News Forum - Chon Buri man believed to have been killed by electric shock

Thaiger

An installation worker in the city district of Chon Buri province has been killed on the job yesterday when building a roof. The victim, 42 year old Yuttana Wanthayat, is believed to have been electrocuted to death when he stepped on a live power outlet on a wet floor. Officers from Chon Buri Police Station found Yuttana’s body facedown on the floor, with a broken power outlet at his feet. The house owner, whose name is being withheld, said she wasn’t aware of what happened until someone told her Yuttana was unconscious on the floor. She said she had hired […]

The story Chon Buri man believed to have been killed by electric shock as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

That what happen if you cut corners they laugh about safety work with there flip fops on no protection except a mask sad he will not be the last one

I don’t know how many people die from electrocution each year in Thailand, but it’s a lot more than 1 and hence hardly news. Electrical installations are abysmal. Earthing is near non-existent. RCD’s and circuit breakers incorrectly rated. Don’t even get me started on the wiring standards. So easy to do correctly, if only you know how. 

• Like 3

Major causes of fatal electric shock:

faulty appliances.

damaged or frayed cords or extension leads.

electrical appliances in contact with water.

incorrect, damaged or deteriorated household wiring.

Sounds like nearly every rural home in Thailand I've ever visited.

I watched my house being built... workers plugging frayed wires directly into sockets... no covers on plug boxes... it was like a mine field

50 minutes ago, Skip said:

I watched my house being built... workers plugging frayed wires directly into sockets... no covers on plug boxes... it was like a mine field

Same with each of my builds, even running damaged extension leads through mud puddles and bypassing the burnt out main fuse.  I repaired all leads, fitted new sockets and repaired tools for the workers on site.

Accidents and deaths like this report are quite common but seldom make the news.

• Like 1

My own Thai Brother-in-law is an electrician. His work gear is well maintained and works in a safe manner.

But he had a gang working on an extension of mine and I spotted them using a welder. Its plugs were of the "frayed" type and needed replacing and I asked him about it. As usual it came down to money and how it was seen as low importance to fix despite the danger. 

So he and I went to the Hardware and I bought a supply of plugs and some sealed wire on a wheel for cables if needed.

We told the gang to bring in all of their electrical equipment the next day. He proceeded to test it all, and replace the plugs after cutting back and stripping the wires, to make sure all was safe. In some cases, he add a new power cable.  (The welder especially needed one!).

He has had a few others join the gang overtime and I understand the rule is they all have their equipment tested and plugs replaced if needed, when joining. I have bought a few more plugs.

It was a "peace if mind" thing for me. I just couldn't bare the thought of what impact it would have on us both, knowing there was something we could have done to reduce the risk and yet stood idly aside.

• Like 2

Nothing shocking at all to read here. We make it a point to turn off all the breakers when workers are at my house. Just today only an hour ago was no exception as replacing a switch for our airconditioning in the kitchen.