Jump to content

News Forum - Travellers will still have to wear face masks post-endemic phase in Thailand


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I will be in CM on Wednesday 

Will be interesting to see if any difference to what I have seen in all the other places

I happily put on a mask to go indoors

We don't have to anymore in Vancouver but I still do it retail stores 

But I stopped wearing a mask outside in May of 2020

So don't wear a mask outside in Thailand

Only if it is fairly busy place I will

We were at a Sunday market yesterday and it wss fairly busy and congested

Most, not all, the vendors were wearing masks

So I were a mask out of respect 

But just walking down a street that is just regular type traffic

I don't......

Even here in CM just not wearing it looks very odd for foreingers to not do so. But it is done more than I see. Even Thai on motorocyles everone still wears the mask completely on their face. For me I will pull the nose part down to breathe when nobody is near on some off street when riding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Even here in CM just not wearing it looks very odd for foreingers to not do so. But it is done more than I see. Even Thai on motorocyles everone still wears the mask completely on their face. For me I will pull the nose part down to breathe when nobody is near on some off street when riding.

I haven't worn a mask at all when on my MB

 

I've worn a neck gaiter even before Covid for debris when driving

 

So I wear that when needed for debris

But 90% of the time i don't wear a mask when riding 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, rc1 said:

It's not even debateable. 

It’s always debatable unless you have proof. If you look at the posts after yours people are reporting that tourists are walking around quite happily without masks and there are no consequences for them. My friends who arrived recently for a holiday in Phuket had no idea that masks were required until I told them and they weren’t bothered when they found out.If there was a warning about mask wearing when people apply for the TP everyone would know before coming to Thailand but as there isn’t I would argue that Thailand’s mask mandate doesn’t impact selection of Thailand as a destination because most tourists won’t find out until they get here. As masks are still required by many airlines I don’t think it will be a massive shock that they have to continue wearing them in country. Out of interest does anyone know if there are any signs up at airports regarding mask mandates?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Why do you disagree? 

I already gave my opinion in the post you responded to, actually it is probably more accurate to say you disagreed with my opinion, so if I add anything I’d just be repeating myself. Nothing wrong to agree to disagree…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Manu said:

I already gave my opinion in the post you responded to, actually it is probably more accurate to say you disagreed with my opinion, so if I add anything I’d just be repeating myself. Nothing wrong to agree to disagree…

Fair enough😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2022 at 10:57 PM, Marc26 said:

I will be in CM on Wednesday 

Will be interesting to see if any difference to what I have seen in all the other places

I happily put on a mask to go indoors

We don't have to anymore in Vancouver but I still do it retail stores 

But I stopped wearing a mask outside in May of 2020

So don't wear a mask outside in Thailand

Only if it is fairly busy place I will

We were at a Sunday market yesterday and it wss fairly busy and congested

Most, not all, the vendors were wearing masks

So I were a mask out of respect 

But just walking down a street that is just regular type traffic

I don't......

Exactly, that's what I've been saying "don't wear mask outside in Thailand" all about common sense anywhere in the world but someone in this forum in the panic mode due to being fined by the BIB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 12:42 PM, rc1 said:

destination Thailand requires mandatory mask wearing

Agreed the muzzles are a big turn off. The sooner they go, the better. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopefully in a few weeks it will all be over according to a statement today. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2022 at 11:34 PM, ace035 said:

Exactly, that's what I've been saying "don't wear mask outside in Thailand" all about common sense anywhere in the world but someone in this forum in the panic mode due to being fined by the BIB.

I've walked and driven by maybe 10 police today in Chiang Mai without a mask on and they don't even blink and eye

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 1:19 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Even here in CM just not wearing it looks very odd for foreingers to not do so. But it is done more than I see. Even Thai on motorocyles everone still wears the mask completely on their face. For me I will pull the nose part down to breathe when nobody is near on some off street when riding.

I haven't really noticed any difference in Chiang Mai to all the other places I've been in Thailand this past month

 

I'd say 70% of Thais wear masks

Only about 20% of tourists/expats 

 

I wore a mask for approximately 3mins today

 

Walking in and out of my hotel

And 7-11 two times

 

That's it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I'd say 70% of Thais wear masks

Only about 20% of tourists/expats 

 

Could be one reason why Thais have negative opinion about Farangs

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Could be one reason why Thais have negative opinion about Farangs

Oh well

It is what it is 

 

I'd guess they have much more negative feelings towards all the miserable old expats and cheap bastards

 

But that's just my opinion    😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't want to cut the conversation going on here, but to any moderator here. Maybe it's better to have this topic locked to avoid confusion. As the rules about masks are very confusing to some already. And the new update showed that mid-june those rules will be gone. Because everyone keeps posting here, this still looks like the latest news to new people🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I haven't really noticed any difference in Chiang Mai to all the other places I've been in Thailand this past month

I'd say 70% of Thais wear masks

Only about 20% of tourists/expats 

I wore a mask for approximately 3mins today

Walking in and out of my hotel

And 7-11 two times

That's it 

Stores and malls and markets all wear them.  
I see most all thai wear them. Maybe inside hotels maybe more relaxed. I’m in Bangkok now and my hotel is relaxed. But every where else no. Yesterday I saw foreigners not wearing them. To me it looks not good but then again I wear one. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2022 at 2:21 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Stores and malls and markets all wear them.  
I see most all thai wear them. Maybe inside hotels maybe more relaxed. I’m in Bangkok now and my hotel is relaxed. But every where else no. Yesterday I saw foreigners not wearing them. To me it looks not good but then again I wear one. 

When I was in BKK a couple of weeks ago, my hotel had a sign in reception regarding the wearing of masks, but it wasn’t enforced. On one of the days I was there, a German fellow (guest) made a holier than thou-type announcement in the lobby, calling out all the people not wearing masks. The reception staff did not react and the “offenders” either promptly masked up or walked out.

I must say, this kind of mask up vigilantism by people with no authority seriously p*sses me off.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2022 at 12:21 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Stores and malls and markets all wear them.  
I see most all thai wear them. Maybe inside hotels maybe more relaxed. I’m in Bangkok now and my hotel is relaxed. But every where else no. Yesterday I saw foreigners not wearing them. To me it looks not good but then again I wear one. 

I absolutely put a mask on every time I am inside a building

I do that in Canada and the US when not required 

So I will absolutely do so in Thailand when required 

 

I just know, by science, that you can't catch Covid walking down the street

 

So I don't wear a mask outside just for show

I haven't since June 2020

 

I've just been out all over Chiang Mai last night

 

Barely a mask in sight in all the entertainment venues 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BigHewer said:

When I was in BKK a couple of weeks ago, my hotel had a sign in reception regarding the wearing of masks, but it wasn’t enforced. On one of the days I was there, a German fellow (guest) made a holier than thou-type announcement in the lobby, calling out all the people not wearing masks. The reception staff did not react and the “offenders” either promptly masked up or walked out.

I must say, this kind of mask up vigilantism by people with no authority seriously p*sses me off.

Sounds like the German was a little too much of a sour kraut. Thai are more as always passive than agressive in with things like this. Not his place to bellow out as such. Was the guy perhaps drinking a little already? My hotel in BKK was Anatara, but the only ones not wearing masks were ones in the lobby area having drinks or tea and snacks (food), or the ones inside a bar area in another section who were drinking and minding their own business at their tables. Anything outside of these functions all wore masks, except for some foreingers. For me I actually do give a little cocked eye as walk by, or just a wide berth walking around them. Either way they get the message for what I am conveying, but I don't outright become a boisterous dick. Now the holier than though foreingers who blatantly don't wear one where they really should wear one deserve any flack coming to them. But this is just my opinion. I for one do try to realx on the mask when in certain places in public as they absolutely are not comfortable. Never liked them myself, but I do wear them when in a certain setting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I just know, by science, that you can't catch Covid walking down the street

Sure you can if someone coughs or sneezes and you happen to be in the line of fire or touch something it happend to stick to and then you touched it and chewed your nails or something. Long shot but absolutely possible especailly when caught in the ling of fire with bad luck. Same as even when on a motorbike. That stuff can be airborn. No, I am not a worry wart but this is the real science of this fact.

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I've just been out all over Chiang Mai last night

Barely a mask in sight in all the entertainment venues 

Tep, say like the boxing ring bars. No one wears them, and when I was drinking there 6 weeks ago I did not either. One of the exceptions for places.

Anyway, hope your having fun in CM. Happy to hear your back and having a good time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sounds like the German was a little too much of a sour kraut. Thai are more as always passive than agressive in with things like this. Not his place to bellow out as such. Was the guy perhaps drinking a little already?

Didn’t seem like it. He was alone and lining up to check in. Agreed, not his place to bellow instructions to anyone.

Everyone seems to have their own policy of when and where they mask up (if at all). If I’m on a crowded train and some dude is unmasked and I’m wearing one, I don’t care. Likewise, when I see a couple kayaking 50 meters from the sea shore with their masks on, whatever. Amusing perhaps, but it’s their personal choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Didn’t seem like it. He was alone and lining up to check in. Agreed, not his place to bellow instructions to anyone.

Everyone seems to have their own policy of when and where they mask up (if at all). If I’m on a crowded train and some dude is unmasked and I’m wearing one, I don’t care. Likewise, when I see a couple kayaking 50 meters from the sea shore with their masks on, whatever. Amusing perhaps, but it’s their personal choice.

Exactly 

 

My friend and I were talking about this last night 

 

We were at Boy Blues Bar

Big open air bar and some Thais were wearing masks

 

We both said we don't care who wants to wear a mask and who doesn't 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sure you can if someone coughs or sneezes and you happen to be in the line of fire or touch something it happend to stick to and then you touched it and chewed your nails or something. Long shot but absolutely possible especailly when caught in the ling of fire with bad luck. Same as even when on a motorbike. That stuff can be airborn. No, I am not a worry wart but this is the real science of this fact.

Tep, say like the boxing ring bars. No one wears them, and when I was drinking there 6 weeks ago I did not either. One of the exceptions for places.

Anyway, hope your having fun in CM. Happy to hear your back and having a good time.

CM has been fantastic 

 

I always forget how much I like the place until I get back here 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Exactly 

My friend and I were talking about this last night 

We were at Boy Blues Bar

Big open air bar and some Thais were wearing masks

We both said we don't care who wants to wear a mask and who doesn't 

Spot on. It’s the people who get uptight one way or the other that do my head in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Join Thaiger Talk Today!

    Sign up in 30 seconds and join the discussion on everything Thailand!

  • Latest Posts

    1. 32

      Ukraine/Russian Conflict - General Discussion

    2. 32

      Ukraine/Russian Conflict - General Discussion

    3. 32

      Ukraine/Russian Conflict - General Discussion

    4. 1

      News Forum - Proposal for telecom providers to help tidy up Bangkok cables

    5. 32

      Ukraine/Russian Conflict - General Discussion

  • New Topics

  • Popular Now

  • Tell a friend

    Love Thaiger Talk? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use