US is “unable” to provide Covid-19 vaccines to Americans who live overseas

Thaiger

The United States Department of State is “unable” to provide Covid-19 vaccines to Americans who are currently overseas as the US government’s global vaccine effort focuses on distributing millions of vaccines to countries seriously impacted by the pandemic, the Embassy of the US in Thailand Charge d’Affaires Michael Heath wrote in a statement addressed to Americans in Thailand. The US Department of State is unable to provide vaccines to the millions of Americans who reside outside of the United States. For those who wish to return to the United States to be vaccinated, information on vaccine availability at the state […]

The post US is “unable” to provide Covid-19 vaccines to Americans who live overseas appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

56 minutes ago, dimitri said:

Unwilling is a better word.

Are the French and Chinese that much smarter than Americans?

Yes, obviously. Generally speaking.

The Americans dont have any problem delivering a drone strike down a wedding party's throat, do they, however far from home?

Edited by Poolie
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

I am sure the USA embassy personnel/ staff all have been vaccinated. Does it make sense for me to fly on 3-4 different airplanes, breathing inside airplanes over a total of 22 hours just to be vaccinated in the USA - especially with the highly contagious Delta Covid strain out there?  And wouldn’t vaccinating American citizens help Thailand also? 

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

Get over it. Once you leave your home country you are on your own. You came here voluntarily so leave voluntarily. The Thai government is pretty damn generous in allowing you to get free vaccination, albeit with pretty inferior stuff but at least it is free. And just consider the fact that your government is still blocking exports of vaccines, vaccine components and vaccine manufacturing equipment under wartime legislation invoked by Trump and continued by the oh so nice Mr Biden. Remember that as you queue for your free jab!

• Like 1
  • Cool 1
  • Angry 2

It really feels like the US government is showering every country in the world with USD, but leaving aside their own citizen.

• Like 4

It's highly valuable, that's what it was all about, how much it's worth $$$. You think they're going to let even one dose of it go international without some sort of dollar amount or contingency attached? Get real, it's been a money scheme since the inception years ago. 

25 minutes ago, Pompies said:

Remember that as you queue for your free jab!

Ha-ha . . . great comment and debut post!

Hello, Pompies and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

Lol they sending to countries vaccines as donation and they give a warning if you travel to Thailand and now they say this nonsense, Americans always stay Americans 

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, Siam-Bill23 said:

I am sure the USA embassy personnel/ staff all have been vaccinated. Does it make sense for me to fly on 3-4 different airplanes, breathing inside airplanes over a total of 22 hours just to be vaccinated in the USA - especially with the highly contagious Delta Covid strain out there?  And wouldn’t vaccinating American citizens help Thailand also?

Fair comment, Siam-Bill23, and an excellent debut post . . . thanks for that!

Hello and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

28 minutes ago, Cqman said:

It really feels like the US government is showering every country in the world with USD, but leaving aside their own citizen.

Yes, that does seem like the picture . . . a pretty sad one, too.

Hello, Cqman and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

US culture, dont like it? Go home. Which is specifically why I am in Thailand, opposite US culture. 7 million vaccine doses going to Asia (15 countries including Thailand) which each have a population over 60 million is getting 466,666 doses per country, pitiful. OK, I accept that and sounds like the final word but how about submitting a bill to Congress exempting all expats from paying income taxes. Expats dont support Embassies, CIA and other agencies do.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Inlandchris said:

US culture, dont like it? Go home. Which is specifically why I am in Thailand, opposite US culture. 7 million vaccine doses going to Asia (15 countries including Thailand) which each have a population over 60 million is getting 466,666 doses per country, pitiful. OK, I accept that and sounds like the final word but how about submitting a bill to Congress exempting all expats from paying income taxes. Expats dont support Embassies, CIA and other agencies do.

What a cracker of a debut post, especially 'how about submitting a bill to Congress exempting all expats from paying income taxes' . . . terrific!

Hello, Inlandchris and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

37 minutes ago, Wayan said:

The government could and should do both, easily.

Hear, hear!

Hello, Wayan and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

16 minutes ago, Tim12 said:

The lame excuse letter from the embassy neglected to mention all embassy staffers have been vaccinated by the US government.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-state-department-says-covid-19-vaccines-shipped-all-overseas-workforce-2021-04-20/

Yes, that damn neglecting to mention syndrome, again!

Hello, Tim12 and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

12 minutes ago, Tjampman said:

In general I would agree with you, however in the case of the US being one of the only countries we're you are still required to pay tax even when not living there I would hold them to a higher standard.

Except you are not taxed twice. Every dollar you earn overseas that's taxed by say Thailand is deducted from your American tax return. While I certainly agree with your sediment and conclusion, the overseas income tax issue is much more complex than at first sight (a problem in and of itself). The original objective wasn't to tax money earned overseas (which is why the overseas tax credit exists), but to tax income earned passively by citizens who wish to avoid paying tax by living overseas. Of course as with everything involved with the IRS, it's gotten more and more complex over the year to the level of absurdity. 

6 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

While I certainly agree with your sediment and conclusion, the overseas income tax issue is much more complex than at first sight (a problem in and of itself).

A Freudian slip or just a typo? It got a laugh from me whichever it was . . . tax being such a depositing issue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

A Freudian slip or just a typo? It got a laugh from me whichever it was . . . tax being such a depositing issue.

Sentiment, yes it was a typo. However as you point out works either way and that goes double with the IRS.  

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Cqman said:

It may feel like that to the US, @Cqman, but I think most countries in the world take a very different view.

You do know guam has lots of vaccines and have a program set up for expats to come here and get the shots. Not why I came here but got my free shots back in March. Oh yeah the quarentine I did for 6 days in a beachfront hotel was also free.

3 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Except you are not taxed twice. Every dollar you earn overseas that's taxed by say Thailand is deducted from your American tax return. 

Yes. But who pays tax in Thailand?  The result is that US people living here  making money online still have to pay tax to the US.

I think they deserve a vaccine from their government.

My government also doesn't help. But at least I am not paying for their lazy attitude.

• Cool 2