra booster. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

I've been called conspiracy theorist by people like you lol. Or anti-vaxxer. I've even been called racist at one point for saying Covid wasn't that bad. Can you imagine the great minds trying to tie this to racism😂😂😂

The list is very long, as there were many different stories about certain topics. And then start to hide behind: bUt it's a nEw vIrUS, wE dOnT kNoW! All while blaming others they are wrong😂

But well, here you go:

Masks are good not to get covid is wrong. They are worn by surgeons to protect the patient from getting anything from the doctor in their wound. It does the same with Covid. You protect others from getting anything from you if you wear a mask. 

Vaccines, boosters, masks, alcohol gel are the only way to survive Covid. 

They even went so far that they edited a video of Joe Rogan with a filter to make him look sick, just to prove he was wrong about what you guys would call 'horse paste'. 😂

Also, enough exercise, taking vitamins, go out in the sun, eating healthy, all can benefit against Covid. What was the first thing they did? Close gyms, close the beach, where the sun shines, close parks, long story short, made every wrong decision possible. 

Come to Thailand’s beautiful beaches and enjoy them with your mask on. Not only does it protect you it protects your neighbor and solves world hunger. 

Or go to the park and get a nice run in in 40 degree whether while wearing your mask! 

It works, we promise. 

• Haha 2

Members,

Just a quick note. Covid-19 is not a new subject to any of us and I am sure we have heard the back and forth amongst the factual and rhetoric. Let's not slip back into the bad old days and see if we can just provide supporting links to our differing opinions that state facts or infer them.

After all, this has been a Forum Guideline for a long time. Just that we seem to forget it most when talking Covid-19 and hence all the accusations that flow as result from both sides of the debate.

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fundok said:

I guess you are both in the older age? Am I right? I find it amazing that although triple vaccinated, you still get as you describe "a very nasty flu"? But less if you are in the older age as it is this group that suffers and still will suffer from covid. And that leads to say that those vaccines are not very efficient, saving some lives sure (which is great obviously) but not offering much protection against the disease and quasi 0 immunity. Vaccines as for everything else, some are good, some not so much.

I got my 2nd dose of Astra Zeneca on 26 September last year. According to the UK vaccine surveillance report dated March 10 this year on vaccine effectiveness...

After 2 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, vaccine effectiveness against the
Omicron variant starts at 45 to 50% then drops to almost no effect from 20 weeks after the second dose.

Sourcehttps://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1060787/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_10.pdf

End of February (22 weeks after my second dose) I caught Omicron here in Thailand (there came my natural boost as I was not prepared to get another vaccine anyway). I would describe it as an average cold, certainly not a very nasty flu (I think most people do not know what the flu is and mixing up with the cold). Fever one night, sniffy nose and headaches for 3 days and tired for a week, that's it. A friend of mine got it at the same time, exact same symptoms, roughly same age and health as me... he is not vaccinated for covid. Dozens where I live had it between January and end of March, some with similar symptoms, some just tested positive but nothing, some had symptoms but never tested themselves but with so many around being positive, it was kind of obvious most of them had it too.

I know it is hard for some, but this pandemic is over. It is time to stop taking any notice of all these articles saying this and that, about scientific studies that we are not qualify to read and understand in the first place. Nor to understand who make these studies, if they have conflict of interests or not. Simply look what is happening around you and make your own opinion based on this, and then simply use your individual common sense. Well as we have always done since the beggining of humanity...

• Like 1

Awhile ago they would’ve told you that getting vaccinated would stop you getting it completely!

The USA has a history of commissioning a study to produce a result already predetermined. Moving goalposts with the aim of milking more money out of this

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Or not depending on the study you read. Like this one indicating the protection may not be as good as thought.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2201607

The reality is that this is something we all are making choices on how we live with it and researchers are investigating for hopefully greater long term understanding, along with the development of better vaccines, medications and treatments.

All should be studied the same way and not subject to the ridiculous social media chat or the often politically biased media discussions we saw in the past. 

Or if you like, Pfizer fades after a few weeks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2022/05/13/pfizers-covid-vaccine-protection-against-omicron-fades-just-weeks-after-second-and-third-doses-study-finds/?sh=6305184a32af

Where's the benefit in getting billions of spikes injected into you that only works for a few weeks?  Spikes and LNPs have been shown to not beneficial for health to put it mildly.

3 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

I've been called conspiracy theorist by people like you lol.

Because you are. If it walks like a duck. Sounds like a duck. Looks like a duck then chances are its a duck.

Or is that thinking to logical for you?

4 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Masks do prevent cross infection. Not 100% protection but they help. So thats still true.

We did. I have to ask did you? You are claiming this article is somehow wrong but providing no evidence to prove that.

accines, boosters, masks, alcohol gel are the only way to survive Covid.

What? These things are in place to protect the vulnerable in society. Where has anyone ever said they are the ONLY way to survive covid? Please give details.

Like Ivermectin? There is not a single peer reviewed clinical trial which supports this. There are many, from the most respected medical bodies on the planet which show it does not. But do not let me stop you. If you want to take it then wire in. You may also consider bleach, deadly nightshade or licking toads at midnight. 

I have no idea what you are talking about. You need to link this.

No they didn't. You could still walk in the park just not with others. You could still buy vitamins (vitamin D is advisable in the northern hemisphere during winter by most national health boards). They did close gyms given they are INDOOR locations where people are breathing heavily and in close contact. Thats logical thinking.

Keep clutching those conspiracy theories propagated by people who need your financial support and tell you what you want to hear.

But lets have a look at the covid conspiracy theories which have been debunked.

Covid is fake.

Covid is caused by 5G transmitters.

The vaccine has a microchip in it.

The vaccine kills healthy people like athletes.

The US military imported the virus into China.

GMO crops caused covid.

Covid is a plot by big pharma. 

Covid death rates are fake.

Those are just off the top of my head. There are many many more.

You keep up that logical thinking though. Its obviously working out well for you guys. 

4 hours ago, JJJ said:

Exactly. There is no long term strategy to prevent a covid infection. Mitigation strategies only delay infection. To the extent someone has a controllable comorbidity like obesity lose weight. 

As far as I know Thailand has done nothing to assess the proportion of the population with previous infections. It’s kind of an important number to know. Instead they debate over the meaning of endemic.

Im in Singapore for work now. Changi airport was mobbed but you could hear a pin drop at Survanabhumi.  It is so nice not wearing a pointless mask outside.

A lot of Europeans and Americans aren’t going to visit Thailand if they have to wear a mask.  

Very Few Thai or Farang wearing masks in SW Phuket ( Tourist Areas). 
Local Thais suddenly stopped or reduced this since 1 May or so. 
Only Govt. Hospitals / Offices are strict now it seems. 
Everybody now here has either got Omicron by now …. or not.

Deaths & Cases Falling significantly. 

Whats the point of masking anymore ? Even in hospitals ? 
Govt may scrap it 1June  when ending pandemic emergency perhaps ?