News Forum - Travellers will still have to wear face masks post-endemic phase in Thailand

Thaiger

2 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

NB: I consider disrespecting harmless individual choices a sign of idiocy.

Nailed it!

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:02 PM, Highlandman said:

Yes but they scrapped outdoor mask mandates. They continue to be very strict on indoor mandates and will probably remain that way, for months to come. Malaysia is similar. Scrapped the outdoor mandate (albeit 5 weeks later than Singapore) but with the indoor mandate continuing for the foreseeable future.

In both countries, most people still wear masks outdoors, though I suspect in rural areas of Malaysia they've probably stopped now that they don't need to anymore, unless they go inside a public building.

You no longer need to wear a mask at Changi. I just went this week. Went through immigration etc no mask, so nice. And if it was a rule you can be assured Singapore would have enforced it—they used to employee “Safe Distancing Ambassadors” of course.   

I don’t understand those who say masks aren’t required in Thailand especially Bangkok. I don’t live in other provinces but I’m sure none of them have lifted their orders either.  

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2105235/masks-made-compulsory-in-bangkok

Remember the farce where Prayut paid a fine for not wearing at a cabinet meeting.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Soidog said:

See how they feel about it at the end of the holiday. It’s no fun walking around shopping malls for two to three hours wearing a totally pointless mask. 

Agree. The point is details matter. So say 40% of tourists won’t travel somewhere more restrictive than their home—Thailand has just limited any chance to get these tourists. 

Right now the tourist economy continues to atrophy and the whole economy looks headed for recession. 

People will be booking high season plans now. They’re going to decide based on the rules and attitude now. 

Thailand did a lot of reputational damage last year with its knee jerk cancellation to Test & Go. Wouldn’t you rather preplan a long holiday to a place with firmer mettle to deal with slightly higher cases or a new variant?   

Without a drastic attitude adjustment, with masks being the most symbolic and useless measures, to handling covid many tourists will continue to avoid Thailand. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Without a drastic attitude adjustment, with masks being the most symbolic and useless measures, to handling covid many tourists will continue to avoid Thailand. 

Agree with all you say and especially the last paragraph. It’s not the masks as such in terms of hassle, it’s the image and brand damage they convey. Who wants to step back 6 months in to a pandemic they thought they were finally free from? Especially for your annual holiday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2022 at 5:47 AM, Soidog said:

See how they feel about it at the end of the holiday. It’s no fun walking around shopping malls for two to three hours wearing a totally pointless mask. 

They have come for a beach holiday and were so happy to get into Thailand for the first time without any issues that it will take a lot to dampen their mood. Anyway a lot of people ( including my friends) still wear masks when shopping in UK. Maybe mask wearing isn’t as big a deal to some people as it is for you.

Edited by Stevejm
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JJJ said:

The point is details matter. So say 40% of tourists won’t travel somewhere more restrictive than their home—Thailand has just limited any chance to get these tourists

I think 90% ( I can guess numbers too😄)!of potential tourists will only look at entry requirements for prospective holiday destinations like testing and quarantine and won’t care about mask requirements. No matter how much you want Thailand to fail the truth will be revealed in the actual visitor numbers which are currently ramping up not down. A recent YouGov survey in UK found that 70% of people there were in favour of reintroducing the mask mandate in shops so if that is a true reflection of attitudes they are unlikely to avoid countries with mask mandates. People in UK tell me that many people voluntarily wear masks when in shops.

FD2E2784-CD02-43E6-A57C-00EDC2D8981E.jpeg

Edited by Stevejm
Additional
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I'm going to be back in Thailand in six weeks and I've already decided. I'll wear it inside a shop or mall or whatever, but outside in the street,  I'm not going to bother anymore. 

I'm curious to see what happens. I noticed when I was in Thailand last month that in farang tourist areas many people didn't bother including Thais, but where we are based in HH, Pran, there is pretty much 100% compliance. 

I've had enough of it all now though. I'm just not going to bother. I'll still keep one on my arm just in case it's needed, but just play dumb if pulled up over it. 

I am coming in end June and I will go get a skin doctors letter with allergy to face masks and I will not wear face masks in and out of anywhere in BKK. Lets see what happens 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Stevejm said:

I think 90% ( I can guess numbers too😄)!of potential tourists will only look at entry requirements for prospective holiday destinations like testing and quarantine and won’t care about mask requirements. No matter how much you want Thailand to fail the truth will be revealed in the actual visitor numbers which are currently ramping up not down. A recent YouGov survey in UK found that 70% of people there were in favour of reintroducing the mask mandate in shops so if that is a true reflection of attitudes they are unlikely to avoid countries with mask mandates. People in UK tell me that many people voluntarily wear masks when in shops.

FD2E2784-CD02-43E6-A57C-00EDC2D8981E.jpeg

Well my point was illustrative not a precise poll which is why I led with the word “say”. 

And I don’t want Thailand to fail. I have a retail business. But when the economy isn’t good it also suffers. 

The fact is many tourist economies are doing quite well even without the Chinese market. The government has been all talk little action. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Well my point was illustrative not a precise poll which is why I led with the word “say”. 

And I don’t want Thailand to fail. I have a retail business. But when the economy isn’t good it also suffers. 

The fact is many tourist economies are doing quite well even without the Chinese market. The government has been all talk little action. 

Fair enough but things are generally getting better so let’s be positive 😃. I really don’t believe that masks are going to make a big difference. I don’t agree with the mandate to wear them outside but it doesn’t bother me that I have to . I just don’t think it’s going to make a big difference to tourism. Time will tell I suppose.

Edited by Stevejm

19 hours ago, Stevejm said:

I thought you were coming back to Thailand in 6 weeks! Leave the old guy alone. He is not hurting anyone! Maybe he has seen you and is just being prepared in case you get too close to him?

17 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

It's better to look like an idiot than be one.

PS: you've said today you'll arrive in Thailand in another 6 weeks from now. Are you either intently watching your webcam feeds or do you rely on 2nd hand information regarding the other farlang? Doesn't really matter, I'm just curious how minds work.

I was there for a month recently and left 2 weeks ago. Had plenty of opportunity to observe the German idiot. 

Will be back in six weeks. 

Is that okay with you?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

It's better to look like an idiot than be one.

PS: you've said today you'll arrive in Thailand in another 6 weeks from now. Are you either intently watching your webcam feeds or do you rely on 2nd hand information regarding the other farlang? Doesn't really matter, I'm just curious how minds work.

You don't get it do you? He's walking around a deserted soi, not close to anyone with a mask and a faceshield...

Maybe you can join him! 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, JJJ said:

You no longer need to wear a mask at Changi. I just went this week. Went through immigration etc no mask, so nice. And if it was a rule you can be assured Singapore would have enforced it—they used to employee “Safe Distancing Ambassadors” of course.   

I don’t understand those who say masks aren’t required in Thailand especially Bangkok. I don’t live in other provinces but I’m sure none of them have lifted their orders either.  

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2105235/masks-made-compulsory-in-bangkok

Remember the farce where Prayut paid a fine for not wearing at a cabinet meeting.

Tourist areas down south most people just don't bother. 

Still required, but common sense has prevailed. 

• Like 1

Unless something has changed, there is no legal requirement to wear masks.

You can't be fined either.

I've been in Europe for almost 3 months now.

Coming to Thailand is going to be akin to, going back in time.

I won't be wearing one.

image.thumb.jpeg.d7ed6419e1ceb4bccb4b0f80038dacd7.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JJJ said:

I have serious doubts you no longer need to wear a mask at Changi airport. Obviously you need to remove it when you get your passport stamped.

What has been scrapped in Singapore is outdoor masking.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stevejm said:

I think some people are getting so obsessed with complaining about mask wearing that they are driving themselves to the asylum. You have previously reported that masks are still mandatory in Singapore and Malaysia. Just relax about it and you will start to feel better then one day you might find the requirement has been dropped and you can look for something else to complain about 😄

Wrong. I reported that both Malaysia and Singapore have scrapped OUTDOOR mask wearing mandates, but indoors they're still enforced. Another guy claims Changi airport has scrapped the mandate, but this is highly unlikely as otherwise it would have been all over the news and I didn't read anything about it.

Singapore is still very strict on indoor mask wearing.

I'm not ready to wait 5 years for Thailand to scrap mask wearing. At today's CCSA meeting it doesn't sound like they've decided to scrap even the outdoor mandate.

21 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

There's an old German guy lives in the same soi as me, and he's still wearing a face mask and a face shield when he walks around a deserted soi in the afternoon for a walk. 

He looks like a right idiot!

Must be stupid & paranoid enough.

3 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

You don't get it do you? He's walking around a deserted soi, not close to anyone with a mask and a faceshield...

Maybe you can join him! 

Have you ever considered that he might have or be developing  a degenerative  disease? That would change everything wouldn’t it?

8 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Have you ever considered that he might have or be developing  a degenerative  disease? That would change everything wouldn’t it?

Nope. I know the guy. He lives in my street. He's just a crazy old German dude. 

You considered that. 

• Haha 3

On 5/16/2022 at 10:45 PM, Stevejm said:

Thailand has always been different to other countries. If you don’t like seeing masks on tv turn it off. I don’t need a condescending lecture about what Thailand is like thank you very much. I have been here continuously since the late 90s. I have my impressions and opinions and you have yours but I don’t claim to be able to speak to the future attitudes of the Thai people as if they are a monolithic entity. I think things will get better and mask wearing will drop off naturally as time goes on as Covid risks diminish. Time will tell. Be positive👍

Thai People & Culture are Most Definitely Monolithic in nature. The few free spirits are concentrated in tiny bohemian & academic zones in Bangkok. Like the Japanese then …but without their Intelligence.

That dull collective uniformity would explain the slavish near-total mask wearing here (even with Omicron literally everywhere now), simply not seen anywhere else. 
Mask abandonment will therefore be difficult & painfully slow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

Thai People & Culture are Most Definitely Monolithic in nature. The few free spirits are concentrated in tiny bohemian & academic zones in Bangkok. Like the Japanese then …but without their Intelligence.

Perhaps you should meet more Thai and Japanese people then you would have a more nuanced view

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

That dull collective uniformity would explain the slavish near-total mask wearing here (even with Omicron literally everywhere now), simply not seen anywhere else. 
Mask abandonment will therefore be difficult & painfully slow.

wow I'm struggling to keep up so you may need to help me out - so so far your bigotry extends to all black people, all asian people, thai people, (all of whom I think you described previously as having 'inferior cultures').....actually I can't keep up with the hate list tbh but there were a few others.

You take intolerance to whole new levels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Highlandman said:

I have serious doubts you no longer need to wear a mask at Changi airport. 

I checked Changi’s website and it clearly states that masks are mandatory

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Nope. I know the guy. He lives in my street. He's just a crazy old German dude. 

Are you saying that he has a mental illness and that makes it okay? Still not cool IMO 

2 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Are you saying that he has a mental illness and that makes it okay? Still not cool IMO 

Does walking around a deserted street wearing a mask and faceshield make you crazy? 

Maybe be does have a degenerative brain disease after all. 😆😆

Don't think so though because I expect we'd have heard about it via the Thai news network. 

I suspect he's spent too much time online reading C19 conspiracy theories. 

Regardless, he still looks like a right plonker! 😆😆😆

I don't think I've seen anyone wearing faceshields in over a year now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

wow I'm struggling to keep up so you may need to help me out - so so far your bigotry extends to all black people, all asian people, thai people, (all of whom I think you described previously as having 'inferior cultures').....actually I can't keep up with the hate list tbh but there were a few others.

You take intolerance to whole new levels.

Your general idiocy & lack of basic realism / comprehension is seemingly unlimited.Obvious which cultures are superior or inferior. Except to retards I guess. Evidence right in front of us here daily! Never mind those irritating facts, observations & comparisons though right ? 😡😩

Your retarded naive sixth form politics & worldview that “ all cultures are worthy & equal” is as derisory as it is flagrantly untrue. Your childish and inaccurate use of “ hate” and “ intolerance” should  in my case, be replaced perhaps with “contempt” and “ indifference”. 😎😉

• Haha 2