News Forum - Travellers will still have to wear face masks post-endemic phase in Thailand

Thaiger

8 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Lol, because they wanted to make a point, and of course they won't literally ask the money from him. And if he had to, it'll go from his left pocket into his right pocket. 😂

But legally it's not required. 

Indoors I do it, or else I'll be put outside. If I'm the only one. But do you really think they will put everyone outside if nobody is wearing a mask? This is the shop/restaurant/mall owner's choice to not allow anyone without mask. 

Once the government clearly says 'you can do whatever you want', I guess half the people will just leave the masks and will become more and more over time. 

Outside I just wear one, but if I'm not next to an old bus with all the black smoke, you might catch me 9/10 times with my mask under my nose or chin. Outside it's only useful (with the right mask) to wear it to protect yoruself against PM2.5. 

Do you wear a seatbelt in the car or a helmet on a motorbike?

19 hours ago, Benroon said:

For example per head of population the UK has more paedophiles than any nation on earth - is that one of the superior cultures you vaunt ? 

Sleep well 

Do you have any data to back up this claim?  I can't fine any.  

If you look at child abuse by counties.  What is what you have. 

• The highest prevalence rate of child sexual abuse geographically was found in Africa (34.4%.) Europe showed the lowest prevalence rate (9.2%). America and Asia had prevalence rates between 10.1% and 23.9%.

https://journalistsresource.org/criminal-justice/global-prevalence-child-sexual-abuse/

Trying to count the number number of people who suffer from pedophilia by country is hard problem to solve.  How would you even measure it?  Would you use sexual abuse as a proxy? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

White = Bad; Non- White = Good 😩😞

Who said that?

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

No Case. No Facts. No Evidence. 😩🥹

I think you are referring to your own posts! If so I agree😂

I think you spend all day posting deliberately inflammatory posts to get a reaction out of people so the best thing to do is ignore you.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Do you wear a seatbelt in the car or a helmet on a motorbike?

It's a bit of an odd thing to compare it with actually. Any accident is very likely to go from a scratch all the way to body parts scattered over the road very quickly. 

Seriously, I still don't know anyone after 2.5 years into the 'pandemic' who died or got something serious from it. 

Now I don't say because I don't know anyone, it doesn't happen, but I'm just saying it's a very small chance, especially to myself. Everyone I know of, only had very very mild symptoms. 

Apparently I'm so strong that a while back I unknowingly was teaching one of my students with Covid (he knew it a day later). The kid always bites his pencils and I just grab them when I have to write something quickly. I'm also not strict with touching my face in any situation. 

Never got anything. 

And this is not the only time I figured out I've been very close with people who seened to have Covid during that time. 

Might sound a bit gross, but everyone should accept that some dirty things can happen and should stop caring about it so much. 2 years ago you wouldn't wonder where someone's hand had been when you were shaking someone's hand. 

Those germs we touch can make you stronger, and if avoided, you'll likely get very sick from anything. Even things less than Covid can f some people up already. 

If you have been avoiding germs hardcore with alcohol gel etc, I understand why people like you are so afraid of Covid😉

• Cool 1

6 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Likewise. Rapidly Declining Outdoor Mask Use in Phuket Tourist Areas by Thais & Non/ Thais. No Police in Sight!

” The Spice must flow” local provincial govt. unwritten directive here not to enforce for sure. 😉

That’s interesting. If nobody is getting fined then it seems pretty unlikely that the mask mandate is going to have a negative impact on tourism because there won’t be any negative stories going home with the tourists after their visit. Credit where it’s due. Good post which basically nixes the negative posts by other people based your real life observations!

Edited by Stevejm
Punctuation
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Who said that?

I think you are referring to your own posts! If so I agree😂

I think you spend all day posting deliberately inflammatory posts to get a reaction out of people so the best thing to do is ignore you.

I was responding to one poster questioning another who had been “ challenging” me with nonsense. You are “ speaking out of turn” . Your Conclusions here are Baseless.

28 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

It's a bit of an odd thing to compare it with actually. Any accident is very likely to go from a scratch all the way to body parts scattered over the road very quickly. 

Seriously, I still don't know anyone after 2.5 years into the 'pandemic' who died or got something serious from it. 

Now I don't say because I don't know anyone, it doesn't happen, but I'm just saying it's a very small chance, especially to myself. Everyone I know of, only had very very mild symptoms. 

Apparently I'm so strong that a while back I unknowingly was teaching one of my students with Covid (he knew it a day later). The kid always bites his pencils and I just grab them when I have to write something quickly. I'm also not strict with touching my face in any situation. 

Never got anything. 

And this is not the only time I figured out I've been very close with people who seened to have Covid during that time. 

Might sound a bit gross, but everyone should accept that some dirty things can happen and should stop caring about it so much. 2 years ago you wouldn't wonder where someone's hand had been when you were shaking someone's hand. 

Those germs we touch can make you stronger, and if avoided, you'll likely get very sick from anything. Even things less than Covid can f some people up already. 

If you have been avoiding germs hardcore with alcohol gel etc, I understand why people like you are so afraid of Covid😉

Were you vaccinated?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

Lol, because they wanted to make a point, and of course they won't literally ask the money from him. And if he had to, it'll go from his left pocket into his right pocket. 😂

But legally it's not required. 

Indoors I do it, or else I'll be put outside. If I'm the only one. But do you really think they will put everyone outside if nobody is wearing a mask? This is the shop/restaurant/mall owner's choice to not allow anyone without mask. 

Once the government clearly says 'you can do whatever you want', I guess half the people will just leave the masks and will become more and more over time. 

Outside I just wear one, but if I'm not next to an old bus with all the black smoke, you might catch me 9/10 times with my mask under my nose or chin. Outside it's only useful (with the right mask) to wear it to protect yoruself against PM2.5. 

“But legally not required”. Exactly.👍

Just “ culturally” desirable & local bylaw not enforced. 😉

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Never got anything. 

Its not an odd comparison at all. A seatbelt or helmet will save your life in certain circumstances. Same with a mask if you or someone around you is vulnerable.

And where did I say I was afraid of covid? Most likely I am younger, stronger and fitter than you. 

But lets face facts. You wear a seatbelt and a helmet because its the law and it makes sense.

You dont want to wear a mask though because you want to be edgy and rebellious. 

6 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Were you vaccinated?

Yes I am. But that was like 1.5 year into the 'pandemic'. I've been just living my life like I did normally. Normally I'm already less likely to get sick, so imo I didn't actually need the vaccine. It's only because I noticed you need it for extension of your visa and was tricked into it at first because they were speculating of not letting anyone step a foot inside any place without vaccine. 

But who can say it by now if it was just me or the vaccine. All I know is that, knowing myself, I probably would pass Covid as a very mild flu without vaccine. 

• Cool 1

6 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

“But legally not required”. Exactly.👍

Just “ culturally” desirable & local bylaw not enforced. 😉

It's a bit how Thailand always works. Only this time it stuck with the people. 

Normally there are a whole bunch of rules, but people don't follow them. Look at the traffic for example. Even the police is like, well, never mind then. 

This time something scared the people so much that it will last a bit longer. But over time, people will forget about it (I hope). 

But if only they will mention at least that it's not necessary anymore, it will go faster. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

17 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

was responding to one poster questioning another who had been “ challenging” me with nonsense

If you had quoted him I would have known that.

18 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

You are “ speaking out of turn” . Your Conclusions here are Baseless.

Really? It was more of a theory  than a conclusion hence the use of the words “I think”. Anyway you must be a pretty prolific poster to earn Platinum status.

Just now, Stevejm said:

If you had quoted him I would have known that.

Really? It was more of a theory  than a conclusion hence the use of the words “I think”. Anyway you must be a pretty prolific poster to earn Platinum status.

Just backtrack the thread. Posting helps pass the time interestingly.
My Three Motives to participate in Forums here remain :- HELP - LEARN- CHALLENGE. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Its not an odd comparison at all. A seatbelt or helmet will save your life in certain circumstances. Same with a mask if you or someone around you is vulnerable.

And where did I say I was afraid of covid? Most likely I am younger, stronger and fitter than you. 

But lets face facts. You wear a seatbelt and a helmet because its the law and it makes sense.

You dont want to wear a mask though because you want to be edgy and rebellious. 

Well, 2 years into the pandemic, people who are vulnerable should have been vaccinated by now. If not, and you don't want to catch anything, they should stay home and not complain. Vaccines have been provided and will make Covid most likely less hard for those people. 

Besides that, I wonder how your data showed that a mask protects you from getting it, but in the same time would be afraid around someone not wearing a mask. You have the protection, I guess. 

I personally think from what I've read, masks protect others from your saliva etc. I'm just trying to figure out how to be afraid while wearing a mask, thinking the same as you; that masks protect you. 

I also think everyone has to be more exposed to germs. That includes nasty things like getting hit by droplets of other people. It's gross to know, but when you don't think about it, would you really care? Nobody did before 2020.

People who react like you, most likely are afraid of it. Well, at least of the spread. You are way more active on this point of view than you should if you are completely healthy. 

The seatbelt and helmet is for obvious protection. 

I couldn't care less to be rebellious or not. You are totally missing the point there. It's just about personal freedom to decide whether I want to wear it or not. If I ever end up doing such things just for attention and walk around like 'look at me being naughty', please give me covid, as some people might say it is very likely to kill people. 😂

2 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

People who react like you, most likely are afraid of it. Well, at least of the spread. You are way more active on this point of view than you should if you are completely healthy.

I dont wear a mask to protect myself. I wear it to protect others in society who are more vulnerable than I am. I thought I made that point clear.

10 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

The seatbelt and helmet is for obvious protection.

So is a mask in public. 

11 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

I couldn't care less to be rebellious or not. You are totally missing the point there. It's just about personal freedom to decide whether I want to wear it or not. If I ever end up doing such things just for attention and walk around like 'look at me being naughty', please give me covid, as some people might say it is very likely to kill people. 😂

Ah so here we get down to it. Personal freedom. Surely you should be rebelling against seatbelts and helmets for the same reason?

As usual with a teacher you have a vastly overinflated view of your own opinion. It probably stems from having a daily audience who are unable or unwilling to argue with you. It gives you delusions of grandeur. 

As they always say. Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

I personally think from what I've read, masks protect others from your saliva etc. I'm just trying to figure out how to be afraid while wearing a mask, thinking the same as you; that masks protect you. 

Masks offer a degree of protection, specially if both or all concerned wear them.

Think of it as toddlers urinating, less of a dissaster if wearing pamper.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Yes I am. But that was like 1.5 year into the 'pandemic'. I've been just living my life like I did normally. Normally I'm already less likely to get sick, so imo I didn't actually need the vaccine. It's only because I noticed you need it for extension of your visa and was tricked into it at first because they were speculating of not letting anyone step a foot inside any place without vaccine. 

But who can say it by now if it was just me or the vaccine. All I know is that, knowing myself, I probably would pass Covid as a very mild flu without vaccine. 

I guess you will never know then. People that I know who got it before having been vaccinated definitely suffered more and longer than people who got it after being vaccinated. It’s interesting that you believe that you wouldn’t have got sick anyway. A few people who have had that attitude have learned some tough lessons during the pandemic. Anyway at least having been vaccinated you can travel more freely internationally. Some countries are requiring a booster now.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 7:08 AM, mjwalker said:

why why why ?? i can go to a football game in the UK 40.000 people no masks 

go to a beach in thailand with no people but still have to wear a mask !! just plain crazy 

please stop now 

The unelected, Military Academy educated PM and his tinpot soldiers know best. All they want to do is control, control, control, typical military mentality.

They would be better off back at their barracks and parade grounds and do what they are trained to do, which is not playing at being politicians trying to run a country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

I dont wear a mask to protect myself. I wear it to protect others in society who are more vulnerable than I am. I thought I made that point clear.

That’s a good point but if you do a Google search you will find credible evidence based studies that demonstrate that mask use helps reduce the risk of contracting the virus as well as spreading it by infected people. 
In terms of wearing masks to prevent infection of others is an approach that was common in Thailand and other Asian countries even before Covid as many people who go out with a cold or flu will wear masks to avoid passing on their illness. This is a common courtesy that seems alien to most people in Western countries.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Manu said:
21 hours ago, JohnC said:

Exactly. I strongly believe that most Europeans will not even come once they find out it is compulsory at all time,

I don’t think most Europeans are going to look beyond the entry requirements when deciding where to go. There is no indication that tourists are being fined for non compliance in Thailand so why would tourists even worry about it? If they get here and find out that they need to wear a mask to enter a shop they will just comply and move on with their holiday. I think the mask issue is only a big deal for certain posters on this forum and has no relevance to tourists considering visiting Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

The unelected, Military Academy educated PM and his tinpot soldiers know best. All they want to do is control, control, control, typical military mentality.

They would be better off back at their barracks and parade grounds and do what they are trained to do, which is not playing at being politicians trying to run a country.

UK is not a good reference anyway with 22m cases and 178k deaths . Anutin was UK educated and probably others so perhaps we should blame the top UK schools to some extent😂

Incidentally when talking about Thailand’s unreasonable requirements note that my friend in UK had to do an ATK test witnessed over zoom by someone in USA before he could board a flight to US!

Edited by Stevejm
Update
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

I don’t think most Europeans are going to look beyond the entry requirements when deciding where to go. There is no indication that tourists are being fined for non compliance in Thailand so why would tourists even worry about it? If they get here and find out that they need to wear a mask to enter a shop they will just comply and move on with their holiday. I think the mask issue is only a big deal for certain posters on this forum and has no relevance to tourists considering visiting Thailand.

So do you think they'll still come if they have to wear them on a beach?

I know I wouldn't 

Shopping centres fair enough

By the time the high season comes round most Europeans wouldn't have worn a mask for a year so I don't think they'd be rushing to go to a place where its mandatory to wear them myself. 

In Thailand you'll get funny looks if you're not wearing one

In the UK you get funny looks if you are wearing one

I believe masks can be effective but I think they're just pointless outdoors

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

As usual with a teacher you have a vastly overinflated view of your own opinion. It probably stems from having a daily audience who are unable or unwilling to argue with you. It gives you delusions of grandeur. 

As they always say. Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. 

Really, I often have the idea that you are just here to piss people off or something. I forgot his name but aren't you the same guy as a year ago but with a different profile? That dude was the same, just trying his best to go against others. 

I seriously don't get where and how you come up with rebelling and being on the edge as if I do it for the looks or anything. 

By the way, having a bad experience with teachers or something? 

But I'll try to keep it on topic instead of going after people personally if you don't mind. I just come with good arguments, but as usual, you rather make it personal because you have no way to get back to others. At least, I haven't seen any good argument or explanation from your side, only how others are wrong and demanding proof and data. 

Well, I'd still like proof of what you claimed the other day. Remember that time you posted that I supposedly said things and called me certain things, and I asked you to give a quote or anything proving that what you said was right? I still haven't got any. That says it all. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stevejm said:

It’s interesting that you believe that you wouldn’t have got sick anyway.

I've literally been around people who had it that time before I've got my jabs. Inside rooms, without masks. If I have to believe the news, I'd probably have died by now. 😂 Maybe I've got it already a long time ago, but completely asymptomatic. 

But I do believe that others can get it a bit more serious. And others get it severely, but looking at the total numbers of people who got it; 525 million people, the people who died from it is actually very small; 6.28 million. Ok, you might say that's a huge number, but compare it to the total, and you will see that there are definitely more things to worry about than covid. Especially knowing that a huge amount was called a covid death while it was just one of the problems these people had, not tge only one. 

• Like 1