News Forum - Travellers will still have to wear face masks post-endemic phase in Thailand

Thaiger

On 5/13/2022 at 12:30 AM, DiJoDavO said:

Expats here wear masks all the time, unless they are comfortable with each other and no others are around. At least, that's what I see. 

They only talk about tourists because they want to keep them up to date about the situation. Better to know the rules in advance before you get weird looks when you go around without mask. 🙂

The only reason people wear it is because everyone does and no one puts it off all together. If suddenly everyone does, you'll see that the recommendation to wear it, stops. That's how everything here works😂

People here follow the government too much. However, when you have had mask propaganda blasted into your ears every 5 mins for the past 26 months it's hard not to take notice.

I don't think Thais will stop wearing masks the instant they no longer have to be.

What you'll find is that only 10-20% of the population will immediately rip off their muzzles when (or if?) that announcement is made. The rest will continue wearing them for weeks or months to come...though over time, the percentage will gradually reduce.

You don't get over this kind of trauma that easily.

I thought like you did at the beginning, but that was back in May 2020 when I thought that perhaps this will all be over in 2 months. Clearly it wasn't, and the longer this drags on, the less likely it is that people will totally ditch this habit.

I don't believe that if Thais stopped wearing masks on mass, the mandate would stop. Back in 2020 there was a period when a large percentage of Thais (still a minority, though a significant one) stopped wearing masks even at malls (or at least after walking past security) because there were no cases. Nevertheless, the government didn't lift the mandate. It was lifted in parts of Vietnam and other countries only to later be re-instated, but the mandate has never officially been lifted in Thailand since it was first introduced in March 2020.

A lot of laws exist in Thailand, not all enforced, but unfortunately, once a law is introduced, it's rarely if ever lifted or changed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

I laugh at your naivety. Firstly, masks have been politicized in most countries on Earth, particularly in Thailand where they're worn in the TV studio with no one around! That is a political statement.

Secondly, you really believe mask mandates will be a thing of the past in Thailand soon? Read the article first. I think you're going to be in for a rude awakening when you find that you still have to wear a mask to enter a supermarket at the end of the year or next year.

Not saying that is guaranteed to happen, but make no mistake, Thailand is not about to do a 180 on mask wearing anytime soon, especially when they still can't dispense with this nonsense on TV.

I'd prefer to wear masks inside retail stores

I find a lot of people disgusting 

And that certainly goes for a lot of farang in Thailand 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, astro said:

Wow, what a revelation! 😂

Does this have any bearing on wearing a mask, one way or the other?

The point is the thing has got everywhere now for last 2-3 months. So everyone has been exposed. Wearing a 7/11 mask will not stop any new people getting infected. Only living alone in a remote cave will stop exposure. Testing is only catching people not previously tested. So mask wearing no longer has any medical purpose. 

• Like 3

On 5/14/2022 at 8:44 AM, Manu said:

You are right, it is getting better, on Koh Chang we all know each other and do not care, I personally never wear it (most ex-pats do not). But by far it has not reached the "no one cares" point, no way near...

On the island, I would say 95% of people living here walking about or on their bikes are wearing it (the 5% are mostly ex-pats). And tourists (I would say 95% are local tourists, mostly middle class from BBK), quasi 100%. I see every day people wearing it on the beach...sure they eventually take it off, beaches currently are quite the opposite of crowded. But they arrive on the beach wearing it, mostly directly from their 4/5 stars resorts where you DEFINITELY have to wear it.

2 days ago, I took the ferry out and in of Koh Chang the same day to go to a small town. 100% of people in that town were wearing it. On the ferry 100% of people were wearing it (I think I saw one farang not wearing it). Last time I took the ferry about a month ago, I was told by an employe to put it on as I of course was not, so this time I (pretended) to so.

On Koh Chang, I know a little path going to a beach that tourists would not know about, there is a little bridge over a river before being on the beach. About 10 days ago, there was a kid sitting alone there, fishing ...with the mask on his face...

And on and on and on...

How long have you been here? But that's right, like I said I never wear it. Sure going to Koh Phangan, that makes sense to me. However tourists looking to book a holiday in Thailand will only see one thing: it is mandatory to do so, so the people who do not want that will not come. They will see pictures with pratically the entire population of Thailand wearing it, they definitely will have to wear it in transports, buses, trains, even taxis, etc... So this is why this should be scrapped otherwise we can forget of a huge arrival of tourists the next high season. The majority of tourists are not single men who's only activities are done between the beach and the bars (yes those have been opened for months now, showing the hypocrity of this non-sense), a few of them are already here. But for older tourists, couples and famillies, it is a different story. And those are the ones who will feel obliged to wear it (as for not offending locals if any reason) if they convinced themselves to come in the first place as they will go to places and travel around where Thais do so in a massive way - not going from beach to bars and back where the mask is obviously not there in establishments that should not even been opened but are.

A very comprehensive and accurate post.

Exactly. Tourists won't want to experience this. No, not even the Chinese, who, outside of outbreak zones don't even have to wear them at home (except on public transportation, large events, hospitals and a limited number of other settings, but never outdoors). The Chinese only have to wear a mask for several weeks to a few months in any given area. For them, it's associated with an active outbreak and in China, the restrictions have been on/off mainly coinciding with a spike in caseloads in a particular area.

The Thai concept of "live your normal life while being 100% masked at all times no matter what you're doing" will be almost as unpopular with them as it is with us western expats. I can assure you they simply won't comply. Besides, with their constant spitting and smoking habit, wearing a mask would get in the way of that too much.

Returning expats might be able to put up with this in a way, because this is the home they've chosen, but genuine tourists will think twice about coming at this time, until this charade is done away with. So many other countries don't require mask wearing in any situation, while the majority have ended outdoor mandates.

Last year it might have been understandable (though the science doesn't lie...masks don't work and never have) BUT most of the world was under some form of restrictions last year when moderate and serious cases were much higher especially during the "Delta wave". However, continuing with these mandates now after nearly 3/4 of Thais are fully vaccinated and 39% boosted is quite bizarre indeed. It's like Thais complied with government dictates but got nothing in exchange for their compliance.

Thais religiously wearing their masks like almost no other nationality on Earth (other than Taiwanese, Vietnamese and Hong Kongers perhaps) is more than a bit off putting, especially for a country so obsessed with tourism.

• Like 3

On 5/12/2022 at 12:40 PM, BigHewer said:

I have been in both Singapore and Thailand in the past three weeks and if anything, Singapore is even more strict on masks than Thailand.

Yes but they scrapped outdoor mask mandates. They continue to be very strict on indoor mandates and will probably remain that way, for months to come. Malaysia is similar. Scrapped the outdoor mandate (albeit 5 weeks later than Singapore) but with the indoor mandate continuing for the foreseeable future.

In both countries, most people still wear masks outdoors, though I suspect in rural areas of Malaysia they've probably stopped now that they don't need to anymore, unless they go inside a public building.

33 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

I laugh at your naivety. Firstly, masks have been politicized in most countries on Earth, particularly in Thailand where they're worn in the TV studio with no one around! That is a political statement.

Secondly, you really believe mask mandates will be a thing of the past in Thailand soon? Read the article first. I think you're going to be in for a rude awakening when you find that you still have to wear a mask to enter a supermarket at the end of the year or next year.

Not saying that is guaranteed to happen, but make no mistake, Thailand is not about to do a 180 on mask wearing anytime soon, especially when they still can't dispense with this nonsense on TV.

Surely wearing masks in a tv studio is complying with the requirement to wear masks indoors. There are tv crews there as well as the presenters. People right across Asia wear masks when they have the flu/ cold so mask wearing may well persist for a long time if Covid hangs around. What’s wrong with that? You can spread it around if you want but other people aren’t wrong by showing consideration to other people. So I agree with you that mask usage may well continue after the mandate is dropped but it’s not necessarily a bad thing and will be a matter of personal preference which is surely a good  thing.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

though the science doesn't lie...masks don't work and never have)

Have you even bothered googling mask effectiveness study? Early in the pandemic discussion on the effectiveness of masks was very subjective but now that data has been collected over a couple of years it is possible to make more fact based statements about the effectiveness of masks. Have a look for yourself 

Edited by Stevejm
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Surely wearing masks in a tv studio is complying with the requirement to wear masks indoors. There are tv crews there as well as the presenters. People right across Asia wear masks when they have the flu/ cold so mask wearing may well persist for a long time if Covid hangs around. What’s wrong with that? You can spread it around if you want but other people aren’t wrong by showing consideration to other people. So I agree with you that mask usage may well continue after the mandate is dropped but it’s not necessarily a bad thing and will be a matter of personal preference which is surely a good  thing.

I'm not sure you understand or realize that Thailand is unique in the world when it comes to wearing masks in the TV studio?

Turn on Thai TV. Practically any channel. Doesn't matter if it's a red shirt or yellow shirt channel or what political affiliation they have. Almost all channels and shows will have the presenters wearing masks.

No other country has ever done this throughout this crisis. Yes, in some areas and at various times you would have reporters stand outside and report on something while wearing a mask. From the USA to parts of Australia, China, Vietnam, India, etc. I've seen this at some point between early 2020 and around early 2022.

What you do NOT see outside of Thailand (except Lao Star TV of Laos, which has copied Thailand) is a news anchor wearing a mask in the studio or a game show host and all the contestants wearing a mask. Or all the judges on a singing competition wearing a mask and the contestant wearing a face shield.

I've looked at Chinese news anchors. Never seen one wearing a mask in the studio. Malaysian ones don't either. Nor do Cambodian, Burmese, Vietnamese or Singaporean ones. Even with the indoor mask mandate in place. While I have seen some Cambodian and Filipino shows with masks or shields being worn, it's still less common than in Thailand and doesn't include news anchors.

This is a subtle form of propaganda and Thailand has gone to an extreme no other country in the world has making it very difficult to reverse course and stop wearing them on screen.

I DO hope that the mandates will be dropped soon. I won't care if people continue wearing masks after that occurs, as that is their personal choice. My concern is (and as this article implies) the Thai government does not seem to want to provide people with this choice. To me and a lot of other people that is medical tyranny. It also has the effect of continuing fear, it provides opportunities for the locals to virtue signal and discriminate and also has the potential to cause conflict between locals and foreigners.

As long as the mask mandate persists, it will not be possible to enjoy life freely in Thailand unless you live in a bubble, or spend all your day on your farm. Or on the other extreme, bar hopping or doing something like that. It won't be a problem to go to the beach, because no one expects you to wear a mask there and I would laugh at anyone who insisted. However, the laughing stops when it comes to entering most indoor spaces, which could include a 7-11 right on the beach because a mask will be expected to be worn there. Ditto for malls and supermarkets. As long as the mandate persists, it will mean mostly online grocery shopping or very quick 15 minute visits for essentials. No more leisurely strolls through the mall, or forays to a night market, or foot massages and even walks down a busy street won't feel very comfortable if people are staring at you for not wearing a muzzle. It's also awkward meeting other Thais (for example for business meetings) as they probably expect you to be masked but not all do and it depends on where you're meeting them and under what circumstances.

Wearing a mask all day long and while undertaking most everyday activities is not normal and shouldn't be accepted as such.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 2:32 PM, rc1 said:

Great comment.

Mass masking is psychologically a real burden and constant reminder that something isn't right...

It's not conducive to society operating in a free and positive way.

Yes, the pandemic isn't over but mass masking ain't necessary anymore or proportionate.

Most countries as they're now dropping masks, see the difference in day to day life, just so much better.

Get on with it Thailand, time to get back to the land of smiles again.

Great comment.

You've hit the nail on the head with the word "psychologically". Absolutely spot on. It's very much a psychological burden and one that will likely persist for some time to come, probably months to years after the mandate is dropped (if it ever is).

Right now, it's simply not fun going about your day in Thailand unless you either live in a bubble, are residing somewhere like Koh Phangan or a very rural area where the locals have accepted you into their community and are no longer locking down their villages like they did until a few months ago and where mask wearing isn't as common as in the towns and cities (this generally applies to remote hill tribe villages in northern provinces such as Tak, Mae Hong Son and Chiang Mai). However, the locals have to know you because I've seen footage of tourists visiting such villages about 6 or so months ago and the locals started covering their mouths with their t-shirts when tourists walked by or they didn't allow outsiders in at all.

Almost everywhere else, it's a major burden because either you wear your mask to fit in and do it despite knowing it's ineffective and more of a superstition than anything to do with health at this point or to avoid conflict. That is no way to live one's life and especially for us expats who can always choose to go home or live in another country if we see fit.

I can totally see this having the effect of forcing some expats out of the country and I will probably be one of them as I will not allow my young children to be subjected to this madness when they are old enough to go to school. Unfortunately, international schools are just as bad as the government schools and they're even more extreme when it comes to the daily ATK testing, which is now optional at government schools except for those with symptoms.

As long as mandatory mask wearing continues, it will continue to create the conditions for misunderstandings, conflict or at the very least, make the country less attractive to visit, invest or live in.

Now some people will say "oh but, no one cares if you're not wearing one outside". Well, I've commented on this already but like you said - the psychological element remains. Either you have to be someone who just doesn't care, you fit in or you avoid those situations altogether. Whatever you choose to do, you'll probably be super aware that the state of affairs isn't normal, which you'll notice by the actions of those around you.

It's almost like normal life remains in a state of suspended animation here in Thailand because of this superstition/practice/habit (whatever you want to call it).

While I used to really love the country, if this persists, I'll be more than happy to leave and not look back. This is simply something I can't get used to as it's not normal.

I've noticed in neighboring countries it simply is nowhere near as bad as this. For instance in Laos, 1/3 to almost half the population doesn't really comply with the mandates [anymore]. No one will run away from an unmasked farang, when half the people in the market don't wear one themselves. In Thailand they probably will...or not serve you. Or cover their faces when you walk by.

In Cambodia outdoor mandates have ended. So while there was a period of paranoia last year, that's when the mask mandate was in place and strictly complied with, but has since been eased allowing a semblance of normality to return. In Myanmar, few people wear masks outdoors and even indoors, compliance is no longer what it was during 2020.

But not in Thailand. The fear and level of compliance is still the same as in April 2020 and that is very worrying.

2 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Ideally, the mandate needs to be scrapped completely ASAP. If they scrap it everywhere except public transport and hospitals, it would be enough to get most tourists back and make expats feel comfortable again though. That's because most of us don't have to go to a hospital at all (or regular basis) and some of us never use public transport.

It would be crazy if Thailand still insisted on mask wearing come October. By then, no other country will still be insisting on this.

But that will just be in time for Halloween!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Yet they haven't officially extended the emergency decree beyond the end of the month yet. In a related article, it was stated that they're looking at ways of enshrining mask wearing in law even without the decree. So I think the idea that just because the emergency decree is lifted means no more mask wearing is a little naive.

Street gatherings and protests still happened during the emergency decree. Remember October 2020? Or 2021?

I don’t think lifting the emergency decree means no more face mask, just the opposite. I think no more Covid restrictions, including no more face masks, means it’s hard to justify keeping the emergency decree. The clashes with police in 2020 and 2021 were minor issues. I mean full blown street protests as seen in 2010 where 90 or more people were shot dead by police. 

1 hour ago, Highlandman said:

I'm not sure you understand or realize that Thailand is unique in the world when it comes to wearing masks in the TV studio?

Turn on Thai TV. Practically any channel. Doesn't matter if it's a red shirt or yellow shirt channel or what political affiliation they have. Almost all channels and shows will have the presenters wearing masks.

No other country has ever done this throughout this crisis. Yes, in some areas and at various times you would have reporters stand outside and report on something while wearing a mask. From the USA to parts of Australia, China, Vietnam, India, etc. I've seen this at some point between early 2020 and around early 2022.

What you do NOT see outside of Thailand (except Lao Star TV of Laos, which has copied Thailand) is a news anchor wearing a mask in the studio or a game show host and all the contestants wearing a mask. Or all the judges on a singing competition wearing a mask and the contestant wearing a face shield.

I've looked at Chinese news anchors. Never seen one wearing a mask in the studio. Malaysian ones don't either. Nor do Cambodian, Burmese, Vietnamese or Singaporean ones. Even with the indoor mask mandate in place. While I have seen some Cambodian and Filipino shows with masks or shields being worn, it's still less common than in Thailand and doesn't include news anchors.

This is a subtle form of propaganda and Thailand has gone to an extreme no other country in the world has making it very difficult to reverse course and stop wearing them on screen.

I DO hope that the mandates will be dropped soon. I won't care if people continue wearing masks after that occurs, as that is their personal choice. My concern is (and as this article implies) the Thai government does not seem to want to provide people with this choice. To me and a lot of other people that is medical tyranny. It also has the effect of continuing fear, it provides opportunities for the locals to virtue signal and discriminate and also has the potential to cause conflict between locals and foreigners.

As long as the mask mandate persists, it will not be possible to enjoy life freely in Thailand unless you live in a bubble, or spend all your day on your farm. Or on the other extreme, bar hopping or doing something like that. It won't be a problem to go to the beach, because no one expects you to wear a mask there and I would laugh at anyone who insisted. However, the laughing stops when it comes to entering most indoor spaces, which could include a 7-11 right on the beach because a mask will be expected to be worn there. Ditto for malls and supermarkets. As long as the mandate persists, it will mean mostly online grocery shopping or very quick 15 minute visits for essentials. No more leisurely strolls through the mall, or forays to a night market, or foot massages and even walks down a busy street won't feel very comfortable if people are staring at you for not wearing a muzzle. It's also awkward meeting other Thais (for example for business meetings) as they probably expect you to be masked but not all do and it depends on where you're meeting them and under what circumstances.

Wearing a mask all day long and while undertaking most everyday activities is not normal and shouldn't be accepted as such.

Thailand has always been different to other countries. If you don’t like seeing masks on tv turn it off. I don’t need a condescending lecture about what Thailand is like thank you very much. I have been here continuously since the late 90s. I have my impressions and opinions and you have yours but I don’t claim to be able to speak to the future attitudes of the Thai people as if they are a monolithic entity. I think things will get better and mask wearing will drop off naturally as time goes on as Covid risks diminish. Time will tell. Be positive👍

Edited by Stevejm
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Highlandman said:

A very comprehensive and accurate post.

Exactly. Tourists won't want to experience this. No, not even the Chinese, who, outside of outbreak zones don't even have to wear them at home (except on public transportation, large events, hospitals and a limited number of other settings, but never outdoors). The Chinese only have to wear a mask for several weeks to a few months in any given area. For them, it's associated with an active outbreak and in China, the restrictions have been on/off mainly coinciding with a spike in caseloads in a particular area.

The Thai concept of "live your normal life while being 100% masked at all times no matter what you're doing" will be almost as unpopular with them as it is with us western expats. I can assure you they simply won't comply. Besides, with their constant spitting and smoking habit, wearing a mask would get in the way of that too much.

Returning expats might be able to put up with this in a way, because this is the home they've chosen, but genuine tourists will think twice about coming at this time, until this charade is done away with. So many other countries don't require mask wearing in any situation, while the majority have ended outdoor mandates.

Last year it might have been understandable (though the science doesn't lie...masks don't work and never have) BUT most of the world was under some form of restrictions last year when moderate and serious cases were much higher especially during the "Delta wave". However, continuing with these mandates now after nearly 3/4 of Thais are fully vaccinated and 39% boosted is quite bizarre indeed. It's like Thais complied with government dictates but got nothing in exchange for their compliance.

Thais religiously wearing their masks like almost no other nationality on Earth (other than Taiwanese, Vietnamese and Hong Kongers perhaps) is more than a bit off putting, especially for a country so obsessed with tourism.

I think your seemingly preoccupation with masks and who wears them is way more off putting than people who want to wear masks 

I've been here now almost 4 weeks

Masks almost don't even come into my mind

I wear a gaiter when driving my motorbike for debris purposes and pull that up as a mask when I go into 7-11

Most nights when I am going on I never put a mask on, at all

But you spend way more time thinking about masks than most do

So you might want to look in the mirror 

• Like 3

On 5/17/2022 at 8:04 AM, Marc26 said:

I think your seemingly preoccupation with masks and who wears them is way more off putting than people who want to wear masks 

I've been here now almost 4 weeks

Masks almost don't even come into my mind

I wear a gaiter when driving my motorbike for debris purposes and pull that up as a mask when I go into 7-11

Most nights when I am going on I never put a mask on, at all

But you spend way more time thinking about masks than most do

So you might want to look in the mirror 

You're completely downplaying the obvious - except on the islands you can't go anywhere without wearing a mask because Thais won't allow you. They're completely obsessed with mask wearing.

Outdoors - you can get away with not wearing one provided you're not in a crowded area.

As long as this muzzle wearing obsession persists, Thailand will not get back to normal.

Therefore you might want to look in the mirror - let's see if you can get into a mall or immigration office or public boat without a mask.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2022 at 10:45 PM, Stevejm said:

Thailand has always been different to other countries. If you don’t like seeing masks on tv turn it off. I don’t need a condescending lecture about what Thailand is like thank you very much. I have been here continuously since the late 90s. I have my impressions and opinions and you have yours but I don’t claim to be able to speak to the future attitudes of the Thai people as if they are a monolithic entity. I think things will get better and mask wearing will drop off naturally as time goes on as Covid risks diminish. Time will tell. Be positive👍

Thailand is starting to resemble a lunatic asylum with this religious devotion to mask wearing.

It's not the carefree happy go lucky society it once was.

If you don't conform to this superstition, Thais will flee away from you in fear.

Try getting into a mall without a mask. Security will be called, the police might be called and it could almost become an international incident.

No other country is this hysterical over Covid. No people in the world have been this traumatized, and yes, I think I can generalize because MOST Thais are continuing to comply with this charade. Not all, though most.

It's not like in America, Europe or even Australia or neighboring countries such as Cambodia and Myanmar, where a lot of people simply don't comply. In Thailand, the population at large is so hypochondriac that they will probably never dispense with this lunacy.

Read the article again - Anutin wants to make mask wearing permanent, even if he doesn't use these words.

Aside from some loosening of outdoor mandates, I don't think mandatory mask wearing will ever completely disappear in Thailand. Or if it does, it might take years.

Edited by Highlandman
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 10:28 PM, Soidog said:

I don’t think lifting the emergency decree means no more face mask, just the opposite. I think no more Covid restrictions, including no more face masks, means it’s hard to justify keeping the emergency decree. The clashes with police in 2020 and 2021 were minor issues. I mean full blown street protests as seen in 2010 where 90 or more people were shot dead by police. 

The October 2020 clashes prompted a separate 1-month state of emergency (which was lifted earlier than expected) so whatever happens with this Covid emergency decree it didn't stop those massive protests from happening back then.

As the article implies (and others written recently) the government is exploring ways of enshrining mask wearing in law, even without the emergency decree. Whatever they call it, this government seems to be in a permanent state of emergency.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Highlandman said:

You're completely downplaying the obvious - except on the islands you can't go anywhere without wearing a mask because Thais won't allow you. They're completely obsessed with mask wearing.

Outdoors - you can get away with not wearing one provided you're not in a crowded area.

As long as this muzzle wearing obsession persists, Thailand will not get back to normal.

Therefore you might want to look in the mirror - let's see if you can get into a mall or immigration office or public boat without a mask.

Some feedback from some tourist friends who just arrived from UK. They don’t care about the mask mandate. They are just happy that they didn’t have to do pre flight tests and test and go on arrival.

On 5/12/2022 at 4:57 PM, HiuMak said:

Wearing of masks are for people with ugly teeth 🤣

Or at least a herpes around the mouth and lips from BJ.

13 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Thailand is starting to resemble a lunatic asylum with this religious devotion to mask wearing.

It's not the carefree happy go lucky society it once was.

If you don't conform to this superstition, Thais will flee away from you in fear.

Try getting into a mall without a mask. Security will be called, the police might be called and it could almost become an international incident.

No other country is this hysterical over Covid. No people in the world have been this traumatized, and yes, I think I can generalize because MOST Thais are continuing to comply with this charade. Not all, though most.

It's not like in America, Europe or even Australia or neighboring countries such as Cambodia and Myanmar, where a lot of people simply don't comply. In Thailand, the population at large is so hypochondriac that they will probably never dispense with this lunacy.

Read the article again - Anutin wants to make mask wearing permanent, even if he doesn't use these words.

Aside from some loosening of outdoor mandates, I don't think mandatory mask wearing will ever completely disappear in Thailand. Or if it does, it might take years.

There are many other rules in place that no longer make any sense and need to be dropped.

For example, you can't eat or drink on a domestic flight in Thailand.

How many other countries in the world have this draconian measure in place? 

7 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Some feedback from some tourist friends who just arrived from UK. They don’t care about the mask mandate. They are just happy that they didn’t have to do pre flight tests and test and go on arrival.

See how they feel about it at the end of the holiday. It’s no fun walking around shopping malls for two to three hours wearing a totally pointless mask. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Highlandman said:

I think some people are getting so obsessed with complaining about mask wearing that they are driving themselves to the asylum. You have previously reported that masks are still mandatory in Singapore and Malaysia. Just relax about it and you will start to feel better then one day you might find the requirement has been dropped and you can look for something else to complain about 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm going to be back in Thailand in six weeks and I've already decided. I'll wear it inside a shop or mall or whatever, but outside in the street,  I'm not going to bother anymore. 

I'm curious to see what happens. I noticed when I was in Thailand last month that in farang tourist areas many people didn't bother including Thais, but where we are based in HH, Pran, there is pretty much 100% compliance. 

I've had enough of it all now though. I'm just not going to bother. I'll still keep one on my arm just in case it's needed, but just play dumb if pulled up over it. 

• Like 3

There's an old German guy lives in the same soi as me, and he's still wearing a face mask and a face shield when he walks around a deserted soi in the afternoon for a walk. 

He looks like a right idiot!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Angry 1

28 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

There's an old German guy lives in the same soi as me, and he's still wearing a face mask and a face shield when he walks around a deserted soi in the afternoon for a walk. 

I thought you were coming back to Thailand in 6 weeks! Leave the old guy alone. He is not hurting anyone! Maybe he has seen you and is just being prepared in case you get too close to him?

Edited by Stevejm
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

It's better to look like an idiot than be one.

NB: I consider disrespecting harmless individual choices a sign of idiocy.
PS: you've said today you'll arrive in Thailand in another 6 weeks from now. Are you either intently watching your webcam feeds or do you rely on 2nd hand information regarding the other farlang? Doesn't really matter, I'm just curious how minds work.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1