News Forum - 300,000 travellers arrive in Thailand during first week of May

Thaiger

About 300,000 international travellers have arrived in Thailand within the first week after the Thailand Pass program was simplified and the Test & Go and Sandbox schemes scrapped on May 1. PM Prayut Chan-o-cha says he’s “happy with the number of visitors” according to Government Spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana. A proportion of the ‘visitors’ continues to be Thais. After removing the Test & Go and Sandbox programs at the start of the month, fully vaccinated visitors don’t need to take any PCR tests either pre-travel or on-arrival. However, unvaccinated or under-vaccinated travellers, who either prefer not to take, or are unable […]

The story 300,000 travellers arrive in Thailand during first week of May as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

13 minutes ago, Nivram said:

300,000 international tourists (if true) is better than zero international tourists.

But still, that would just get 8 Million more people in, in 2022. And "the proportion" of Thais is not quantified. Which may have a reason, too.

• Like 2

I just find the whole thing about tourism numbers and Covid cases utterly boring now. May as well report that the sun is due to rise in the East in the morning! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

And 750,000 arrived in the same week in 2019. So what’s the point? 

The point is 300,000 looks good until you do a comparison. Don't you get the feeling they are out to impress you? 555

19 minutes ago, Guevara said:

The point is 300,000 looks good until you do a comparison. Don't you get the feeling they are out to impress you? 555

Yes, and I’m not! 

I will stick my neck out and predict two things will happen in the coming weeks:

1. Covid numbers will continue to fall. 
2. Tourist numbers will continue to rise. 

Neither predictions require genius level intelligence. 

• Like 4

We have 35 weeks from May 1st to December 31 so given that the 300,000 arrivals in the 1st week of May is accurate and even if we have no weekly increase in numbers which would be unlikely, especially  for the months of July, August, September & December then thats 10.5M plus visitors. If they scrap the remaining covid entry rules down to zero that number would surely significantly increase to maybe even double or more, especially for those months where traditionally more visitors arrive that would be a huge boost to the struggling tourism sector, employment of workers, manufactures and business's in the industry. Fingers crossed that they are not fudging the figures and they have the foresight to drop the remaining restrictions.  

9 minutes ago, Paulw said:

We have 35 weeks from May 1st to December 31 so given that the 300,000 arrivals in the 1st week of May is accurate and even if we have no weekly increase in numbers which would be unlikely, especially  for the months of July, August, September & December then thats 10.5M plus visitors. If they scrap the remaining covid entry rules down to zero that number would surely significantly increase to maybe even double or more, especially for those months where traditionally more visitors arrive that would be a huge boost to the struggling tourism sector, employment of workers, manufactures and business's in the industry. Fingers crossed that they are not fudging the figures and they have the foresight to drop the remaining restrictions.  

I don't think they are fudging the #'s

I'm in Fisherman's Village in Samui now and pretty busy

Bangkok was very busy

Add in I believe Phuket is busy

Beyond some parts of Samui 

I've noticed no real difference than any normal May