News Forum - Travellers will still have to wear face masks post-endemic phase in Thailand

Thaiger

On 5/22/2022 at 12:42 PM, rc1 said:

destination Thailand requires mandatory mask wearing

Agreed the muzzles are a big turn off. The sooner they go, the better. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 11:34 PM, ace035 said:

Exactly, that's what I've been saying "don't wear mask outside in Thailand" all about common sense anywhere in the world but someone in this forum in the panic mode due to being fined by the BIB.

I've walked and driven by maybe 10 police today in Chiang Mai without a mask on and they don't even blink and eye

• Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 1:19 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Even here in CM just not wearing it looks very odd for foreingers to not do so. But it is done more than I see. Even Thai on motorocyles everone still wears the mask completely on their face. For me I will pull the nose part down to breathe when nobody is near on some off street when riding.

I haven't really noticed any difference in Chiang Mai to all the other places I've been in Thailand this past month

I'd say 70% of Thais wear masks

Only about 20% of tourists/expats 

I wore a mask for approximately 3mins today

Walking in and out of my hotel

And 7-11 two times

That's it 

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Could be one reason why Thais have negative opinion about Farangs

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Could be one reason why Thais have negative opinion about Farangs

Oh well

It is what it is 

I'd guess they have much more negative feelings towards all the miserable old expats and cheap bastards

But that's just my opinion    😀

Don't want to cut the conversation going on here, but to any moderator here. Maybe it's better to have this topic locked to avoid confusion. As the rules about masks are very confusing to some already. And the new update showed that mid-june those rules will be gone. Because everyone keeps posting here, this still looks like the latest news to new people🙂

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I haven't really noticed any difference in Chiang Mai to all the other places I've been in Thailand this past month

I wore a mask for approximately 3mins today

Walking in and out of my hotel

And 7-11 two times

That's it 

Stores and malls and markets all wear them.  
I see most all thai wear them. Maybe inside hotels maybe more relaxed. I’m in Bangkok now and my hotel is relaxed. But every where else no. Yesterday I saw foreigners not wearing them. To me it looks not good but then again I wear one. 

• Like 3

On 5/26/2022 at 2:21 PM, HolyCowCm said:

I see most all thai wear them. Maybe inside hotels maybe more relaxed. I’m in Bangkok now and my hotel is relaxed. But every where else no. Yesterday I saw foreigners not wearing them. To me it looks not good but then again I wear one. 

When I was in BKK a couple of weeks ago, my hotel had a sign in reception regarding the wearing of masks, but it wasn’t enforced. On one of the days I was there, a German fellow (guest) made a holier than thou-type announcement in the lobby, calling out all the people not wearing masks. The reception staff did not react and the “offenders” either promptly masked up or walked out.

I must say, this kind of mask up vigilantism by people with no authority seriously p*sses me off.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 12:21 PM, HolyCowCm said:

I absolutely put a mask on every time I am inside a building

I do that in Canada and the US when not required 

So I will absolutely do so in Thailand when required 

I just know, by science, that you can't catch Covid walking down the street

So I don't wear a mask outside just for show

I haven't since June 2020

I've just been out all over Chiang Mai last night

Barely a mask in sight in all the entertainment venues 

6 hours ago, BigHewer said:

When I was in BKK a couple of weeks ago, my hotel had a sign in reception regarding the wearing of masks, but it wasn’t enforced. On one of the days I was there, a German fellow (guest) made a holier than thou-type announcement in the lobby, calling out all the people not wearing masks. The reception staff did not react and the “offenders” either promptly masked up or walked out.

I must say, this kind of mask up vigilantism by people with no authority seriously p*sses me off.

Sounds like the German was a little too much of a sour kraut. Thai are more as always passive than agressive in with things like this. Not his place to bellow out as such. Was the guy perhaps drinking a little already? My hotel in BKK was Anatara, but the only ones not wearing masks were ones in the lobby area having drinks or tea and snacks (food), or the ones inside a bar area in another section who were drinking and minding their own business at their tables. Anything outside of these functions all wore masks, except for some foreingers. For me I actually do give a little cocked eye as walk by, or just a wide berth walking around them. Either way they get the message for what I am conveying, but I don't outright become a boisterous dick. Now the holier than though foreingers who blatantly don't wear one where they really should wear one deserve any flack coming to them. But this is just my opinion. I for one do try to realx on the mask when in certain places in public as they absolutely are not comfortable. Never liked them myself, but I do wear them when in a certain setting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I just know, by science, that you can't catch Covid walking down the street

Sure you can if someone coughs or sneezes and you happen to be in the line of fire or touch something it happend to stick to and then you touched it and chewed your nails or something. Long shot but absolutely possible especailly when caught in the ling of fire with bad luck. Same as even when on a motorbike. That stuff can be airborn. No, I am not a worry wart but this is the real science of this fact.

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I've just been out all over Chiang Mai last night

Barely a mask in sight in all the entertainment venues 

Tep, say like the boxing ring bars. No one wears them, and when I was drinking there 6 weeks ago I did not either. One of the exceptions for places.

Anyway, hope your having fun in CM. Happy to hear your back and having a good time.

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sounds like the German was a little too much of a sour kraut. Thai are more as always passive than agressive in with things like this. Not his place to bellow out as such. Was the guy perhaps drinking a little already?

Didn’t seem like it. He was alone and lining up to check in. Agreed, not his place to bellow instructions to anyone.

Everyone seems to have their own policy of when and where they mask up (if at all). If I’m on a crowded train and some dude is unmasked and I’m wearing one, I don’t care. Likewise, when I see a couple kayaking 50 meters from the sea shore with their masks on, whatever. Amusing perhaps, but it’s their personal choice.

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Didn’t seem like it. He was alone and lining up to check in. Agreed, not his place to bellow instructions to anyone.

Everyone seems to have their own policy of when and where they mask up (if at all). If I’m on a crowded train and some dude is unmasked and I’m wearing one, I don’t care. Likewise, when I see a couple kayaking 50 meters from the sea shore with their masks on, whatever. Amusing perhaps, but it’s their personal choice.

Exactly 

My friend and I were talking about this last night 

We were at Boy Blues Bar

Big open air bar and some Thais were wearing masks

We both said we don't care who wants to wear a mask and who doesn't 

6 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sure you can if someone coughs or sneezes and you happen to be in the line of fire or touch something it happend to stick to and then you touched it and chewed your nails or something. Long shot but absolutely possible especailly when caught in the ling of fire with bad luck. Same as even when on a motorbike. That stuff can be airborn. No, I am not a worry wart but this is the real science of this fact.

Tep, say like the boxing ring bars. No one wears them, and when I was drinking there 6 weeks ago I did not either. One of the exceptions for places.

Anyway, hope your having fun in CM. Happy to hear your back and having a good time.

CM has been fantastic 

I always forget how much I like the place until I get back here 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Exactly 

My friend and I were talking about this last night 

We were at Boy Blues Bar

Big open air bar and some Thais were wearing masks

We both said we don't care who wants to wear a mask and who doesn't 

Spot on. It’s the people who get uptight one way or the other that do my head in.