News Forum - Thailand News Today I Still no idea what “endemic” in Thailand means

Thaiger

As the west holds concerts in packed stadiums without masks, here in Thailand we still have no idea what endemic means for us. According to Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, the National Communicable Diseases Committee has STARTED talking about post-pandemic measures when the coronavirus is declared endemic in Thailand, and whether travellers should still wear face masks. Speaking to Thai media yesterday, Anutin claimed that, with public collaboration and increased vaccinations, new cases and deaths have decreased faster than predicted. The country very recently lowered the Covid 19 alert to Level 3 from Level 4, but they still advise against […]

The story Thailand News Today I Still no idea what “endemic” in Thailand means as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Packed concerts without masks have been common for months.

Masks are no longer required even  for airports and flights.

Wake up, Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

As the west holds concerts in packed stadiums without masks, here in Thailand we still have no idea what endemic means for us. According to Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, the National Communicable Diseases Committee has STARTED talking about post-pandemic measures when the coronavirus is declared endemic in Thailand, and whether travellers should still wear face masks.

I’ve been in four countries in the past three or so weeks and it’s been interesting to observe the masking situation in each one. 

Singapore and Thailand - similar, except in Singapore I would say it is stricter. Staff in various facilities call people out for not masking up there. In Thailand, not so much although there is higher voluntary compliance. 

Japan - Most people are still wearing them, but a growing number do not. Even on the trains, which is good to see.

Indonesia (Jakarta) - About 50/50. Much higher compliance in the well-to-do areas.

Indonesia (Bali) - Very few people bother with masks, even at the airport. Wonderful to see. 

I was thinking of going to Koh Samui in August, but might do Bali instead if this  masking regime continues.

• Like 3

Long ago in South Africa I read that HIV was endemic in Swaziland. Which I took to mean that the place was rife with it and to assume that someone had it until and unless you knew different. 

11 hours ago, BigHewer said:

I’ve been in four countries in the past three or so weeks and it’s been interesting to observe the masking situation in each one. 

Singapore and Thailand - similar, except in Singapore I would say it is stricter. Staff in various facilities call people out for not masking up there. In Thailand, not so much although there is higher voluntary compliance. 

Singapore is NOT similar to Thailand. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singapore-announces-major-easing-of-covid-19-rules-from-april-26-what-you-need-to-know

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thaiger said:

As the west holds concerts in packed stadiums without masks, here in Thailand we still have no idea what endemic means for us. According to Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, the National Communicable Diseases Committee has STARTED talking about post-pandemic measures when the coronavirus is declared endemic in Thailand, and whether travellers should still wear face masks. Speaking to Thai media yesterday, Anutin claimed that, with public collaboration and increased vaccinations, new cases and deaths have decreased faster than predicted. The country very recently lowered the Covid 19 alert to Level 3 from Level 4, but they still advise against […]

The story Thailand News Today I Still no idea what “endemic” in Thailand means as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thailand is falling behind as the rest of the world opens up. Bye Bye LOS

12 hours ago, rc1 said:

Packed concerts without masks have been common for months.

Masks are no longer required even  for airports and flights.

Wake up, Thailand. 

If you don't define the term Endemic... at any time you can just make up whatever definition you want or need. 

2 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Have you been to Singapore in the past couple of weeks? I’m guessing not.  I have. 

In my post, I was referring to how widely masks are worn in each country. In the respect of wearing masks in public, on transport and in day to day activities, Thailand and Singapore ARE similar.

• Like 4

The discussion over Pandemic, Epidemic and Endemic will cause all kinds of confusion. The definitions and explanations are relatively straightforward. An Endemic disease is quoted as:

WHAT DOES ENDEMIC MEAN?

A disease outbreak is endemic when it is consistently present but limited to a particular region. This makes the disease spread and rates predictable. Malaria, for example, is considered endemic in certain countries and regions.

The problem arises in the interpretation or steps taken to ensure the disease “spreads and rates” remain predictable. It would be very easy for an Endemic disease to turn in to an “Epidemic”. An Epidemic is quoted as:

WHAT IS AN EPIDEMIC?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) describes an epidemic as an unexpected increase in the number of disease cases in a specific geographical area. Yellow fever, smallpox, measles, and polio are prime examples of epidemics. An epidemic disease doesn't necessarily have to be contagious. West Nile fever and the rapid increase in obesity rates are also considered epidemics. Epidemics can refer to a disease or other specific health-related behavior (e.g., smoking) with rates that are clearly above the expected occurrence in a community or region

Consequently, we are likely to see ongoing variations in preventive measures by various countries to ensure the disease doesn’t result in an unexpected rise in cases which would result in it being reclassified as an Epidemic within the country. 

For a country like Thailand, this level of preventive measures is likely to be higher than many others.  I would therefore imagine masks and other things such as hand cleaning stations and temperature checks could well be with us for a while. For Thailand this could become an issue in regard to tourism. The Thai authorities are rarely, if ever swayed by public opinion, and certainly not Foreign public opinion. As tourists arrive and are put off by the requirement to wear masks, or additional temperature checks in bars and nightclubs, negative stories will circulate and potentially depress the western market? 

Full article:

https://www.publichealth.columbia.edu/public-health-now/news/epidemic-endemic-pandemic-what-are-differences 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

If you don't define the term Endemic... at any time you can just make up whatever definition you want or need. 

In Thailand … Endemic =  Emergency Decree.  …… 

Just another way for the current government to stop the protests.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

The first definition that came up on Google, 

A disease or condition regularly found among particular people in a certain area. 

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

The discussion over Pandemic, Epidemic and Endemic will cause all kinds of confusion. The definitions and explanations are relatively straightforward. An Endemic disease is quoted as:

WHAT DOES ENDEMIC MEAN?

A disease outbreak is endemic when it is consistently present but limited to a particular region. This makes the disease spread and rates predictable. Malaria, for example, is considered endemic in certain countries and regions.

The problem arises in the interpretation or steps taken to ensure the disease “spreads and rates” remain predictable. It would be very easy for an Endemic disease to turn in to an “Epidemic”. An Epidemic is quoted as:

WHAT IS AN EPIDEMIC?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) describes an epidemic as an unexpected increase in the number of disease cases in a specific geographical area. Yellow fever, smallpox, measles, and polio are prime examples of epidemics. An epidemic disease doesn't necessarily have to be contagious. West Nile fever and the rapid increase in obesity rates are also considered epidemics. Epidemics can refer to a disease or other specific health-related behavior (e.g., smoking) with rates that are clearly above the expected occurrence in a community or region

Consequently, we are likely to see ongoing variations in preventive measures by various countries to ensure the disease doesn’t result in an unexpected rise in cases which would result in it being reclassified as an Epidemic within the country. 

For a country like Thailand, this level of preventive measures is likely to be higher than many others.  I would therefore imagine masks and other things such as hand cleaning stations and temperature checks could well be with us for a while. For Thailand this could become an issue in regard to tourism. The Thai authorities are rarely, if ever swayed by public opinion, and certainly not Foreign public opinion. As tourists arrive and are put off by the requirement to wear masks, or additional temperature checks in bars and nightclubs, negative stories will circulate and potentially depress the western market? 

Full article:

https://www.publichealth.columbia.edu/public-health-now/news/epidemic-endemic-pandemic-what-are-differences 

I don't mind having temperature checks etc, but being outside in the heat wearing a mask is still putting me off going to Thailand, it is summer in the UK ,nice and pleasant and no masks or restrictions at all so why go to Thailand now?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Have you been to Singapore in the past couple of weeks? I’m guessing not.  I have. 

In my post, I was referring to how widely masks are worn in each country. In the respect of wearing masks in public, on transport and in day to day activities, Thailand and Singapore ARE similar.

Singapore can be my second home and I have an apartment there. I have been in and out of Singapore for work more than any other countries and it is not for transit in the last few months. I will be there again end of this month.

Masks are not commonly worn in Singapore pre-pandemic period, and only the authorities make it a mandate that the locals start wearing to combat Covid-19 since early 2020. For 2+ years it has been a common protocol to wear a masks until April 26th 2022 with easing of restrictions and wearing of masks only applies to indoors now. However, the residents are starting to just getting used to not masking after the lifting of restrictions from April 26th. Some are more wary than others and still dawn a masks even it is not needed outdoors. Nothing wrong with that.

Please do not compare Thailand and Singapore. A developing country vs a developed country. In Singapore you will never see motorcyclist riding against traffic, riding on pedestrian walk way or not wearing a helmet. Even cyclist wears a helmet in Singapore.

1 hour ago, HiuMak said:

Please do not compare Thailand and Singapore. A developing country vs a developed country. In Singapore you will never see motorcyclist riding against traffic, riding on pedestrian walk way or not wearing a helmet. Even cyclist wears a helmet in Singapore.

I’ll compare an elephant and a Twinkie if I so choose, that’s my prerogative, thank you very much.

You’ve missed the point. I was referring  to the prevalence of masks in the four countries I have been in over the past month, i.e. I have observed with my own eyes. Singapore, Japan, Thailand and Indonesia. Like it or not, it is what it is.