US is “unable” to provide Covid-19 vaccines to Americans who live overseas

Thaiger

1 hour ago, dimitri said:

Yes. But who pays tax in Thailand?  The result is that US people living here  making money online still have to pay tax to the US.

I think they deserve a vaccine from their government.

There is a saying: "deserves got nothing to do with it". Regardless, yes the US should be offering vaccines for it's citizens at their embassy. 

As for the tax, shouldn't the person earning money in Thailand pay the Thai tax? isn't that the law? Oh I get it, you don't want to pay tax to either country. Hahaha. Fact still remains, you are not taxed twice. If you are paying the tax to Thailand, you don't pay it to the US. If you wish to not pay US tax ever again, do what some do and renounce your citizenship. The IRS will never darken your door again. That way you can cheat Thailand to your hearts content, and not worry about the US sticking it to you through the back door (pun intended).  

15 hours ago, dimitri said:

Unwilling is a better word.

Are the French and Chinese that much smarter than Americans?

not smarter, they just know how to deal with Asian politicians: give something and take anything you want. We all know what China gave... What French did is just a took a liberty of actually talking to Thai PM and showing some respect

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EdwardV said:

As for the tax, shouldn't the person earning money in Thailand pay the Thai tax? isn't that the law?

Unfortunately, the Thai law says that I cannot pay tax, even if I wanted to do so. Income from abroad is not taxed.

I am not from the US, so this is not about me. But I agree with you that people should pay tax in Thailand. But I fail to see any justification why US people who do not live in the US should pay tax to their country.  If there was a justification more countries would have laws like the US. It's legalized theft. And it turns out they don't even get anything in return.

• Like 1

Topic will soon be mute, Moderna vaccine has problems. As time moves, we are able to discover more problems with the vaccine, heart inflammation within young adults reported yesterday. I am also curious about some athletes who have sudden heart attacks while engaging in strenuous sports;  football player and a badminton champion, wonder what brand of vaccine they took? One died during play, the other was given heart recitation and lived.

1 hour ago, Slugger said:

'Heart recitation?' Is that when someone stands over you and says 'How do i get you alone?'

Yea, life and death us not a joke

2 hours ago, Inlandchris said:

football player ... the other was given heart recitation and lived.

I heard that he was not vaccinated yet. But it's an example some people like to use.

• Like 2

After checking, he was not vaccinated, another fake news. Also, could not find anything about the badminton champion either, disregard my post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 5:44 PM, Inlandchris said:

US culture, dont like it? Go home. Which is specifically why I am in Thailand, opposite US culture. 7 million vaccine doses going to Asia (15 countries including Thailand) which each have a population over 60 million is getting 466,666 doses per country, pitiful. OK, I accept that and sounds like the final word but how about submitting a bill to Congress exempting all expats from paying income taxes. Expats dont support Embassies, CIA and other agencies do.

This is a great idea ! Why to pay tax in US if the government can ‘t support us citizen overseas ! Sounds great ! France did a very good job to support their citizen over 55 ! 

On 6/23/2021 at 11:37 PM, Slugger said:

'Heart recitation?' Is that when someone stands over you and says 'How do i get you alone?'

But quietly as the reciter is "mute"

2 hours ago, Zool said:

Two cricket players from West Indies collapsed yesterday also. They had gotten the jab a few days ago.

The original source for this "story" seems to be Infowars. (Offered without comment.)

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 2:38 PM, Thaiger said:

Maybe if someone mentions 'oil' or 'democracy', the USA is all ears. 

21 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Maybe if someone mentions 'oil' or 'democracy', the USA is all ears. 

Oil is so last decade. The US is energy independent now, they are in fact an oil exporter. Why else do you think America is pulling its  troops out of the Middle East. For Americans that’s actually a good thing, it’s quite debatable if it is for the rest of the oil importing world. 

• 2 months later...

Meanwhile, as Thailand pursues its vaccination program, I will continue to advocate for your equitable access, keeping in mind that many Thai citizens are also waiting for their own vaccines. 

But they are not required to pay medicare, file a tax return, pay taxes, and file a FINBAR every year.

Heath spouts a bunch of nonsense, one phone call to the health minister along the lines of:

We will donate 1.5 million vaccines with the stipulation that on presentation of an American passport a US citizen can get one of those doses.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 11:24 PM, Vwwv said:

Oh yeah the quarentine I did for 6 days in a beachfront hotel was also free.

I looked at Guam as a possibility, but found the prices to be a bit high, not counting the fact that airfare was higher than to return to the US.  I never saw that the hotels were free.

Like someone else here, I was ready to go back to the US to get my shots, but Delta popped out and I decided it was prudent to lay low.

I think the US does a lousy job of "supporting" its overseas citizens.  I've lived overseas for more than 25 years in a variety of countries and have found out that the embassy is not to be depended on except for clerical issues like renewing my passport.  Otherwise, their interests are not the interests of US citizens but of US policy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

I looked at Guam as a possibility, but found the prices to be a bit high, not counting the fact that airfare was higher than to return to the US.  I never saw that the hotels were free.

Like someone else here, I was ready to go back to the US to get my shots, but Delta popped out and I decided it was prudent to lay low.

I think the US does a lousy job of "supporting" its overseas citizens.  I've lived overseas for more than 25 years in a variety of countries and have found out that the embassy is not to be depended on except for clerical issues like renewing my passport.  Otherwise, their interests are not the interests of US citizens but of US policy.

I sympathise with the sentiment. Other countries could have followed the lead of France and China. But a consulate is no more than the countries' representation of the public administration in a foreign country. 

The usual excuse is that if they were to do it here, they'd have to do it in every other country too. Thats of course absurd, as the need isn't the same everywhere. But good luck trying to change public servants' attitude while they refer to their policy-rules. 😉

• Like 1